there r something strange about my brake..

sam1741

1,000 RPM
hi everyone...

there r something strange about my brake...
i feels that there r 2 'layers' when press ....

when press.. then reach the first 'layer'
feels abit like when press clutch...
then i can feel the brake pad slightly eat, but
not eat a lot

then press a bit more still same

then press more when reach the 'second layer'
only can feel the pad eating...

what happened..? what is spoil?
i check brake fluid still full.. :(

anyone can help plz?

Is your car brand new ? If yes, the break need to "sit in" together between the rotor and the break pad. It usually takes about 500km for the brand new brakes to sit in. On the other hand, if not brand new, you need to ask your mech to check your break rotor (disc break) for uneven sign like deep lining together with your break pad. Or if you already change a high performance break pads, it needs higher temp for it to work properly.
Hope these suggestion would help. :D

hi... my car is old car...
later i go take off the wheel to check the disc.....
rear is drum ....

is like
example this line show how deep i press
from left to right

------1---------------2######

from '1' to '2' feels the same all the way.. like the brake eats a bit
and at '#' feels like normal brake..

tighten ur rear drum brakes, they may be loose. what you are experiencing is free play on the brakes. a bit of freeplay is normal, too much freeplay means you might have loose drums, or if you have all round disc brakes, your rotors may be scored and grooved up, making the travel to the brakes further than normal.

anyway, for drum brakes, they are a quick fix, and tightening drum brakes are all part of regular servicing of brakes. any mech should know abt this. after this u may also notice ur handbrake lever travel is shorter.

If nothing wrong with the disc, then check your master pump and the rear drum master pump for leaking.
Good luck.

yes.. something wrong with my handbrake also
when the car is moving
pull the handbrake wont stop one
(normal car will stop when pull handbrake..)

Originally posted by lix@Mar 1 2005, 08:48
Is your car brand new ? If yes, the break need to "sit in" together between the rotor and the break pad. It usually takes about 500km for the brand new brakes to sit in. On the other hand, if not brand new, you need to ask your mech to check your break rotor (disc break) for uneven sign like deep lining together with your break pad. Or if you already change a high performance break pads, it needs higher temp for it to work properly.
Hope these suggestion would help. :D
firstly allow me to correct you mr lix; the appropriate term is 'bedding-in' - the disc rotor surface looks flat but actually no. so, this process allows maximum contact between brake pad and disc rotor.

to mr sam, if the problem happens repeatedly, it seems there is trapped air inside the hydarulic system. thus, lowering brake efficiency. bleeding may solve the problem. if ur car more than ten years old and u kenot remember when the last time u change brake fluid, it wud be wise to do so.

if problem persists, check entire system. it cud be anything...from jammed brake shoes, or master pump internal leak (worn out piston rubber - replace repair kit) to worn out pads/shoes and malfunction vacuum servo pump.

if got leak, sure can see where is leak and ur pedal feel like clutch..can reach floor.

toyota strongly recommends brake fluid change every 20,000km interval. their DOT3 brake fluid is white in colour but it will turn to dark brown to show that it is time to change. slightly more expensive but a good reminder nevertheless.

gud luck to you..

oic..

so for now.. i take the car to change fluid first
then see if the problem persist?

Originally posted by sam1741@Mar 1 2005, 13:55
oic..

so for now.. i take the car to change fluid first
then see if the problem persist?
it is inexpensive to bleed complete system. while u r doing that, why dont check all the brakes together? the very important factor in our car is not the engine, but the brakes. :D

yup, i agree with zan, its probably air trap.. but try to adjust ur hand brake oso.. the max should be around 4 clicks.. i ussualy adjust until 1 click also need alot of effort.. :lol:

oic.....

then should go to change the fluid..
then ask the mechanic got other thing wrong or not

bro...you adjust the handbrake and adjust the drums = same thing.

just adjust the drum brakes and your problem will go away. its a very common problem with drum brake cars. and is listed in the things to do when car comes in for service. if you have air trapped in ur system the symptoms are a spongy pedal and inconsistent stopping. i am pretty sure ur drums are loose thats all. check that first.

try this test.

since u say ur h/brake is loose, click it up one click. you will notice that ur brake pedal freeplay is less now. click the h/brake up to the 2nd click. ur freeplay will be even less.

Originally posted by tajulsans@Mar 1 2005, 20:03
yup, i agree with zan, its probably air trap.. but try to adjust ur hand brake oso.. the max should be around 4 clicks.. i ussualy adjust until 1 click also need alot of effort.. :lol:
1 click only? wahh..can park ur car at gunung kinabalu. sure kenot jatuh!

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom