Strange Popping Noise from My Exhaust

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
[youtube]MkHhT2ElVaQ[/youtube]

When I step on the accelerator and leg go there is some popping noise. Any idea why is there a popping noise? There is no engine check light though. Did a search on youtube and other Satria Neos that have after market exhaust seems to have this popping noise as well. Is there a defect or something?

Btw, there is quite a bit of smoke as well. No idea why.

holysniper

Known Member
May 26, 2011
N/A
running abit rich due to not tuned..

but i kinda like the sound.. :D

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

running abit rich due to not tuned..

but i kinda like the sound.. :D

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
looks like ur car is normal

white smoke during cold start could be from condensation...signs of a healthy engine

popping sound after change exhaust is also normal... mostly due to unburnt fuel..also normal since car manufacturers tend to set the a/f a lil rich for reliability purposes

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
looks like ur car is normal

white smoke during cold start could be from condensation...signs of a healthy engine

popping sound after change exhaust is also normal... mostly due to unburnt fuel..also normal since car manufacturers tend to set the a/f a lil rich for reliability purposes
Hi Thanks! I believe its due to condensation. Cause right now there is no smoke at all.

reefdee

Known Member
Mar 29, 2010
Putrajaya
if you hate the popping sound, you can get a tuner to use PDT and slightly tune your ecu for a smoother exhaust note.. last time when i went from stock to full hotbits system, it pops like mad and i felt the car loss power when it pops during driving (could just be my feelings).. so anyways i went to my reguler tuner for PDT and it was smooth driving later..

reefdee

Known Member
Mar 29, 2010
Putrajaya
PDT is short form for proton diagnostic tool if i'm not mistaken.. its the tool that tuners use to connect to the neo's ECU and adjust some parameters in the ECU.. most branded 4-2-1 extractors are good be it marco, everco, hotbits, powerzone and such but to use those extractors with stock midsection and muffler is a big no unless you dont care how your muffler will sound.. because both the stock midbox and most probably the stock muffler too has no or almost none fiber material, your exhaust note will sound like, how should i say it, empty tin can sound.. it will sound like an old school 2 stroker kapchai.. :)

i would suggest u atleast change your rear muffler with the extractor upgrade and then later add a midbox to reduce the exhaust volume if you find it too loud..

holysniper

Known Member
May 26, 2011
N/A
So neo has only 1 cat converter at the extractor? I wanted to change it out as I find it very restrictive and rev climbs very slow.

Or should I change final drive or gear ratio lcp :(

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Sounds quite tip top to me. It's like that la exhaust note. I'm not sure why but most exhaust also like that. I'm guessing it's partly due to you suddenly release the gas and that causes a sudden change in exhaust gas velocity. Try you release slowly.

reefdee

Known Member
Mar 29, 2010
Putrajaya
So neo has only 1 cat converter at the extractor? I wanted to change it out as I find it very restrictive and rev climbs very slow.

Or should I change final drive or gear ratio lcp :(
remove catcon, change final drive and lcp all helps acceleration.. but their cost differs..
remove catcon ie install 4-2-1 header will cost u around rm400..
lcp around 400-700 depending on brand..
final drive? this is the most expensive but also give biggest performance increase..
this cost around 2k more or less.. depending on which garage u go to..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hehe i seen alot of people with diy stuff,but so far i never seen this thread come out (correct me if i am wrong) ...so anyone here diy it b4...

use ball bering... those round type...with bering inside...then just diy the cover ...suits bling bling rims better.(coz of flat surface....chrome rims espically)..then just find a way to stick it on to the ori rims.....anyone care to try..hehehhe..just my 2 cents
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience