Support needed for APRC event

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
Kookaburra said:
The organisers are not exactly making it easy to support the rally :

1. 2 rounds in Perlis - why? Because the event is supported by the Perlis Motor Club, not because there are lots of rally fans there

2. 1st round in Putrajaya at construction site - and only 3 SS. WTF?

3. Promotional materials - when you get to the event, you don't get a start list, who is driving what car, etc like the programme at football matches. Sometimes the spectator guide given out points out the viewing areas but at the viewing areas no signage.

Well, I am sure there are more issues......but can't be bothered.
if you are a real fan, and keen on rallying, all those complaints are just small matters. perlis is for sure, very far, but i used to spectate on WRC events, where we had to just drive 2 hours from rally start to watch a stage. there will even be people who camp on the roadside, just to make sure they get the best views.

remember, when you go support, you're not just there to support the organisers, but to support the people who take part. there are some pretty passionate privateers with very little budget who go rallying without service crews even.

killerloop25

Known Member
Aug 31, 2004
MRC Round 3

Anyone here know how to upload pictures? I just got back after covering the MRC in Port Dickson and have a bunch of pictures which I can spare for viewing. Kookaburra.... I travelled all the way from Penang to Port Dickson and on top of it I took two days of leave just to cover the rally. The saying goes...if you want it there is a thousand ways but if you don't there's always a million excuses.
There will be more participants in the Perlis rally then the rest and not because its being organise by Perlis Motorsports Club. Try to get more involve before pasing judgements.
To those of you who want to try rallying, Perlis would be a good start.
I know a husband/wife couple who have no sponsors at all, they are just ordinary working people who did not inherit any weatlh but are still rallying with a daily used satria. Salute to Charles David and Melinda Gomez from the 1.6 NA category.

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
Don't get me wrong, rallying is a wonderful sports and a real test of driver's skills. Those privateers are to be commended as are the fans. I know a rally driver very well and it saddens me to see the effort and money he put into rallying at events which do not justify showcasing his real talents.

Should the management expect everyone to be so dedicated? After all, are they promoting a private race between die hard rally drivers in front of die hard fans or do they want to broaden the sport?

You can't expect the public to turn up just by saying "please support Malaysian rallying", rite? If you are a real fan, of course those complaints are small matters, then seems to me the organisers are short changing the real fans.

killerloop25

Known Member
Aug 31, 2004
Most of our local rally drivers have already fled to race in China. The Gunaseelan himself is racing for the VW works team in China. Mainly because of the money that the Chinese is willing to pay them. An offer was even made to Karam himself but KAram still insist on driveing for the proton pert.

The rally in Perlis will be a good one. Rumours is that Guna will be taking part with his Proton Putra in the Perlis round. That will make the rest of the pack run for their money.

Kookuburra...Rallying in Malaysia is lacking of sponsorship, the sports ministry's support and most of all fundings. To some extent, I feel that the sports ministry is trying to kill not only rally but all local motorsports in this country except F1. APRC is just around the corner, do you see the tourism or sports minitry doing anything?

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
hi killerloop, you were there at PD? i met another zth member, xarrax.

anyways.. rallies being far from where everyone lives is a problem that many rallies, even WRC rounds have to face. For WRC, they usually try to slot in a "super special" stage near the city, just to get the spirit of the event to as many people as possible. In Malaysia, they used to do it at the lake gardens in KL. Silverstone tarmac rally did it at the taiping lake gardens..

i guess putrajaya was probably the best bet of rally fans who didnt want to go too far. it was the closest event to KL.

killerloop25

Known Member
Aug 31, 2004
YEs, I was there covering the event for a magazine. And I'll be in Perlis as well on the 25-26 June.

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
cool. which magazine are you from may i ask? btw, were you at trengganu last weekend for the tarmac rally?

killerloop25

Known Member
Aug 31, 2004
Yes I have. I got one which he made a jump. Not a very high one like the evo's but its still ok. Actually I got a few.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello everyone.

I'm using 205/40/17 now. I'd like to change to bigger tires because the ride is kinda harsh now. I'm hoping for 215/45/17. One is problem is that bigger tires will hit my absorbers. I asked some tire shops and they said 205/40 is the biggest i can go. They even said wheel spacers are not so good. I'm driving an oldschool Mazda EC, it's a 2 door chassis based on Mazda BG. So the suspension system is exactly the same but not sure about the offset. The original rims had a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience