RB20det problem (big problem!!!)

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
Dear sifus, need your help on this, it's somekind of a fuel problem for my car, it's a standard GTS R32 engine. I just changed a fuel pump and spark plugs after this situation occured and it doesn't change a thing, so need you guys to help me out.

the condition is when normal driving or when I tekan also will feel the fuel doesn't feed into the engin, like no petrol is pumped into the engine. Sometimes no problem when driving, only occurs SOMETIMES, so it's so hard for my mechanic to check what's the problem. when it occurs, my car can't rev above 2500rpm, sometimes lower. Sometimes the engine just drop dead, but restarting my engine is not a problem. is it the AFM or the ECU or the INJECTORS? or my fuel lines?

Thanks in advance

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Check that the fuel filter is not stuffed up, fuel line pressure been checked?, clean the electrical connectors at the AFM, ECU and the Ignitor. Does the car mis-fire too?.

Good Luck !

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
it'll miss-fire sometimes, not very often, and only when I press on the fuel hard enough. going to check those things ASAP. Maybe it's the AFM stuck, 'cause the engine will SUDDENLY drop dead when idling, and sometimes when idling, rev will not stay in one rpm, sometimes will go up to 1500rpm or even 2000rpm. I'll post updates....thanks

topui11

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Visit site
i can think of 2 things.. faulty AFM or Fuel pump.

try and clean the connectors to the AFM. also, check your fuel pressure.

a31gtst

500 RPM
May 27, 2004
Check your ECU fault code.
But it sounds to me like your O2 sensor is the problem.

Do you have any meters that show your air/fuel ratio? If you do and it always reads lean that means your O2 sensor is buggered up. I had a similar problem with the same synthoms, so i suggest first check the O2 connector then if you can get hold of a spare O2 sensor do a swap and test.

If you want to try another AFM i have a spare and you can try it out to confirm.

all the best.

DinNismo

Known Member
Dec 11, 2004
GardenOFStarS
Visit site
This will sound a bit wako but I had a similar prob b4, changed almost everything but finally it was the damn distributer.... shorts sometimes after 2500rpm n sometimes its ok...dies at idle (sometimes)...

just my 2cents....

gud luck bro

sage

500 RPM
Jan 5, 2005
KL/PJ
Visit site
i had a similar problem too. Mine was due to dirty AFM. cleaned it and serviced the throttle body. came out kickin ass!!! haha..
okok, hmm... i think there wiil be steps to take b4 u find the problem. start from the cheapest then the expensive ones. ull hit it soon. try stick a strobe at the exaust to see if ur runnin rich at that rev. fuel pump faulty at higher RPM? can that happen? does the buzzing sound change when idling?
hope i helped a little! :)

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Huh ???, can someone please tell me if there is a distributor on the
RB20DET?, where is it la?. We are supposed to help and not to
confuse the guy...!.

Let us know what your findings are after going thru the suggested
checks and we'll see where we can assist somemore. I got the
thinking that it could be an electrical problem if the fuel line pressure
is ok but I may still be wrong, keep us updated.

Good luck !

DinNismo

Known Member
Dec 11, 2004
GardenOFStarS
Visit site
coldair said:
Huh ???, can someone please tell me if there is a distributor on the
RB20DET?, where is it la?. We are supposed to help and not to
confuse the guy...!.

Let us know what your findings are after going thru the suggested
checks and we'll see where we can assist somemore. I got the
thinking that it could be an electrical problem if the fuel line pressure
is ok but I may still be wrong, keep us updated.

Good luck !

Haiya...need to spoon-feed haa uncle hehehe

not everyone as technical as u maaaa...or I could say the round thing next to the RB20 wording.....hahahaha

bdin

Known Member
Oct 16, 2004
yes, this will sounds dumb.
It happened one time, I'm having more or less the same prob as well, my friend as well (he's runnning RB25, me 20). Both just completed some repair job, then we hit the road for test drive. My friend's ceffy has SAFC2, so we (together with another friens whose a mech) cracked our head to figure out the cause, but I guess we all just think too heavy instead, we've forgotten as simple as might be that the fuel level is too low for that type of pump. After top-up the petrol, problem solved.

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
DinNismo said:
Haiya...need to spoon-feed haa uncle hehehe

not everyone as technical as u maaaa...or I could say the round thing next to the RB20 wording.....hahahaha

DinNismo,
Arrrrrrrrrrr....., that round thing on the timing belt cover next to the word RB20?, that's
a CAS (Cam Angle Sensor) la..., but you did good in pointing out the CAS, the CAS can
be a possible cause too !.

If I ever want to buy something from you I would ask for a picture or view the item
personally...., with just your description I would be afarid, very afraid that it's going to
turn out that it's not the part I want !. hahahahaha...!. Cheers my friend I am learning
too !.

jeffblazed

1,000 RPM
Nov 7, 2004
bdin said:
yes, this will sounds dumb.
It happened one time, I'm having more or less the same prob as well, my friend as well (he's runnning RB25, me 20). Both just completed some repair job, then we hit the road for test drive. My friend's ceffy has SAFC2, so we (together with another friens whose a mech) cracked our head to figure out the cause, but I guess we all just think too heavy instead, we've forgotten as simple as might be that the fuel level is too low for that type of pump. After top-up the petrol, problem solved.
kena this before also.....put rm20 fuel...now always fulltank....