Toyota Levin Return

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry to pop the bubble, guys, but strictly speaking this is not a Levin successor, and the car isn't even newly released.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AFAIK, the Levin nameplate was discontinued in Japan after AE111 but continued to be used in Aussie for their hatchback Corollas. It's a Levin in name only as spiritually, it does not share the characteristics of the Levins we know and love (101/111).

The ZZE122 Levin in Aussie did come with 2ZZGE engine and 6 speed manual making it somewhat more performance oriented, but the Levin ZR posted in this thread has actually been out for some time now and, if I'm not mistaken, uses the engine that is no different to our 1.8E/1.8G Altis. Only difference is that it gets the option of manual transmission.

So yeah.. Toyota has pretty much fallen down the pecking order in terms of the performance aspect of mass production vehicles if you compare to the likes of VW, Honda. Can't blame them as they have shifted their focus on going eco and green. New Corolla, replacement for the current Altis, will be out next year but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting something fun like a 6 speed manual.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Sorry to pop the bubble, guys, but strictly speaking this is not a Levin successor, and the car isn't even newly released.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AFAIK, the Levin nameplate was discontinued in Japan after AE111 but continued to be used in Aussie for their hatchback Corollas. It's a Levin in name only as spiritually, it does not share the characteristics of the Levins we know and love (101/111).

The ZZE122 Levin in Aussie did come with 2ZZGE engine and 6 speed manual making it somewhat more performance oriented, but the Levin ZR posted in this thread has actually been out for some time now and, if I'm not mistaken, uses the engine that is no different to our 1.8E/1.8G Altis. Only difference is that it gets the option of manual transmission.

So yeah.. Toyota has pretty much fallen down the pecking order in terms of the performance aspect of mass production vehicles if you compare to the likes of VW, Honda. Can't blame them as they have shifted their focus on going eco and green. New Corolla, replacement for the current Altis, will be out next year but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting something fun like a 6 speed manual.
This is kinda like calling the new eco car Mitsubishi Mirage as the successor of the old Mirage Cyborg R.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Sorry.. I thought i wanna share what i know only

Like people always say 'sharing is caring'

Furthermore, i see the Toyota forum is slowing down a bit.. Juz wanna cheer things up n get people posting :biggrin:

My teacher once said.. If u share ur knowledge, u'll get more knowledge :wink:
---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------[/SIZE]

4U-GSE is also same with FA20 in BRZ. That one is not really a true Toyota engine but it is not a fully Subaru engine either.
Even the 4AGE 20V head was designed by Yamaha :wink:

Car / motor manufacturers share knowledge with others too :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The spec is so so only other than the 6 speed manual.
The front looks ok but the whole body shape doesn't look good IMHO.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Furthermore, i see the Toyota forum is slowing down a bit.. Juz wanna cheer things up n get people posting :biggrin:

---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Yamaha often worked closely with Toyota when it comes to engine. 3S-GE BEAMS also got involve Yamaha. 1LR-GUE V10 in LFA also is developed with Yamaha. Still got a few more engines I think.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Very true and yes we sort of exchange knowledge on what we know, so is knowledge gain. No one can say they know everything....:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Sharing is indeed caring. Human nature to share something good to friends and not keep it to themselves.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com

I must thank you for the effort. What a passionate Toyota guy :wavey:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Too bad so much difference from concept car....concept will be great if it is real. To be frank kinda disappointed and somehow I still find the 1st Gen Altis looks better.... a.k.a. 9th Gen Corolla

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Too bad so much difference from concept car....concept will be great if it is real. To be frank kinda disappointed and somehow I still find the 1st Gen Altis looks better.... a.k.a. 9th Gen Corolla

Still got some very slight resemblance. :rofl:

But not all concepts look great and not all have a big difference with the production car.

Prototype/Concept X looks very similar with Lancer Evolution X.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Scare if launch like this, will kill Camry so got to degrade a bit....hahahahaha

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry D7zul, not hentam-ing you or anything, I'm also merely sharing what I know..:biggrin:

Like you, I was also excited when the Levin ZR 6 speed came up on a "Toyota Levin" google search and had a good watch of the youtube videos posted by the Aussie Toyota dealer, but upon more research I was disappointed to find that it was merely a Levin in name..

P.S. Am I the only one who feels that Toyota cars are being more and more overpriced? I mean, close to 140k for an Altis? That was the price of the old Camry 2.0, wasn't it?

Also in terms of looks, anyone agrees that the current generation (Vios, upcoming Altis, Camry) are a step down from their immediate predecessors?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

good day again everyone! just yesterday i was having a simple proper car wash technique/cleaning lesson for one of my friend who send her car precious to roadside car wash once she got her car. i saw the picture caption at facebook she wrote "and then spilled milk tea all over it right after the car wash" can guess what kinda milk tea?

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

tadaa...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience