Temporary Solution to Msn Messenger Login Problem~!

N0eL

Known Member
Apr 11, 2006
Temporary Solution for Msn Messenger Login Problem~!

For those of you who can't login to Msn Messenger since today. Here is a temporary solution for you ~!

Open with Notepad: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ho�sts

Add these 2 lines to the bottom:

65.54.239.80 messenger.hotmail.com
65.54.239.80 dp.msnmessenger.akadns.net

Save it and restart WLM
Make sure you remove it in say 2 days

Sample of what the file will look like :

# Copyright � 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost
65 .54.239.80 messenger.hotmail.com
65 .54.239.80 dp.msnmessenger.akadns.net

Source : http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=13646

Last edited:

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
nowdays when i login to msn.. theres seems lots of unknown user want to add me. seriously when i add... they never online or such..

sonictheory

2,000 RPM
Dec 10, 2004
Selangor, Malaysia
Visit site
k_takuya, i think it's some spammer lah....i used to be one of it too, maybe now too...everytime i login sure got ppl add me, with chinese name... den some sudenly sent me address...i know sure virus/trojan...del them straight away, del all other unknown user also, now no more liao...at least for now...

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
alien,
I can login since this morning at 5am. Now also can. Maybe it's something to do with the so-called streamyx upgrade? try using dns 202.188.0.132 instead of 202.188.0.133
I ain't sure if that helps or not hehehe but can give it a try lor

szekeiemme

3,000 RPM
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
thanks much!!! but i accidently open 1 wif words.. not notepad.. n de icon change.. so how?

kelvio

1,000 RPM
Jan 16, 2005
selangor
www.geocities.com
i tought its my connection/ pc problem

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
y must remove in 2 days?if not?computer PITCHA?

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
szekeiemme said:
thanks much!!! but i accidently open 1 wif words.. not notepad.. n de icon change.. so how?
If you have opened the file /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts , then there isn't a way the icon can change. Refer to the below pic.

Note that there are 2 file that are similar (on my PC, that is). One is the "hosts" and one is the "hosts.msn" file. For the "hosts" file, you will not be able to set an application to associate with the file permanently, simply because the filename does not have an extension (example:- rempitsucks.die , ilovedim.sum , whereby the .die and the .sum are known as file extensions.)
Since you mentioned that you accidentally opened it with MS Word and now the icon has changed to that of MS Word, you may have opened the hosts.msn and accidentally set all files with the .msn extension to be opened by MS Word. Refer again to the pic below.

Perhaps, while you were attempting to open the file (shown in red circle), you may not have noticed the ticked option in the red box. This option simply means "open all files with .msn extension with MS Word all the time". Once you click OK, it will register all files with .msn file extension to MS Word. If you feel that it's pointless to relate MS Word to .msn files, open Windows Explorer. Then go to TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS. See pic below.

The FOLDER OPTIONS box will pop out. Go to the tab, FILE TYPES. Then, look for the .msn file association. Refer to the pic below.

Notice the highlighted item. Notice also the "DETAILS OF 'MSN' extension" below the red circle. This is to tell you that .msn is associated with MS Word.
Click on delete and the association will be deleted. That should do the trick.

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
K_Takuya said:
nowdays when i login to msn.. theres seems lots of unknown user want to add me. seriously when i add... they never online or such..
i block them instead... imagine... 10 to 20 request coming at one go.. crazy.. i just select all and block.. peace of mind.

N0eL

Known Member
Apr 11, 2006
simonchangwaimun said:
y must remove in 2 days?if not?computer PITCHA?
Wont pitcha la.. later cannot have cybersex with fake angelina jolie. That server is temp one coz the main one was down the other day mah.. so now can delete the 2 lines d since main server up and running again