Toyota Celica GT 5th Generation (1990), Need some help to revamp this old-timer

May 14, 2006
Full story here:

Hiye guys, back in 1991 my dad bought a Toyota Celica when we were in the USA. In 1995 my family brought this Toyota Celica to Malaysia when we moved back here. Yes, left-hand drive. The car served us well throughout the years and gave us its ups and downs. One fine day back in about 2001, the car finally gave in and started some major leaking issues and my dad then decided to get a japanese half-cut so we could revive the car. As a simple family in a small beach town, we're not automobile experts so we sent the car to a small workshop by the beach-side to be worked on.

When the car first emerged, it was nice to see the Celica finally zooming on its wheels again. It was for the first time a right-hand drive vehicle, which had a reasonable & cruisable 140bhp 5S-FE engine. The air-conditioning was working nicely with its new interface. However, our perspective of things soon changed as we found that problems seemed to pop-out one by one. First I found that the engine wasn't really working properly as it began to cut off at speeds exceeding about 120kmph. Its not a limiter because the speeds that the engine cuts at, varies and is more frequent at higher speeds. Then the air-conditioning unit burned out and the buttons are no longer funtioning. I also found that the wiring for the audio were improperly done. To fix things up, I went to a more sophisticated workshop in Bangsar to checkout whether the things could be fixxed. Unfortunately according to the workshop, the wiring harness is not complete and alot of the components need to be replaced rather than fixxed.
This car is in need of some work and I think its finally time that the car is revamped again or some might say, "Pimp My Ride" a little bit. I'm hoping to do alot of revival to the car in terms of usability, mostly to make it a nice cruiser once again. I'm not a racer and have no intention of making this car into a street racer though I do enjoy the occasional sprint. I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do with a 1990 5th Gen Toyota Celica from people who have good experience with cars and especially older Toyota's. I intend to work on the folllowing criteria:

- Half-cut to switch dashboard (hopefully this will fix the faulty air-con panel unit which burned out afew years ago and get a newer feel)
- Half-cut to switch engine (I'm hoping to get a 220+/-bhp 3S-GTE just for some good runs)
- Rear drum to brake disc conversion (Rear drums are faulty)
- Rear coil to Mcpherson strut conversion (looking for a smoother ride)
- 4WD converson (for some better control if possible)
- 7th Gen shifter mod (for faster, smoother gear changes)

I'm not much of a car expert but I have taken some time to study a little bit about my family's Toyota. Currently, I am looking for a reliable and affordable workshop to execute these projects, if possible in the Cheras area. I dont mind the place if its really good though. I also need to look for a half-cut. Anyhow, I appreciate any contributing suggestions you may have to offer. Feel free to post any comments or questions too. Thanx!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I dont wanna sound pesimistic, but from the technicality POV, I anticipate there is going to be a hell of a conversion work. JPJ legality issues follow suit.

bretbaby

Known Member
Jul 8, 2005
Malaysia
i'm from d 3s gen club,mostly 5&6 gen celica ...we most of d parts that u want......except d gear from 7gen........where do you stay?? or mayb u can join d club for further info of your car....

tom's

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
subang
www.zerotohundred.com
just wondering......is your car red colour.....celica coupe instead of hatchback???

greenferoz

May 14, 2006
I dont wanna sound pesimistic, but from the technicality POV, I anticipate there is going to be a hell of a conversion work. JPJ legality issues follow suit.
True that there would be quite a major conversion but it has been done before and considering the condition of the car, I believe I should be able to get a JPJ approval.

i'm from d 3s gen club,mostly 5&6 gen celica ...we most of d parts that u want......except d gear from 7gen........where do you stay?? or mayb u can join d club for further info of your car....
Cool, I didn't know there's a club out there for these cars. I think I would be quite interested to join. I'm mostly in the Cyberjaya/Cheras area. Lemme know how I can get in contact with you guys.

just wondering......is your car red colour.....celica coupe instead of hatchback???
Yeap, the car is red and I believe is a coupe as the boot design is different than the usual Celicas you see around KL. It can open without lifting the rear windshield. How did you know?

wcc5505

Known Member
Apr 18, 2005
Pj
Harlooo.... hehhe GReen msg me 012 276 4313 (john) n come to this week friday gahtering at (dono where yet...) msg me n i'll msg u the location for this friday....

Bret.......hows your car?? remenber tomolo masuk stock at my house hahhaha

kanazai2001

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
home
celica coupe...

greenferoz said:
Full story here:

This car is in need of some work and I think its finally time that the car is revamped again or some might say, "Pimp My Ride" a little bit. I'm hoping to do alot of revival to the car in terms of usability, mostly to make it a nice cruiser once again. I'm not a racer and have no intention of making this car into a street racer though I do enjoy the occasional sprint. I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do with a 1990 5th Gen Toyota Celica from people who have good experience with cars and especially older Toyota's. I intend to work on the folllowing criteria:

- Half-cut to switch dashboard (hopefully this will fix the faulty air-con panel unit which burned out afew years ago and get a newer feel)
- Half-cut to switch engine (I'm hoping to get a 220+/-bhp 3S-GTE just for some good runs)

I'm not much of a car expert but I have taken some time to study a little bit about my family's Toyota. Currently, I am looking for a reliable and affordable workshop to execute these projects, if possible in the Cheras area. I dont mind the place if its really good though. I also need to look for a half-cut. Anyhow, I appreciate any contributing suggestions you may have to offer. Feel free to post any comments or questions too. Thanx!

hmm... may be a bit too late to post something here...
is ur car fixed?
basically just some summary for what u r looking for...

* yes... u can do a LHDrive to RHDrive conversion... basically u need an halfcut from jap...

* 2nd gen 3SGTE gave 220+ hp... 3rd gen gave 235hp... 4th gen (found in caldina GT4) gave 260hp... y dont consider a hybrid... 5SGTE... so u dont need to go for JPJ inspection...

* yes, it is simple... besides, i have 2 sets of FWD 5th gen celica rear disc brake n 1 set of FWD 5th gen celica front disc brake with me...

* guess u r looking for absorber... coz ori is Mcpherson strut...

* u can do this if u r not intended to go for JPJ to do inspection... to do this u need a ST185 rear clip (floorpan) which i believed it is not direct fit into ur celica coupe...

* guess u r looking for short shifter... u cannt fit in 7th gen short shifter but u can get a 5th gen short shifter from TRD locally...

johnny is the presidon of 3S club as mentioned by baby bret... anyone is welcomed to join... =)

http://www.3S-gen.com/forum/
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=75922&page=93

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Am plannin to get my ride re-painted and restore its ol skool look. Its a 1985 Toyota Cressida.

Currently :
- rust spots all over the car
- paint starts to flake, espcially at the trunk area.
- Big holes caused by the blardy rusts...(Behind rear wheel mudflap)
- Mini dents. Accumulated over d years.(Motorbike handle bars, plp leaning, etc) :angry:

My questions are:
- Will the cost be cheaper if I were to re-paint the car with the same color (ori paint)??

- Re-welding and bondo 'ing'...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience