Skyline downsides

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
2 months cannot find? I'll get it in within 2 weeks. :P

udengfahlawi, I don't think there's any loading imposed on mine.
I don't know because I leave it to my workshop to find.... Next time will find u if i need anything ^_^

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Major problem I have with Skyline ownership is security. I always have to plan and survey where can I park the car when I go places. Really afraid of smashed glass (which already happen to a quiet a number of people) or worst still, missing car.

Damn car can't go to almost all of the parking in malls/hotels/buildings. The only ones I can clear are The Curve, KLCC and Pavillion. Sucks!

Well of course it'll really help if I got another rust bucket to drive around. :)
Sooooo True....... Can't Agree more.

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
2 months cannot find? I'll get it in within 2 weeks. :P

udengfahlawi, I don't think there's any loading imposed on mine.
really?....cool....i thought the insurance company labels skyline as sportscar/high performance car which has additional premium charges....if not then it's good lar...:D

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Since almost all of skylines are older than 10 years....the recent insurance changes mean we no longer have to pay for loading of old cars I think

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
not all proton and perodua user likes tailgate skyline, at least me not like it, i drive my wira with e4 engines, evos and subaru still i dare to challenge, but i feel it twice, the moment i saw the R35 at my rear, i already feel lose and give way dy, really adore the monster :adore:
which is still irritating as hell, especially with heavy traffic. where do you expect to "play" even if the evos or subarus layan you? drive on top of divider? :stupid:

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

[PIMPIN];1063545176 said:
Parking? Usually parallel park which is no different from any other car. But while driving and taking turns, after a certain angle of wheels turning its RWD anyway.
damn... i need at least 3.5 lanes to make a u-turn, 4 lanes is the best. anything lesser, 3 or 4 point turn... :bawling:

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
classicjapanesecars.blogspot.com
downside of skyline. too fast, speed camera cant detect.. bad for economy police..hahahha
.anyone think gti can out nimple a skyline is mixing with the wrong group or doesnt know how to drive a skyline.
I second that:driver:

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

i think the skyline badge creates a visual impact to lot of road users...must be those round lights...people are hipnotized by just staring at it...

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Downside for skyline:
1. If drive fast, others ppl will said all skyliners are ego man, always want to show-off on the road.
2. If drive slow, ppl will start to laughing at the our car and said his car is faster than skyline. Have to know that our skyline(GTR) is good in raw power but not nimble/response like golf GTI......
3. "security" as V-spec mention.
4. Always need to survey the route 1st, eg: high speed-bump, deep man-hole will ruin our lips or side skirt....
5. Difficult to find any part at local.

The most i hate is downside number 2 and 4......
ive sat in a gti...nothing to shout about, but i beleive the effect would have been different if the gti
was your first fast road car .

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Downside? Tire wear is crazy, and tires are freaking expensive! 275/35/18 all round... really kautim.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
damn... i need at least 3.5 lanes to make a u-turn, 4 lanes is the best. anything lesser, 3 or 4 point turn... :bawling:
Hahahah 4 lanes? What do you drive? Aircraft carrier or something?

ive sat in a gti...nothing to shout about, but i beleive the effect would have been different if the gti
So true. I don't know why some reckon they could outrun Ferrari's (based on some owners I've met - one wanted to race me while I had my 2.8 even). I test drove the Mk5 in the rain - my car dealer wouldn't even come along. He sat at DeCanter and had a drink while I went off alone. Perhaps of all the other test drives he's had to endure LOL. Don't know why since it was impossible to get into any trouble unless you hit standing water but in stock form its quite docile.

But the Mk6 is definitely an upgrade IMHO. I wouldn't mind owning one for daily commuting or going down to the shops but I certainly wouldn't bother with mods.

Downside? Tire wear is crazy, and tires are freaking expensive! 275/35/18 all round... really kautim.
Hahah of all the expensive mods you've got the one thing you choose to complain about are tires? Speaking of which, time to replace mine too - closing in on 20k kms soon.

changing the battery of the BNR34 is a bitch
Especially if you have to go through the back seat, remove that heavy piece of metal to get to the battery. If only I had a midget friend...

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
downside of skyline. too fast, speed camera cant detect.. bad for economy police..hahahha
.anyone think gti can out nimple a skyline is mixing with the wrong group or doesnt know how to drive a skyline.
Erm..... maybe I'm still driving my GTR not hardcore enough. From the day I bought it until now, i drive it gently, shift gear slowly, seldom full throttle in order to prevent any problem occur since my turbo and engine still stock item. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Erm, GTI is my first fast DSG car whereas GTR is my 1st fast manual car, maybe the shifting time makes me think that GTI is more responsive. Anyway, if cruising on highway, GTI lose gao gao, GTR is always the fastest machine!

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

[PIMPIN];1063547398 said:
Maybe his car using 19 inch 10.5J, cant full lock, hehehe:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

changing the battery of the BNR34 is a bitch
True.....

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
NeniNeniBoBo said:
Erm..... maybe I'm still driving my GTR not hardcore enough. From the day I bought it until now, i drive it gently, shift gear slowly, seldom full throttle in order to prevent any problem occur since my turbo and engine still stock item. :biggrin:
Stock turbo, stock engine with stock boost etc is quite hard to break. Especially if you floor it once in awhile. The car was made to be driven hard - the GTR has been and still is Nissan's flagship performance car. Just make sure you don't neglect the maintenance and you should be fine.

NeniNeniBoBo said:
Erm, GTI is my first fast DSG car whereas GTR is my 1st fast manual car, maybe the shifting time makes me think that GTI is more responsive. Anyway, if cruising on highway, GTI lose gao gao, GTR is always the fastest machine!
If the GTR is your first manual car then you'd definitely notice the speed of the DSG gearbox. But all things being equal, if both were stock the GTR would win hands down regardless of whether from standstill, rolling start and especially top end.

Take the time to get used to the GTR, having one FWD and one predominantly RWD car means having to change the way you drive each time you switch between the two. I guess after sometime you will develop a preference for one over the other.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
haha... no la... driving an evo. i'm counting the lanes including from my side and the opposite side. i have to cut to the left lane before making the u-turn (3.5 lanes) to end up on the left lane (opposite side). anything lesser, i'll have to reverse. steering reaches full lock a little after 1 circle on 17 inch rims.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

no large rims, just comparing awd turning circles between evo and gtr :biggrin:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
haha... no la... driving an evo. i'm counting the lanes including from my side and the opposite side. i have to cut to the left lane before making the u-turn (3.5 lanes) to end up on the left lane (opposite side). anything lesser, i'll have to reverse. steering reaches full lock a little after 1 circle on 17 inch rims.
Ah, which version? Always had a soft spot for the Evo 6. Actually, I've never even given much thought about turning circles. Although, if RWD car like S15 or something would be easier to u-turn especially for former drifters like Temujin :adore:

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
classicjapanesecars.blogspot.com

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

True.....
dude dont be afraid to take it to the limit.skylines are meant to be driven stop worrying and WOT all the way

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Regarding gti owners outrunning R's i guess its a euro vs jap mentality,a lot of them who i met often ask me wy i didnt get a gti.My answer is simple, once u go jap theres no turning back

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Hahah of all the expensive mods you've got the one thing you choose to complain about are tires? Speaking of which, time to replace mine too - closing in on 20k kms soon.
I guess that's because I've stop modding the car for like 5 years. LOL. So the only thing that keeps going now are the tires and regular services.