RX8 or RX7??

hotzwheels

Jul 24, 2006
Can anyone tell me which car is better??

Noticed that a lot of discussions on RX7, what about rx8??

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
turbo is the way to go....but I guess a Rotary NA can't be all that bad.... The LeMans Rotary was NA but quad rotor...

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
the debate was on RX8 club for ages... it's everywhere.....not just here. go search from the internet. :)

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
You're comparing a new and a old car, kinda the weird.....

IMO RX7:
- Insanely fast and easy to mod than RX8.
- still stylish after all these years.
- Good for couple.

IMO RX8:
- Better fuel economy
- Not as fast as RX7 but the speed is there
- Inherited some styling clue from RX7, that will make car looks good for next 15 years :_:
- good handling with 4 person seater.

donKey

Oct 11, 2005
Like what lennon said and the price tag: one is under 100K and one is ~200K.

If moolah is not an issue, turbocharged the RX8..... or get the GReddy version from Mutiara Motors in JB... fooo yoooh.

Either that get the RX7 and throw in the Veilside Fortune Model... double fooo yoooh...

Well that is my opinion anyway...

hotzwheels

Jul 24, 2006
Hey guys,

Just saw the perfect machine today that has all the full specs...

thought I needed some reassurance.. hee hee....

I just fell in looove.... with this RX8 and paid for it today.. at least its not modified or anything, which allows me to throw in the extras!!!!

Now its just waiting for the process!!

Why does it always take soooo long.. when you just cant wait to get in on the road......

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
hi there.... sorry to bumped an old thread

i'm not an RE owner...but i do find the RX8 quite appealing....

may i know what's the most affordable unreg price tag of the RX8 available on market now?...i've checked out listings and saw prices ranging from 14Xk to 200k...that's sure a large price gap there...but y? can anyone enlighten me on the differences?

besides, maintenance....how does the maintenance of an RE differ from the normal 4 or 6 cylinder engine rides? will parts be a problem? will mod potential be a problem?

lastly...hows the fuel consumption like?..auto? manual?

thanks in advance to all RE gurus here...

hamsap

1,500 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
PJ/ KL
tuned said:

may i know what's the most affordable unreg price tag of the RX8 available on market now?...i've checked out listings and saw prices ranging from 14Xk to 200k...that's sure a large price gap there...but y? can anyone enlighten me on the differences?

besides, maintenance....how does the maintenance of an RE differ from the normal 4 or 6 cylinder engine rides? will parts be a problem? will mod potential be a problem?

It could probably be due to its spec. (ie. Type-S, Type-E) etc. Differences lies on the transmission type, engine differences (4 inlet ports & 6 inlet ports, etc), different wheel size and design (16 inch & 18 inch), disc rotor size, etc and also of course it's year of manuf. and versions. (Evolve - if it's ever available outside of UK, Sport Prestige Limited II, REAL Mazdaspeed, Shinka special edition, etc)

I've also come to known that the Type-S 6-speed manual comes with a rather light propeller shaft. So light that it actually 'feels' and looks like its made out of carbon fibre though I can't really confirm it's actual material used.

On a Type-S stick-shift, fuel comsumption is ok with a full-tank (around RM100+ worth of petrol) giving out 400km+, going easy with the throttle on a good day.

A nice and well balanced car I would say. Very nippy and neutral car to drive and tuck around corners. If you're looking for sheer, brutal out-right speed, the RX-8 may not be your type if you want to remain it in NA form.

Oh and there's one thing I'm real curious about. Does rotary engines run way much hotter than let's say, a turbo-charged 4 banger? i've seen oil-temp and water-temp readings as high as 90-100 degree's C after some short spirited drive. The car has stock radiator with an additional mazdaspeed oil cooler..

Last edited:

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
with twin oil coolers should not run that hot.. it's either their oil is bad quality or the oil cooler does not have appropriate duct....

heat is always a problem for rotary. that's why they all 1st thing need to install a water temp. oil temp is also important but not as badly needed as water temp.

4 bangers vs 2 rotors.. of course 2 rotor is hotter... always rotary is hot... unless you're saying like 500 to 600 horses of 4 bangers or 6 bangers they might be close to 2 rotors.

bear in mind... rotor = heat

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
thanks for such quick response....hmm looks like there's a lot diff. specs...

hmmm..thanks a lot fellow sifus.... ;)

hamsap

1,500 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
PJ/ KL
Alchemis,

Thanks for the speedy reply. It's running on Motul Chrono 300V, with both the oil coolers sitting behind original air ductings..

Oh well :)

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
hamsap said:
I've also come to known that the Type-S 6-speed manual comes with a rather light propeller shaft. So light that it actually 'feels' and looks like its made out of carbon fibre though I can't really confirm it's actual material used.

On a Type-S stick-shift, fuel comsumption is ok with a full-tank (around RM100+ worth of petrol) giving out 400km+, going easy with the throttle on a good day.

A nice and well balanced car I would say. Very nippy and neutral car to drive and tuck around corners. If you're looking for sheer, brutal out-right speed, the RX-8 may not be your type if you want to remain it in NA form.

Oh and there's one thing I'm real curious about. Does rotary engines run way much hotter than let's say, a turbo-charged 4 banger? i've seen oil-temp and water-temp readings as high as 90-100 degree's C after some short spirited drive. The car has stock radiator with an additional mazdaspeed oil cooler..
The driveshaft is made of carbon, very light indeed..... 350Z is having carbon driveshaft too...

Renesis engine is hotter than RX7 even with two oil cooler, becos of higher compression and the engine exhaust port position........ Plus the jammed-pack engine bay which trap lots of heat....... better ventilation will helps a loot...

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
tuned said:

Maintenance won't be much different from piston...... spark plugs are expensive, around RM450, RM650 for NGK racing type....... As for engine oil, better use Rotary oil and mineral oil only....... The reason is becos most engine oil will left deposit of carbon in engine...... As a result, carbon can wear out apex seals faster, jam the engine and apex seal springs...... you dont want this to happen....

Parts are available rather easily these days.......

hamsap

1,500 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
PJ/ KL
Lennon said:
Maintenance won't be much different from piston...... spark plugs are expensive, around RM450, RM650 for NGK racing type....... As for engine oil, better use Rotary oil and mineral oil only....... The reason is becos most engine oil will left deposit of carbon in engine...... As a result, carbon can wear out apex seals faster, jam the engine and apex seal springs...... you dont want this to happen....

Parts are available rather easily these days.......
Lennon,

The 'mineral oil' issue has been real cloudy for me for quite awhile and since you brought it up, I would like to take this opportunity to get a clearer view on why and how would a fully-synthetic oil from say, Motul would leave deposits of carbon in the engine itself.

I'm not an oil guy nor do I have a vast background in 'fluid-engineering' some say.. so pardon my ignorance if I do make/ raised any unsensible remarks or questions.

Let's use Motul fully-synthetic engine oils as a example. Being the fact that it has double-esther as one of the ingredients in the engine oil itself, I'm under the impression that esther-based engine oils are a very good cleaning detergent. So how would that cause carbon build-ups by the oil itself?

On a totally different note, where can I find RE engine oils and which grade would you see deem suitable to be used in a country like ours that has 365days of summer?

If there's been a discussion on the engine oil issue earlier, I apollogize for bringing this topic up again.

Thanks Lennon

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I just bought a 1992 Mira (Thai-built) 3 cylinder carb with a blown motor. I will be buying a second-hand EFI motor from Japan for it. The shop that will be installing my next motor has warned me to stay away from Turbo motors. Apparently the parts can be expensive and hard to find here in Thailand but I will ask the motor shop if they stock all the parts for these motors as the shop is massive!

I was previously thinking about the JB-DET as it seems to have the most power at lowest RPM, or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience