VR4 Mods

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Guys,
Actually I want to solve this problem just so that I can drive this car for a year or so. In fact, I've been meaning to change car but I've got so much need for speed that once on a NA, it feels very different. The actual car I'm looking for is a Subaru.

Does anyone here ever from a turbo went down to a NA....I mean those speed-craze ppl....How does it feel not to be able to feel the spooling, boost, and sudden surge of speed.

I know there is the VTEC and all, but turbo is still turbo la. Hahaha..... :D

Experience sharing time......

1 word... AAAaaaarrrggghhhh... ;)

me...down graded to NA auto...kancil oso cannot makan... :(

Originally posted by sum-dum-fuk@Feb 17 2005, 16:39

AAAaaaarrrggghhhh yes... but when it comes to fuel economy... it is HEAVEN! :P

muhahaha....so so lar...

but my VR4 last time had good fuel efficiency too... ;)

Originally posted by sum-dum-fuk@Feb 17 2005, 16:47
muhahaha....so so lar...

but my VR4 last time had good fuel efficiency too... ;)
That one depends on driver's mood le... :D

Originally posted by sum-dum-fuk@Feb 17 2005, 16:39

nvm la... drive slow slow...u taught me 1......

hehe... :lol: :lol: :lol:

let's drive slow n steady n win the race... :P

Just a suggestion. Try to change ur air intake and Fuel pump. R u using turbo or n/a?
How bout ur comp box and wiring??

1. Does your VR4 in a Wira feel a little laggish when you accelerate? When the accelerator pedals are pressed, does anyone experience an empty spot where the engine does not rev immediately. Very minimal.... ( this is on standstill and without any gears )
- That's called turbo lag. Isit around 3500-400 rpm?

2. Does improving the flow of your pipings allow for better idling?
- Nope

3. Does higher fuel pressure and increased injectors provide better idling?
- Nope, such measures are for when your itching for high boost pressures and you don't want your engine to blow up after a few runs into the red line

4. Will a fuel regulator provide better response to a VR4 engine?
- Nope

This is based on my experience, but with an idling problem, most likely the AFM sensor is screwed especially when you start messing with rojak stuff. My mates Iswara VR4 cos he gatal to increase the performance of his car, swapped for Evo 3 stuff (wiring, ECU, sensors) and a 550cc injector (twin nozzle I think) and sometimes just died out. After that, at night idling was soo bad that the car was as if it had a low profile cam installed. Easiest way out for him was to install an SAFC and tune the proper correction in fuelling to solve it

exactly the point there...

alot of ppl still go old skool wit rojak-ing wiring and injectors and etc....
well itz not that we're all rich ppl, but things should be done RIGHT...instead of having all these symptoms..

what many ppl or even some mechanics don realise is...by mating, they've really got to measure up everything..even the ECU itself..as u mentioned, ur mates Iswara running VR4, but EVO-3 wiring and 550cc injectors ? bad rojak.... :D 550cc injectors may be from RX7..or EVo-4 or 5's...but the Evo-3 ECU is taught to manage 510cc injectors..now how is the poor ECU gonna handle 550cc when no one taught him how to control it.. ;) other things not looked into is also the ignition settings..and etc...

if mixing around various wirings to mate is so easy...the jap's and europeans wud be out of jobs soon... :P

hehe...cheers !

Originally posted by carcraze@Feb 15 2005, 15:03
Very little I see VR4 postings nowadays. Is everyone tired of this powerful engine? Anyways, I have a few topics for discussion for those interested. And, if anyone has anything to share, do post in this thread too.

1. Does your VR4 in a Wira feel a little laggish when you accelerate? When the accelerator pedals are pressed, does anyone experience an empty spot where the engine does not rev immediately. Very minimal.... ( this is on standstill and without any gears )

2. Does improving the flow of your pipings allow for better idling?

3. Does higher fuel pressure and increased injectors provide better idling?

4. Will a fuel regulator provide better response to a VR4 engine?
-It depends actually what gearbox are using....if from the lower engines i.e 1.3 or 1.5 g/b where they have very closer ratio a bit from the 1.6 or 1.8 g/b.....the empty spot maybe comes from dirty airfilter or a very low idle engine timing....it can also come from ignition timing or the TPS have been altered without any specifications(main pusing kinda thingy)...

-the flow is not that important on idling.....its the leaking that causes 99% of the usually VR4 gila timing....check for leaks or cracks on every little components from MAF untill intake manifold.....use pressurised technique if u have to.....

-If the idling problems comes from fuel related such as fuel pump or fuel filter than maybe higher pressure fuel pump or (not increased)but cleaned gud working injectors will help.....sumtimes fuel filter also can be a problem....but conversion car owners usually have fuel pump related bcoz of the off specs or poor condition pumps from half cuts.....

-Not VR4 but all actually....(but not always)sumtimes even worst coz the AFR or FPR is not tuned after fixed......must tuned and get the optimal pressure for the injectors to injects flow better....but sumtimes perasaan only.....

what ever mods with VR4....the important thing is change worn out parts first b4 start modding.....prevention is better than cure....once engine KABOOMM then keluar statments like:

"ah stupid ahh VR4 not good engine"
"VR4 problem...get evo better"
"VR4 old aledi..get GSR better"
"VR4 to common lar....get evo or gsr,VR4 not reliable like them"
"VR4 slow lar bcoz old,components not power wan...look TD05 single fin only...better get Evo3...got twin fin - 16G and big G summore"
"VR4???!!!No good lar....better get GSR lar...easy fit....very fast siap wan"

above are quotes from not to say dumb but mostly ppl will say about VR4...sum who says them are owners that have bad experiances...which usually come bcoz of them also....no repair only tau modified saje....but what i really hate n sumtimes pissed is that quotes like above come from ppl who only reads forums,mag's,ask ppl.......and doesnt owned a VR4 but talk like he blew up 3-4 VR4 aledi.... :angry:

:)

hahaha antonio ! thats the way it is ! :lol: :lol: , one more thing , if you guy's notice if anyone who ask for advice in zth regarding engine transplant between the 3 engines like , gsr , evo or vr4 , you`ll see those funny funny kind of reply :lol: . evo newer , gsr more reliable , vr4 too old . when it comes to vr4 , we all kena kutuk like hell man , maybe because vr4 is the strongest engine so people jelouse & thats why they kutuk ? get a life man :lol: :lol: but when it comes to the RB20 , RB26DETT from an R32 or CA18DET from a s13 , 4AGE from a AE86 , they all never kena kutuk , kena puji like hell . i wonder whats happening to our comunity nowdays :lol: .

carcraze ,
your idling problems occur when your aircond is switch on or when your aircond is off ?. if you can tell the symptoms of the car , maybe some members will be able to troubleshoot it , cause basically most of us face the same problem too .

VR4 lousy 1.... so old alr... old alr sure no good 1. not strong enuff to take high boost n HP...very esy to blow 1... :D :D :D

evo newer sure more keng 1..... GSR also can smoke VR4.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by sum-dum-fuk@Feb 18 2005, 08:32
exactly the point there...

alot of ppl still go old skool wit rojak-ing wiring and injectors and etc....
well itz not that we're all rich ppl, but things should be done RIGHT...instead of having all these symptoms..

what many ppl or even some mechanics don realise is...by mating, they've really got to measure up everything..even the ECU itself..as u mentioned, ur mates Iswara running VR4, but EVO-3 wiring and 550cc injectors ? bad rojak.... :D 550cc injectors may be from RX7..or EVo-4 or 5's...but the Evo-3 ECU is taught to manage 510cc injectors..now how is the poor ECU gonna handle 550cc when no one taught him how to control it.. ;) other things not looked into is also the ignition settings..and etc...

if mixing around various wirings to mate is so easy...the jap's and europeans wud be out of jobs soon... :P

hehe...cheers !
Yup, you guessed correct. Those are RX-7 injectors. When he told me he swapped the injectors, I was like WTF?!?!?! Sot ledi ka? But since he didn't know anybetter he went to swap it. When the enigine hot or at night idling is terrible to say the least. SAFC was the easiest way out for him. But the fuelling correction at times is up to +8% if at 0.8 bar and if he opens the bleed vavlves to let boost reach 1.2 bar (which I don't think the turbines can take for long), up to 16% correction. Craziness.

Anyway ignition timing problem for such a setup can be sorted by how? Using the old Apexi ITC or is there a cheaper method?

yes..the old ITC (which is still quite expensive) is the easiest way out..

alternatively...go for piggy back..tell him sell the SAFC..and opt for SMT-6...cheap and efficient..

controls fuelling + ignition + 1 additional injector function... = value for money..

vestax,
Both times. When air-cond on, most of the time when i release my clutch fast, this will happen. When air-cond not on, idling very low and not stabil.

kher,
Eh, eh....i think got more vr4 modders here than gsr.... :P

sdf,
went to see your guy today. He's very helpful and gave me a lot of advise. I will be seeing him wednesday for a check up on the car. Today did not have much time. Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like I'll be going for a management system.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom