Track prepping my EVO!

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Guys,

Self explanatory title. Hahaha..

I am in search of the best OEM suspension right now for the CT9A chassis. I am also in search of an oil cooler. Anything else I should be looking at? Sponsors would be even better.

Please state the item and reason.

Much, much appreciated.

FYI, I am trying to breach the 2 min 30 mark on Sepang using a car that is still street/daily driven with little or NO time attack kinda equipment.

In a nutshell, I want to bring an Evo in almost OEM format to its very limits. It is an adventure!! Anyone else in the same boat as me? Cos i'm kinda tired of seeing the Subaru boys have all the fun in Sepang.

Thanks!

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
elsm80,

The best OEM suspension for CT9A, do you mean Bilstein on E8MR & E9?
You wish to run the car in pure stock? Speed cut, Rev cut, air box, rims & etc...
I'm very please to hear about it.... very interesting...

sub8evo

Known Member
May 26, 2009
Putrajaya
bro,

From my limited experience, a nice set of tyres will easily shave a few seconds off your track time.

Get a set suitable for daily drive, yet good enough for occasional track - eg. Federal RSR, or Toyo T1-R etc.

All the best in your track project !

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Thanks for the responses guys but here are my parameters for what I deem as OEM friendly.

OEM grade suspension - meaning the suspension must have come from an evo.
Engine mods - no opening of block, I.e. No forged cranks, pistons, strokers, huge turbines. Intercoolers, oil coolers, air filters, exhaust and ECU mods are allowed.
Body work - no cutting of panels, roof pillars, removal of tar and overextensive removal of weight

In short, the car CANNOT be extreme, something your mum/gf/dad can't drive.

I find it a lot more satisfying to campaign a car that is quick without resorting to all out Tsukuba time attack spec. It ultimately means that my time is resultant of my skill at driving and setting up rather than just throwing my money and not knowing what made me do a good time.

Btw, I already am using R888s for my track days.

Thanks.

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
What are your timings on R888s now? You should probably try the Advan 050s.

Tyres make hell of a difference. I can shave 5 seconds off when changing from road tyres (Kumho KU36) to semislicks (A050).

It's not easy to go beyond 2'30s with the mods you mention. Sepang is a high speed circuit with lots of straights, high speed sweepers and hard braking. You'll need quite a hefty number of horses. Engine mods not only make your car go faster, but also more reliable. That doesn't mean your don't need skill. It's much more difficult to control a powerful car than a close-to-stock car.

Good luck on your project.

Aug 8, 2008
Best OEM grade suspension for CT9A = Bilstein from Evo8MR / Evo 9

No modified exhaust system , filters ?
sounds like you are running 100 % stock

Slowboy

Known Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, i really support your intention to break the subaru domination for the sepang track day.

In my opinion 2:30 is impossible to achieved with pure stock condition unless you willing to upgrade the handling section with the stock engine. Find good adjustable, increase the body rigidity with all the bar, go with 265/17 semi slick. If you willing to add new turbo it would be even better.

Good luck. You are preparing for this weekend trackday?

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Hey guys,
The responses have all been supportive to date but they unfortunately give no insight into extracting max performance out of the CT9A chassis. Is there any other Evo driver who is in the same position?
Anybody here has previous data based on tracking their Evos, anybody with some indicatory times? Setup type?

Thanks!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
When the Evo screams, STI should just sit back, relax, and learn. Coz it ain no use chasin...

dr_snape_79

500 RPM
Sep 10, 2006
Perak
Guys,

Self explanatory title. Hahaha..

I am in search of the best OEM suspension right now for the CT9A chassis. I am also in search of an oil cooler. Anything else I should be looking at? Sponsors would be even better.

Please state the item and reason.

Much, much appreciated.

FYI, I am trying to breach the 2 min 30 mark on Sepang using a car that is still street/daily driven with little or NO time attack kinda equipment.

In a nutshell, I want to bring an Evo in almost OEM format to its very limits. It is an adventure!! Anyone else in the same boat as me? Cos i'm kinda tired of seeing the Subaru boys have all the fun in Sepang.

Thanks!
Good luck to u bro. Don't forget to bite a little those Subaru Boys.. :driver::driver:

Slowboy

Known Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys,
The responses have all been supportive to date but they unfortunately give no insight into extracting max performance out of the CT9A chassis. Is there any other Evo driver who is in the same position?
Anybody here has previous data based on tracking their Evos, anybody with some indicatory times? Setup type?

Thanks!
If you just tracking with all the stock condition including suspension and with r888 i would say your timing around 2:37 and above. With roughly 340whp and 47kgm torque with good handling, it would be possible 2:30 and above. Just my opinion on my fren track timing.

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
Ask Mr. P go with his Red Dragon to Sepang ... hehe ...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All,

Anyone here have experience different reading when dynoing with different gear(example 3rd or 4th or 5th) on a Dynojet?

Knowing that dynojet utilizing fix mass and how fast(time) to accelerate the dyno roller,so I was thinking if we were to use lower gear,examples 3rd gear ,we may have better acceleration/shorter timer compare to dyno with 4th or 5th due to shorter gear ratio which may lead to higher whp reading?
I heard some tuner will use gear with gear ratio near to 1,but...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience