single turbo vs twin turbo

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

fred_soo_88

2,000 RPM
hi

very curious to know what is the different between single turbo and twin turbo..?? why most of the GTR with 500 bhp and above all covert single turbo..?? any idea ??
any sifu or turbo expert can help me...

on the difference between twin turbo and single turbo, i believe u can just google and get the results...

Why convert to single turbo u might ask, because when its single turbo its easier to get a higher boost and therefore get higher air flow rate which than relates to house power..

Cannot simply say 2 or 1 tebo one. Oso have to cosider abt size of tebo.

No point putting tebo from a scannia truck on a kancil Mira engine. Then sure got serious tebo lag....

as far as i know, larger turbo are more efficient in term of heat/power loss. small turbo heat up the intake air more than bigger one do, and that is why 1bar boost on small turbo produce different output than 1 bar boost on bigger turbo.

well..again...this is a very subjective manner...

depends on a lot of thing.......

air intake, boost.....n etc....

all inter related..we cant even miss a single thing to come for a conclusion

Usually people use 1 turbo over 2 is because 1 turbo is more reliable than 2 turbos.Also, if you choose twin turbo setup, your twins must be relatively small if not it will cause alot of lag. Skyline is 2.6 liters, so its somethign like 1.3 Liter per turbo..that means you need 2 medium size turbos to produce high HP. The 2 medium size turbo cannot produce high boost thus lower HP than 1 big turbo with big boost.

Hahaha. I think you guys confuse the fella already. Lets just take it stock engine at a time shall we?

With twin turbos, manufacturers are looking for power and response. Response means lesser turbo lag. Usually the turbos are small so they can spin faster and push air faster. But the drawback is, you can only push small amounts of air at the highest turbo spin.

Now car that use single big turbo are hoping to push more air. But the drawback is lag. Where the time for the turbo to reach the highest spinning rate to its maximum air being push is slow.

Here you could say the twin turbo engine can push air at a shorter time but lesser quantity. But the single big turbo can push air at a longer time but more quantity.

If you say this to turbo car owners, they would tell you fuel injectors, intercooler size, throttle body, turbo size, blow off valve, blah blah. Then its more confusing. hehehe. :confused_smile:

actually it's d overall setup dat counts..... regardless of twin or single...

Hi blackie, long time no see. Setup yes. But he ask general difference on single and twin turbo. Anyway, forgot to add, cams, ECU, blah blah. hahaha. Dude, after married slow down already huh?

sorry for the late reply... quite busy lately.... haha i think i get it alreayd more or less... thats why all the skylines in lines dyno tune they all using big single turbo... haha for more hosepower. but for just changing the turbo itself wont make any different right... inside the engine part oso have to change and other stuff to make it stable right...?? .. skylines looks cool with big single turbo and single air filter.. rather than two... look very fierce with one big turbo haha example.. mel tune skyline that recently feature in hypertune....

anyway, really thankk for all ur knowledge and fact...

They add big turbo not necesarily can make big power on the spot. Because they need to make sure the optimum fuel & air mixture. So they upgrade to more powerful fuel pump and bigger injectors. Then use newer ECU to solve some fuelling problems. Then use different duration cams to adjust and make more power. Then got the tuning times.

Of course the we would stray away of your question. An easy home experiment is 2 small hose and 1 big hose. Your mouth is turbo. Then blow through small hose, you get instant high pressure air, but you can't blow more because the hole is narrow. Now blow through the big hose, very easy. But you cannot get high pressure air because you need have to blow harder. This is turbo lag.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom