Turbo Actuator

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
hi all,
anyone know what is the symptom when the turbo actuator is spoil.
what happen to my car now (B8 180 - vj20), the boost was not able to hold. it only reach max 0.5bar and the boost slowly drop to 0 bar even i didnt let go the throttle. I have hks evc4 to control the boost but the problem still occurs. i try swap the evc4 to tulang ikan but same problem occurs.

bov also tighten and leaking is not happen on the bov. most of the vacuum hose had been replace. idle rpm also nice and not up n down.

pls help...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
There are a few damages that can occur to the actuator.

Spring weak.
Spring jam.
Diaphragm bocor

Symptom
inconsistent boost

Cheap way, add washer to increase the boost again. But there is a limit of boost and it's only for temporary solution.

Wastegate lor... Solve the problem. Get better ones... Stable and reliable. But dun get chicken brand. Price justify the quality.

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
can evo4 actuator use to replace my current one?
heard that the e4 actuator only open at 1 bar (correct me if wrong). will the ebc help to open the it early it let say we set it at 0.8bar.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
heard that the e4 actuator only open at 1 bar (correct me if wrong). will the ebc help to open the it early it let say we set it at 0.8bar.
What do you mean by open..?
U meant open and leak the remaining pressure to the exhaust..?

I thought stock evo's boost is 0.9bar....

I guess U are talking about electronic boost controller (ebc). Well to increase or decrease the boost pressure, there are a few method. It's all about the pushing the actuator with the compressed air in the system.

Like the TD04, the length of the rod that connects to the actuator can be adjusted. So, actually quite easy to adjust.

The boost can also control by giving false pressure from the intercooler system to the actuator by leaking out the air during the pressure transition from the intercooler system to the actuator.

By the way, why would u want to reduce the boost pressure..?

bernardyeo

Known Member
Apr 4, 2007
Better buy an Evo8 or 9 actuator. Some of my friends' Evo 6 and 7 got problems with their actuators already, so I can't imagine how good an Evo4 actuator will be and how long it will last. Like Speed2horizon said, go wastegate.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Better buy an Evo8 or 9 actuator. Some of my friends' Evo 6 and 7 got problems with their actuators already, so I can't imagine how good an Evo4 actuator will be and how long it will last. Like Speed2horizon said, go wastegate.
Ya man.... go for wastegate... Ultimate solution. If got budget, go for synapse... Kekeke..

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
speed2horizon,
y reduce the boost? the answer is simple, the car is not yet ready for that boost for daily use. my stock side mount intercooler still attach on it. so meaning the EBC will actually help to close and open to actuator base on the boost we set, rite? i wondering y my hks evc4 now not able to help to increase the boost base on my setting :(

hehehe...i also know the wastegate is the ultimate solution, but budget is a blocking point and other is it seem not worth for my current small turbo now.:smokin:

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Well, most of the time.. Boost controller is used to increase the boost from minimum. cause there are amount of solenoid valves(depending on models) to leak the pressure to the actuator...

So, by installing that it may not be able to reduce the boost pressure. In rder to rduce the boost prssure, it's either to play around with the actuator rod or maybe change the actuator mod actuator with lower boost rate since it's not like waste gate, can change spring.

at least, that's what I inderstand about boost controller.

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Hi, adding a wastegate would be a cost, before that, must we have a customized header for that particular wastegate?:hmmmm:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hi, adding a wastegate would be a cost, before that, must we have a customized header for that particular wastegate?:hmmmm:
Not necessary a header. U can either mod your existing exhaust manifold. Just add on a pipe n flange for wastegate. Or u can leave your exhaust manifold and mod/get the downpipe before the turbine. But that depends on the type n brand of the turbo you are having...

Bump: Btw, if you are using mitsu's engine the custom banana nowadays are cheap and affordable.

Bump: Btw, if you are using mitsu's engine the custom banana nowadays are cheap and affordable.

Last edited:

jaydee

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
Subang Jaya
Just safe some money and get a GOOD wastegate no matter what turbo u using... alot ppl using the same wastegate for years eventhough they upgrade everything else in the car... Just my 2 cents. :biggrin:

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Not necessary a header. U can either mod your existing exhaust manifold. Just add on a pipe n flange for wastegate. Or u can leave your exhaust manifold and mod/get the downpipe before the turbine. But that depends on the type n brand of the turbo you are having...

Thanks for the information bro. I'll have to start hunting...:love:

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
Just safe some money and get a GOOD wastegate no matter what turbo u using... alot ppl using the same wastegate for years eventhough they upgrade everything else in the car... Just my 2 cents. :biggrin:
Thats so true.. save some money, buy a good one.. if possible a brand new lah.. Me having a very bad luck with actuator oledi also..

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Thats so true.. save some money, buy a good one.. if possible a brand new lah.. Me having a very bad luck with actuator oledi also..
Bro.. can understand ur situation when facing with boost problem. Me worse... having problem with turbo also...

Finally everything settles....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi SifuSifu,
I wanted to change to adjustable as I've been using sport springs and now I want to take it to the next level. But I'm not sure which coilovers to go for. As I've been told BC Racing have better quality and built compared to Gab SS.
Even though with the better build and quality. People still recommend the GAB SS cause the after sales service is much easier and faster compared to BC Racing.

And I also want to know which coilovers is better in terms of performance, ride...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience