SATRIA 1.6 - Seeking advices for TUNING & UPGRADES

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
the engine is adequate for newbies...since u hade a budget constraints i strongly suggest to save up for engine modification later...cheap but reasonable upgrade if anything is stock probably start with the extractor 1st...good extractor can unlease few ponnies...match with better air filter and a good plug u can feel more throttle responsif...with this simple mod stock brake system is enough for uphill genting...

and then goes to the rim...most satrias uphill genting regular uses 15" with 195/50/15 or 195/55/15 rubber...a cheap good tyre ranging between 150-220...try to get the bestes tyre u can get within ur budget limit...cheap 15" rim starts from rm650 for ciplak...

but touge...even with stock car...adjustable is a must...last time when im with lowered spring and standard shock i feel i already fast enogh...but when i got a chance to ride my frens car with adjustable shox my perception totally changed...for me...harder shox and lower the car gives better handling to tackle the genting corner...

so...when do u want to mod ur car ur when can we drive to genting together?
Good plugs as in iridium plugs? I feel like trying basic mods like extractor (4-1) and good plugs on my 4G15.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
To me for plugs makes no difference, maybe smoother engine but power same....:driver:
Then I suppose I shall not bother with plugs until it is time to change them. Normally how many km do they last? For ordinary ones.

How about plug cables? Do they make any difference?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
plug cables oso dont bother unless ur having issues with them.

get ur brakes done first.. then handling parts.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Brakes? You mean discs on all 4 wheels? Mine is just stock 4G15 for now... Handling parts I am eyeing on adjustables but that will take some time until I manage to save up the amount for it.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Then I suppose I shall not bother with plugs until it is time to change them. Normally how many km do they last? For ordinary ones.

How about plug cables? Do they make any difference?
Normal plugs I think can last 30 to 40k km, For me different material plugs, difference is durability not performance. Platinum can last say 50 to 60k and Iridium upto 80k and Iridium tough to 100k.
Then again if your engine got issue it can fry the plugs too.
I tried 2 sets of Iridium, First set around RM180, second set, friend got for me at RM140. The thing is Platinum only cost me RM48 and with no benefit in performance only durability, I rather use platinum and also my first set iridium, engine somehow fried the set.....:bawling:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Normal plugs I think can last 30 to 40k km, For me different material plugs, difference is durability not performance. Platinum can last say 50 to 60k and Iridium upto 80k and Iridium tough to 100k.
I tried 2 sets of Iridium, First set around RM180, second set, friend got for me at RM140. The thing is Platinum only cost me RM48 and with no benefit in performance only durability, I rather use platinum and also my first set iridium, engine somehow fried the set.....:bawling:
Hahahaha, I finally understand now. Previously I was under the misconception that plugs should be changed during every service since I thought normal ones are not that expensive. According to you, it looks like platinum is more worth it as the price per km ratio seems to be higher than Iridium. Besides, anything can happen to an engine in the interval of 100k km, chances are something might come up in the engine and fried up the Iridium before its lifespan ends.

#OGPIM

Known Member
Jul 9, 2016
KUALA LUMPUR

I agree with you.
I learn something today at a really tight corner at Duke.
The feeling is bloody rotten when you feel you are not in control of your own ride.
Great power is nothing without excellent handling.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hahahaha, I finally understand now. Previously I was under the misconception that plugs should be changed during every service since I thought normal ones are not that expensive. According to you, it looks like platinum is more worth it as the price per km ratio seems to be higher than Iridium. Besides, anything can happen to an engine in the interval of 100k km, chances are something might come up in the engine and fried up the Iridium before its lifespan ends.
Normal plugs are mostly made of copper and have a bigger flat center core. As it sparks it wears and once you can see the edges gets rounded it is also time to change.
Platinum are harder material and can withstand higher temperatures and the tip is much smaller. Iridium are even harder and tip even smaller. They are capable of withstanding high temperature, less wear, tips also smaller so they don't tent to get rounded edge like normal plugs, so they last much longer but at a higher price too......lol:biggrin:

Yup, that is why I use platinum....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Normal plugs are mostly made of copper and have a bigger flat center core. As it sparks it wears and once you can see the edges gets rounded it is also time to change.
Platinum are harder material and can withstand higher temperatures and the tip is much smaller. Iridium are even harder and tip even smaller. They are capable of withstanding high temperature, less wear, tips also smaller so they don't tent to get rounded edge like normal plugs, so they last much longer but at a higher price too......lol:biggrin:

Yup, that is why I use platinum....:driver:
Now I know that plugs don't actually make much difference in performance... I shall just try going for 4-1 extractor next time.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Brakes? You mean discs on all 4 wheels? Mine is just stock 4G15 for now... Handling parts I am eyeing on adjustables but that will take some time until I manage to save up the amount for it.
discs on all 4 wheels would be ideal... but u can always start with a simple brake pad upgrade first.

over a decade ago there was a blog on a USDM Integra GSR. one of the posts was on spark plugs.

said that from factory comes with some platinum or dunno wat plugs la....he swapped to normal cheapo plugs and actually gained 10whp on the dyno HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

for me... i use cheapo plugs. but dyno says it feels better. but main thing is to change it every 10k km max. compared it to bosch super4, ngk iridium, ngk xv race plugs...and those cheapo NGKs are stil my fav ahahah

as for all those xxxum plugs... ive tried some iridium ones before on a stock kelisa engine... thing is with these plugs is the key words "up to". so dont be surprised if they die earlier than the advertised 100k. mine only lasted about 60k if i remember correctly. was kinda pissed at the time hhahah

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
discs on all 4 wheels would be ideal... but u can always start with a simple brake pad upgrade first.

over a decade ago there was a blog on a USDM Integra GSR. one of the posts was on spark plugs.

said that from factory comes with some platinum or dunno wat plugs la....he swapped to normal cheapo plugs and actually gained 10whp on the dyno HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

for me... i use cheapo plugs. but dyno says it feels better. but main thing is to change it every 10k km max. compared it to bosch super4, ngk iridium, ngk xv race plugs...and those cheapo NGKs are stil my fav ahahah

as for all those xxxum plugs... ive tried some iridium ones before on a stock kelisa engine... thing is with these plugs is the key words "up to". so dont be surprised if they die earlier than the advertised 100k. mine only lasted about 60k if i remember correctly. was kinda pissed at the time hhahah
Cheapo plugs? Do you mean plugs like these? I'm using these.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

i'll use whatever good reputable (normal) plug and check gap for about every 3-5 times of oil change....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any body know what is the problem for mivec 1.6 very high fuel consumption?my mivec 1 tank petrol only can go around 330km..
any 1 know what is the problem?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience