Roll Cage in a Road Car - Legal/Illegal

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
rollcage in racecar: in accident, save car n save driver.
rollcage in road car: in accident, save car n kill driver
i like how you put it.
funny how that works huh?

chaser288

Apr 13, 2009
Guys, Just my views on this topic.

There are different types of roll-cages. There are roll cages for race car and there are roll-cages for road cars.

When i had my wira saloon, i had it installed with a street roll cage. This type of cage only has bars covering the A,B & C pillars only.

In the JPJ, it is not stated if roll-cage is legal or illegal or not. The only rule they said if that passengers must be able to get in and out of the car thru the doors without any obstruction.

Yes, i got stopped usually at road blocks, but after i told them about the ruling, they let me go.

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn

There are different types of roll-cages. There are roll cages for race car and there are roll-cages for road cars.

When i had my wira saloon, i had it installed with a street roll cage. This type of cage only has bars covering the A,B & C pillars only.

In the JPJ, it is not stated if roll-cage is legal or illegal or not. The only rule they said if that passengers must be able to get in and out of the car thru the doors without any obstruction.

Yes, i got stopped usually at road blocks, but after i told them about the ruling, they let me go.
Wat kind of road block?? Polis or JPJ? U tell JPJ officer about the ruling?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005

thank you for the info sir, but i wud stay away from things dat give me unnecessary attention.. i have secrets, lol

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
When I was in Australia, full roll cages are illegal but half cages weren't BUT if you had a 180sx or S15 for example then you're car is designated 2 seater similarly if you want to have a cage in a 4 door then you cannot carry rear passengers anymore. This IIRC because it's been awhile - old lah now.

But harnesses were legal to have in the car but illegal for road use because if you crashed say outside of the city area and needed to be saved as car burns etc, the average person may not know how to free you. Although its straight forward, their laws don't allow for taking chances.

NOS was also illegal for use on the street but you can have the system hooked up while running on the road but the tank must either be removed or empty (usually remove is best).

At the end of the day, the laws are made to protect the majority of road users driving normal cars in normal conditions at normal speeds etc.

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Thank you for such detailed replies. I guess the argument that what is safe on track vs road is logical. Fireman extracting an accident victim may have problem handling a safety harness also have problems cutting up the car using "Jaws of Life".
But still in this case the R3 Club Sport with a full roll cage is deemed illegal.
My grouse as with a lot of forum members is the inconsistent JPJ policies!

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
[PIMPIN];4532941 said:
When I was in Australia, full roll cages are illegal but half cages weren't BUT if you had a 180sx or S15 for example then you're car is designated 2 seater similarly if you want to have a cage in a 4 door then you cannot carry rear passengers anymore. This IIRC because it's been awhile - old lah now.

But harnesses were legal to have in the car but illegal for road use because if you crashed say outside of the city area and needed to be saved as car burns etc, the average person may not know how to free you. Although its straight forward, their laws don't allow for taking chances.

NOS was also illegal for use on the street but you can have the system hooked up while running on the road but the tank must either be removed or empty (usually remove is best).

At the end of the day, the laws are made to protect the majority of road users driving normal cars in normal conditions at normal speeds etc.
yes very true in indeed the rules and regulations are designed in consideration of the average man
automotive enthusiast do not get much leniency :banghead: