Rusting found in brand new Vios?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I found rusting at the exhaust silencer box in a brand new Toyota Vios that had just been purchased for less than a week. I was wondering is this actually normal or should I lodge a complaint to the service center?

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
normal

BeCool

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
normal, few of my ex brand new car encountered the same problem as well.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I guess it can't be helped then. Talking about quality, this is rather bad. Even a Wira that is more than 10 years old did not have such rust at the exhaust silencer area.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
While it is normal, it is good that you rectify it. The rusty parts r the support for the exhaust. If it continue to corrode the metal, very soon it will break and you will have to spend $$. Get a high temp spray paint on it. If you are living near the sea, corrosion will happen even faster

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
While it is normal, it is good that you rectify it. The rusty parts r the support for the exhaust. If it continue to corrode the metal, very soon it will break and you will have to spend $$. Get a high temp spray paint on it. If you are living near the sea, corrosion will happen even faster
that is right. A can of HT spray cost about 12 buck. Bring the car to SS to complain....use petrol, waste more time. Worst still, the service center says to you "Soli, this is not covered under warranty".

Save the trouble, and spray the paint over the rust, if I were you. The problem isnt worth going through all the hassle.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
imho having too many welding point on the muffler is not good as it will reduce the lifespan of the part.
the weld and solid steel has no problem handling the rust.the area surrounding the weld can be rotten by rust.
its a bad situation as we are living in a country with frequent rain.if this is in the middle east then its fine.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

one more thing is the new white anti rust/underbody paint.
i am baffle that even with such cost reducing measure they still sell it at high price.not that it uses new engine or gb or have high tech.
the thick tar paint/underseal was widely used on most car's undercarriage last time.now...its lesser..a lot lesser than before.
which explain why nvh dont improve at all.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nowadays most new car no more under seal.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

I found rusting at the exhaust silencer box in a brand new Toyota Vios that had just been purchased for less than a week. I was wondering is this actually normal or should I lodge a complaint to the service center?

My Chery also have some rust at the exhaust muffler, but I thought because mine was one year ago manufactured but not sold model....:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Thanks. Will take note of this.

imho having too many welding point on the muffler is not good as it will reduce the lifespan of the part.
the weld and solid steel has no problem handling the rust.the area surrounding the weld can be rotten by rust.
its a bad situation as we are living in a country with frequent rain.if this is in the middle east then its fine.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

one more thing is the new white anti rust/underbody paint.
i am baffle that even with such cost reducing measure they still sell it at high price.not that it uses new engine or gb or have high tech.
the thick tar paint/underseal was widely used on most car's undercarriage last time.now...its lesser..a lot lesser than before.
which explain why nvh dont improve at all.
True regarding the high price. I've just taken a ride on it today. Seriously, I feel that it still needed a lot of improvements. Aesthetically it looks good but in other areas, I feel that it still needed much improvements to justify its price tag.

Nowadays most new car no more under seal.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

My Chery also have some rust at the exhaust muffler, but I thought because mine was one year ago manufactured but not sold model....:smokin:
Then how do you solve the rusting problem?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks. Will take note of this.

True regarding the high price. I've just taken a ride on it today. Seriously, I feel that it still needed a lot of improvements. Aesthetically it looks good but in other areas, I feel that it still needed much improvements to justify its price tag.

Then how do you solve the rusting problem?
Spray aerosol paint on it then

That's why a lot choose the TRD version, behind the wheel already feel like driving a race car. That's what matters most nowadays. Looks fast will do, therefore u will feel fast. :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Spray aerosol paint on it then

That's why a lot choose the TRD version, behind the wheel already feel like driving a race car. That's what matters most nowadays. Looks fast will do, therefore u will feel fast. :biggrin:
I feel that higher spec versions are rather overpriced. For example the price difference between J (auto) VS E grade is RM5000. The difference? Different audio head unit, folding door mirrors with turn indicator, front fog lamps (can be added to J for RM300), folding rear seats, silver stripe on dashboard and two tone coloured seats. Seriously 5k for only these few bits? :confused:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm a little different. I'd find out whether this is covered by warranty, if yes then I'd encourage the rusting until breaks right off and then claim a new one. Then with the new one I'd get my own antirust and protect the parts.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I feel that higher spec versions are rather overpriced. For example the price difference between J (auto) VS E grade is RM5000. The difference? Different audio head unit, folding door mirrors with turn indicator, front fog lamps (can be added to J for RM300), folding rear seats, silver stripe on dashboard and two tone coloured seats. Seriously 5k for only these few bits? :confused:
J & E difference RM5K for those add ons, I think still fine, The add-ons and price diff for TRD and E is the one that is overpriced. Anyway, to know is overpriced or not, need to find out how much in total to install those add ons outside and yet + labour for every part u add on.