Team Raikkonen taking shape for WRC

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

For all the driving talent in the world that he possesses, the notion of a contract and its binding terms still manages to escape the ‘Ice Man’ Kimi Raikkonen. The cool Finn still kept the silver of McLaren hanging in his closet as he discussed terms to don the scarlet red of Ferrari, just in case the negotiations fell through.

Following that, Ferrari then offered him a huge cash payment, the likes that somebody of even his earning prowess couldn’t refuse, to vacate his Formula One seat on the team. So he moved to the natural calling of all Finnish drivers, rallying, with some moderate results in the World Rally Championship.

The next year, he was in the midst of a return to Formula One, with reports placing him on the John Hancock end of an agreement with Renault. That deal went sour and the Finn was on the hunt again.

Now however, it would appear that he has found a way to avoid the iron-clamp of a contract, by forming his own team. Having confirmed his participation in the Rally Sweden just days before the deadline, reports are indicating that he will be launching his own WRC team for this year.

The team will be called “ICE 1’ in reference to his nickname and his weapon of choice will be the Citroen DS3 WRC. As for the business end of the team, financial support will supposedly be channelled from Raikkonen’s own pool of sponsors.

It could be quite an interesting development if it does indeed happen and hopefully having his own team will spur the Finn to build on his previous performance.

Source: ESPN

kevindass

Oct 26, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
kimi has his own way of doing things.
rather inspiring to know his starting his own team now. last year-end was a blow for him as his father passed on just days before Christmas.

..always a kimi fan.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I wish he would just come back to F1!
Anyway, I hope he can perform better in WRC this year.

silvermachine

Nov 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I was happy to see this news. At least he didnt stop racing. I thought he would have retired after his father's death.
At least he is continuing with racing..

I believe most of us from here would love to see KIMI returning back to F1. But is seems that he his returning back to F1 is very unlikely in the future.

Mark Webber's contracts end in the end of this season.. lets see what Red Bull does.. Although Red Bull is no more sponsoring KIMI RAIKKONEN.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Since we are at the topic of GT-R's, check out this 90's cheesy fun video, created Initial D style, ported in real life dramatic driving. 2 cars set to battle each other in an older Datsun Skyline GT-R KPGC10 and a newer Nissan Skyline GT-R R32. As they drive comically up and down the mountains, they do the amazing J turn around the cone as like Initial D races (in a funny way) and they got lucky and managed to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience