Top mount/front mount

Top or front mounted intercooler is better? In terms or performance and looks. Pls give ur feedback

• Top mount

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Front mount

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Ok. i am still deciding if to leave my intercooler at the top? or bring it to the front? I am driving a kelisa with L7 under the hood. Thanks for ur feedbacks.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
effectiveness,
for what i know front mount is always better since it is exposed directly to the incoming air. your car move and the velocity of air ram into your intercooler will be faster than a top mount i/c, unless ofcourse your front mount i/c is blocked by the bumper.

cool factor,
its all up to you. top mount i/c and you get a cool looking hood scoop. front mount i/c then you can "show" it. i always like those ARC i/c with the "ARC" letter printed on them.

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
eh?
oh well,its juz my thots,2sen
top mount piping would be shorter than front mount,thus,air travel shorter distance,less lag,but small i/c
front mount,longer piping,travel more,more lag,but big i/c
got good and bad
for a kelisa front i/c,i dun think it looks nice coz its small...
not really garang,but ppl know u got turbo
top mount got air scoop,ppl wouldn't be sure if its for i/c or show..
u sukak

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
i'm using front mount with upgraded turbo but i dont feel much lag competing with top mounted intercooler L2 powerplant with upgraded turbo too.. it's all about how precise u tune it.. leaving no blank spot on acceleration.. when ppl say front mount sucks big time to replace out top mounted one, i dont think so.. though using front mount i wouldnt feel the 'kick' anymore due to the intercooler is less restrictive (the air velocity is much more linear) but the power is good enough in mid rev when your turbo start kicking in.. some keicar fella tested with my setup and they can testify on my ride i guess..

u gotta do it to believe..

there is a front mount intercooler unit for sale here with the inlet and outlet modified to suit the L-series powerplant.. from what i see, it's 90% similar to flamefox's intercooler..

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
hey guys,

what hasnt been mentioned is that a top mounted intercooler will be more prone to heatsoak especially in the hot Malaysian climate which drastically reduces the cooling efficiency.. one way of overcoming this is to either have water spray or better still, have it mounted up front..

the cons of having a front mount intercooler is longer piping and more prone to damage (small rocks, etc).. its up to you to decide; for a stock car maybe top mounted is ok but once u start pushing more power than u might want to consider a front mounted unit as they have a larger surface area as well.. there are exceptions such as STI coolers and the like..

hope this adds to the conversation

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Hmm.. thanks guys. So i might go for front mount.. at the same time.. upgrade the turbine a bit. Wat's the smalles ball bearing turbine?

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
RHF3 from L5.. and if not mistaken L9 also got... not sure which model.. but that turbo is even smaller than L2 turbo

would suggest u go find Garrett GT12 or GT15 Ball Bearing turbo or cheap cheap dei find RHF4

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by equin0x@Dec 6 2004, 12:52
RHF3 from L5.. and if not mistaken L9 also got... not sure which model.. but that turbo is even smaller than L2 turbo

would suggest u go find Garrett GT12 or GT15 Ball Bearing turbo or cheap cheap dei find RHF4
Thanks Equi... the RHF4 is ball bearing lo? and the size.. compared to my stock L7 turbine? I just want a bit bigger only.. but ball bearing. tq tq. :)

Oh.. the GT12 or GT15... is it very big? Rough price for RHF4, GT12 and GT15?

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
GT12 and GT15? u gotta ask Garrett dealer if they carry these few small sized turbo in or not.. rough price for a RHF4 should be rm500+/- depending on location,situation and condition

keropok

Known Member
Oct 26, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry....menyibuk sikit... :lol: do you you need to modify it (RHF4) to fit into a L2S....anything else to upgrade on the engine side..... :huh:

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
yes.. their flange is diff.. anything else than stokc turbo gotta modify.. even L5 turbo dont fit in L2 turbo manifold.

preferably a thicker metal head gasket.

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
How abt RHF4 fitting into L7? any mods required?

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
Originally posted by flamefox850@Dec 6 2004, 14:08
want to menyibuk also...haha..agree totally what shawn said :)
i also wanna menyibuk... u wanna agree with which part? :P

by the way musangapi.. does this intercooler look like yours?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The overall new-vehicle initial quality survey in Malaysia has shown a small decline this year compared to 2009, according to the J.D.Power Asia Pacific 2010 Malaysia Initial Quality Survey.

Entering its eighth year, the survey takes into account the quality of a new-vehicle during the first two to six months of ownership by measuring more...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience