RM 180 for a custom Y-Pipe... :shocked:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
RM 180 for a custom Y-Pipe...

It's true! Excluding the flex-pipe, as I used my old one... :biggrin:

I got tired of waiting for news of our Y-Pipe, so, at the recommendation of a friend, I went down to JFA Motorsport down at Sunway. Jafa is well known for his work with performance vehicles and is a favourite among the Evo and WRX communities. I have always been a little hesitant about going there as I was certain that a guy who does these kind of vehicles has to be expensive... :sad_smile:

Anyway, I got there at around lunch time on Monday. Jafa is quite a humble and friendly fellow who understands his customers' concerns. After waiting for a bit, as it was a busy day and all his jacks were full, he jacked up the car, took a look at my Y-Pipe and shook his head... :laugh:

After taking the thing off, he told his guy to cut out all the flanges and the flex pipe, and redo all the piping. I am impressed with his people's care for detail. His welder took pains to allign both pipes precisely before putting on the Y-joint. After putting everything together with spot welds, they obviously took it down again to weld everything together.

The final result is truly a very nice piece or work. All piping neatly welded, both downpipe sections bent and alligned perfectly parallel before combining in a y-joint and a flex pipe to the first flange. All done with various sections of 90 degree mandrel bends. The only manually bent section is a little inward bend of the forward pipe to allign it towards the first flange.

I can truthfully say that there is very little restriction in the overall construction, and the performance bears me out. The engine idles 150 rpm higher, and there are no flat spots in the power curve. Unfortunately, I was so eager to try it out, I didn't have time to have them take it down again to photograph. Needless to say, I was happy with the performance...smooth, no vibrations, and no flat spot.... :smile:

What I liked about JFA...

a) No customer is too unimportant. He gives you the same attention as he gives people coming in driving a beamer. Well, maybe a little less...it takes time to count all those thousands of RM50 bills... :laugh:

b) No forward appointments or any other rubbish you hear from other exhaust shops like "no time", "very difficult" etc. A lot of these people are reluctant to do the work. They prefer the "easy-money" part of the business that involves convincing customers to put on as expensive a muffler as possible and selling centre mufflers and bullets of indeterminate performance. Jafa made his reputation doing exactly this...designing exhaust systems for people. You drive in, you discuss what you want done, you listen to his recommendation, and his people do it for you. He checks at every stage, and corrects any discrepancies in his people's work. He will test the final result before proclaiming the job done.

c) He and his people are nice and friendly. Easy going and willing to talk to you. He has an air conditioned showroom that you can wait in. In fact, if you guys want to do a Y-pipe day, this would be a nice place to have a T/T session. We just send a couple of guys to the hawker centre nearby to get us some T/T... :smile:

d) His price. He charges a decent price for good work done and piping. My friend driving a Caldina did his downpipe there, and he paid RM 180 as well. The last time I asked for my Celica (exactly the same downpipe), somebody wanted to charge me RM 600 for an hour's work...grrrrr....:mad:

When he told me how much it cost for my Y-pipe, I nearly fell down... :dong: I was expecting RM 300-400 or something and was prepared for it. Thinking I'd heard wrong, I asked him,"Are you sure?"... :laugh:

Anyway, I was so impressed...and the rear of my car was beginning to sound real loud with the increased flow...I dropped in again today and put in a nice S-Flow. Nice pipe, no restrictions - idle rpm remains the same, and I actually get more pickup but a lot less noise. This cost me the price of the muffler which was RM 450, fully stainless steel construction and pretty damn large with a nice agressive tip.

JFA Motorsports is on the mainroad when you drive into Sunway. You should have no trouble finding his signboard. :ciao:

Last edited:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
wow, thats is cheap.

I need to replace my end muffler, and maybe should do it together.. how long did you wait for?

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
I've used JFA's service for a few times.

1st was when i was looking for a bracket for the 6" K&N filter. I went to N1 racing & they said dun have bracket for A32. The refer me to JFA to get it customized. When I went to JFA, I asked the guys there & he had a look into my car & say "No problem, 6" boleh?" ... then i ask "Bracket ader ker?" he say can lar .. no problem... so i got it changed at JFA ....

2nd was when my friend sent his E34 supercharge for check up... i was looking at the numerous mufflers in his 'showroom' .. so tangan gatal lar .. ask how much to change rear muffler S type.. was quoted RM400 + RM200 for mid.... so OK lar .. change ..

Overall JFA provides good service & yes his a friendly type of guy. A lot of guys said that he charge expensive lar .. this lar . that lar .. but i find him OK. ...

Deffy .. am suprised that he charged RM180 for the Y pipe ... this makes my hand more gatal .. will check JFA out soon ,..

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
I think I waited for about 4 hours for the y-pipe...but that particular day was exceptional. He had 2 beamers, 1 supra, 1 merc, 1 wiralution, 1 track-only honda....

When I went to fix the muffler, he did it over lunch...so slightly more than an hour.

But remember, he did the y-pipe using my original flex pipe. Flex pipe would be around RM 150 or so... :smile:

A329878

Known Member
Sep 24, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU
Hi Defcon
This is my one, RM350 with flex-pipe ....
Around 3 hours +

A329878

Known Member
Sep 24, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU
maybe he wants equal length for both of the runner.
Yes i'm request to make it equal length :biggrin:

There is different between two, acceleretion are better and smoothen :rofl:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
I fix my, total kill RM 750. in Wai Yip Puchong.

Change Y pipe (2"), replace original pipe to 2.2" my original pipe hole leaking already. new mid muffler, and flexi, my free R34 rear muffler.

Later will change the rear muffler to better one, i think the r34 muffler internal maybe burn out a bit noisy when listen from outside, inside the car still acceptable.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Guys, i need to replace my rear muffler, any recommend for a good and silent unit?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi to all sifus and otais..
I have one problem with my wira 1.5. I just change lower from ori to EVO 3 lower arm and ARB (Anti Roll Bar). The problem is when I make a turn, the ARB will hit my chasis. Then I cut the stabilizer link and I add another 0.5 inci of metal (batang besi) to make stabilizer link longer to be same as waja and the problem solved. My question are is there any stabilizer link that have 9.5 inchi lenght? Why I didn't use waja stabilizer link? Because the head not...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience