single pot,twinpot and 4 pot caliper???

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

stuart_little

can any body tell me what the different between single pot,twinpot and 4 pot caliper????

single pot means the brake piston inside the brake caliper only has 1. Twin pot has 2 piston while 4 pot has four piston. now even have 6 pot until 12 pot also have. but these giant calipers are meant for cars with huge amount of horsies inside.

More pot mean better stopping power. but be reminded that your wheels will easily lock up under hard braking.

TitanRev said:
More pot mean better stopping power. but be reminded that your wheels will easily lock up under hard braking.

Not necessarily. It depends on a lot of other factors, like piston sizes, caliper and rotor design, etc... Doesn't mean you have more 'pot' you can stop faster, it's about matching the right system to the right application.

Yes.

Imagine 6 pots alcons on a stock Kancil.

During emergency braking, the kancil will probably nose dive into barrel roll.

4 pot callipers? go home suck donkey balls.

THis is DA MAN. 15.2" brake disc, 12piston calliper
http://www.lltek.com/PRS_bin/PRS_84_12_piston_brakes.htm

And I'm not gonna ask struat_little to use google, because somebody might flame me.

Typically, the more pistons/pots you have, you will end up with a fairly big brake disc, and that help with the leverage in the first place, that is your source of better stopping power. And of course, better cooling.

More pistons also helps with a more even pad contact and improved better brake feel/modulation. (not sure how true this is)

The jump from 1pot to 2pot enables a system to use floating rotors, and the upgrade to 4pots helped even out the pad wear alot. Then, some companies started with 6piston callipers to fit bigger pads with a bigger contact patch, and then it gained fame. Hence the legend of "the more pots the merrier". IMHO, kits like the above shown are crap, and used only for rice shows, or the bling factor. Your tyres can only do so much braking, and there are no two ways about it.

Somehow, alot of people spend money to upgrade to 4million pot brakes, but still use sime astar tyres....they must be damm confident of their stopping power then.

always upgrade ur braking system depends on ur engine power .
normal wira with evolution braking system tht comes without ABS as aid ? u gotta be kidding me . it locks up like mad cow ...

single pot :
pot.jpg

Twin Pots:
breasts.jpg

4 Pots:
istockphoto_Cow_Tits_434872.jpg

dont think 12 pot can match the mercedes SLR carbon 8 pot disc brake...

give me 8 pot carbon-carbon disc brake enuff liao...and of course F1 michelin compound tyres
i dun wan 12 pot..

ur supla 1 pot only?
KENG ler..stop faster then F1...FLY faster than jet plane

may the force be with u

Black howling, one addition.

Twin double pot(aka 4 pots), double the fun
nowe-audi-a4-turbo.jpg

My friend's Waja is using twin pot without ABS. the front tyres lock up quite easily under hard braking.

Mine just changed to cross drilled disc and better pads and walla...better performance over the original without any problem of wheel lock up under hard braking. The disc last longer than the ori wan too.

big calipers on non ABS street cars is not a very good idea.

agreed with titanrev,

on my previous alfa, i upgraded the rotor and pads. brake was superb without looking up. my fren who changed caliper and pads, suprisingly is not good as mine.

for non abs its more then enough. my wira using vr-4 twin pot with
2 lyer brake pump already feel damm good but under hard braking the f**king simex tyres give way. haihz.. no money yet to upgrade to 55 series tyres hehe...

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom