Sandakan Drag Race

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
nova said:
I suggest to use old used rubber tyre walls instead of concrete which are hard on impact. I guess the organiser would have drawn their experience from go-kart track. Incidentally, noone should be near to the track, not even the marshalls.:_:

I totally agree that none should be near to the track. However, Im not sure on the old tyre idea. There must be a good reason why proper dragstrips use concrete.

IMO, tyres being flexible, or more properly term, elastic may cause more damage during impact(e.g bounce of the car elsewhere) when compared to concrete as tyres won't allow the vehicle's body structure to crumple and absorb the impact as it's supposed to.
On a positive note, its very cheap though.:D

What do you think? :D

phoenixpower said:
I totally agree that none should be near to the track. However, Im not sure on the old tyre idea. There must be a good reason why proper dragstrips use concrete.

IMO, tyres being flexible, or more properly term, elastic may cause more damage during impact(e.g bounce of the car elsewhere) when compared to concrete as tyres won't allow the vehicle's body structure to crumple and absorb the impact as it's supposed to.
On a positive note, its very cheap though.:D

What do you think? :D

You got a point on the crumble and impact absorbing side of the argument. But when the cars are modified to the extent that you probably don't have it on the car structure anymore or due to the popular use of decades old car chassis like we see here in Sabah, the theory goes out of the window. The old tyres can be used to absord the impact instead of the frail and "heavily" lighten drag cars as they may become in a matter of time.:_:

haha...use used trye...maybe can solve the problem...but later on Jabatan Kesihatan will give some problem to us...like mosquito
cheers....

sandakan drag race? anyone can give any info pls...

Daihatsu Mira said:
haha...use used trye...maybe can solve the problem...but later on Jabatan Kesihatan will give some problem to us...like mosquito
cheers....

sandakan drag race? anyone can give any info pls...

mosquitos...that's a good one.

Nova,

I'd really love to know why proper dragstrips use concrete barriers instead of tyres. Im sure they went through time and trouble to make a dragstrip safe.

Any ideas?

Lets discuss about safety in a dragstrip in general...what we're lacking?

I know crowd control is a huge problem in Tawau before.

yup...crowds are the biggest problem we were facing before...
and compare to last two times event ...dont know why this time those stuborn spectators more easy to control...
maybe less monkeys attend ...haha...
but maybe next time we organise...we will limit those spectators untill 200meter to make sure they will safe from the drag strip....

but refer to sepang there was two concrete walls seperate spectators away from the drag strip...
we also wanna do that but we are thinking about the place not our propeties...so anyone will dump so much money to built this ...?
myabe in sandakan can lah coz that land is belong to STC...
and the Tawau Old Airport will be take over anytime....
haha...that's what our problem...
maybe we will find other source to solve this problem....
and what yours opinion phoenixpower...

Daihatsu Mira said:
yup...crowds are the biggest problem we were facing before...
and compare to last two times event ...dont know why this time those stuborn spectators more easy to control...
maybe less monkeys attend ...haha...
but maybe next time we organise...we will limit those spectators untill 200meter to make sure they will safe from the drag strip....

but refer to sepang there was two concrete walls seperate spectators away from the drag strip...
we also wanna do that but we are thinking about the place not our propeties...so anyone will dump so much money to built this ...?
myabe in sandakan can lah coz that land is belong to STC...
and the Tawau Old Airport will be take over anytime....
haha...that's what our problem...
maybe we will find other source to solve this problem....
and what yours opinion phoenixpower...

Mira,

Im off to Tawau today(1st September) for a few hours(return flight to KK is at 9.15pm).

If you're free to meet up at Tawau say at 6 or 7pm, PM me ur number. I will call and meet you if time/situation permits.

I'll be in Lahad Datu in the morning/noon and reach to Tawau somewhere at Apas mile 4 area somewhere late evening.

phoenixpower said:
mosquitos...that's a good one.

Nova,

I'd really love to know why proper dragstrips use concrete barriers instead of tyres. Im sure they went through time and trouble to make a dragstrip safe.

Any ideas?

Lets discuss about safety in a dragstrip in general...what we're lacking?

I know crowd control is a huge problem in Tawau before.

I guess the reason that proper drag strips can use concrete barriers is that they have stringent enforcement of the rules and experienced people to go thru' inspections. For that, I can see that good roll cage becomes a must in protecting the life of the driver in high impact incidents. Drawing from seeing rally cars on the videos(the same on F1 cars), their roll cage is impressive enough in a high speed collision and tumble and both driver and navigator came out unscathed while the car was totalled. I guess in the context of the above, the use of concrete barriers becomes an advantage over the use of tyre barriers. From the aspect of protection of spectators and probably the driver, concrete barriers are probably more able to contain the run away car. From construction aspect, the need for bigger space to accomodate the tyre wall would be much reduced by the use of concrete barriers for the equivalent design impact force. Just my 2ct.:regular_smile:

phoenixpower said:
Mira,

Im off to Tawau today(1st September) for a few hours(return flight to KK is at 9.15pm).

If you're free to meet up at Tawau say at 6 or 7pm, PM me ur number. I will call and meet you if time/situation permits.

I'll be in Lahad Datu in the morning/noon and reach to Tawau somewhere at Apas mile 4 area somewhere late evening.

sorry bro...just read your post...
maybe next time i go to kk i will cal u up then we go minum....

Daihatsu Mira said:
sorry bro...just read your post...
maybe next time i go to kk i will cal u up then we go minum....

No worries. Do give me a call when you're in KK.

Sorry guys...nothing to announce here. Just wondering if this STC drag race course is still alive or has become a 'sick project' ? Anyone?:regular_smile:

Anyone got any news about this place? Is the track properly finished already and open for business?

Friend was telling me the other day this track owner is asking people to join their club as members. Sounding like the track is already opened for business?? Is it number of member still too low and cannot organize an event?

I went there last week. The track is a lot wider. It should be fun to race on the new track...can wait to bring my Pulsar. I heard from my mate that you have to be a member to use the track. I think it's fair.....as long as it's not too expensive.

I really hope the owner/the club will organise a drag race this year....fingers cross!!!

I went there last week. The track is a lot wider. It should be fun to race on the new track...can wait to bring my Pulsar. I heard from my mate that you have to be a member to use the track. I think it's fair.....as long as it's not too expensive.

I really hope the owner/the club will organise a drag race this year....fingers cross!!!

I thought I have sent in my reply to your meesage above but somehow it was lost. doh:X-:

I was wondering if you have any photo of the widen track.

In addition, I was wondering if they have also already installed the signalling, elapse time recording equipments, result displays, etc. These were the things left undone since more than one year ago when "borneogtir" came into this forum to tell us the track was completed with the bitumen only. Since then, people been saying the track was riddled with water spots coming out from underneathe. sigh.:Not_Impressed:

Since they now seem to be "recruiting" members at a low profile, I guess not everything is quite ready yet. Perhaps to do with Authorities' approvals?:retarded:

If I were the one to dump in so much money to build the road and still could not open the track for some serious business, I would have gone bankrupt long since.:confused_smile: It certainly does not make any real business sense to STC when it is a serious gaming company out to make money as their objective. Just my 2ct.:regular_smile:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom