Protection for headlamps

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
does the clear spray work?? i dont dare cuba... if i screwup.. habis....

wax helps, but does not last long.... I have to wax every 2 weeks
also tried toothpaste on a set of badly scratched lamps... it really helped, after an hour scrubbing with toothpaste and an old toothbrush, it was very clear again..... must have been very abrasive
Toothpaste works on yellow and blur headlamps only. If got crack lines and scratches use fine sand paper first then finish with toothpaste....:driver:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
My experience so far:
1. Toothpaste works - to remove light oxidation. Headlamp will start to become yellowish after 2-3 weeks
2. Wax, silicon spray - lasted a month plus
3. Soft glass coating - 3-4 months
4. Spar urethane - nearly a year
5. Polyurethane - screwed up the lamp and had to re-sand. Something must be wrong there

How i know the durability? For no 1 and 2, i removed most of the oxidation with a buffer. Then applied those stuffs. For item 3, i applied to my own car(already has some sign of oxidation) and monitor closely. After 3-4 months some new oxidation surfaces. Item 4. Tried on many cars, all lasted for nearly a year.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My experience so far:
1. Toothpaste works - to remove light oxidation. Headlamp will start to become yellowish after 2-3 weeks
2. Wax, silicon spray - lasted a month plus
3. Soft glass coating - 3-4 months
4. Spar urethane - nearly a year
5. Polyurethane - screwed up the lamp and had to re-sand. Something must be wrong there

How i know the durability? For no 1 and 2, i removed most of the oxidation with a buffer. Then applied those stuffs. For item 3, i applied to my own car(already has some sign of oxidation) and monitor closely. After 3-4 months some new oxidation surfaces. Item 4. Tried on many cars, all lasted for nearly a year.
Where to get no.3 and how much?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That's why an old car isn't necessarily a bad thing hahah but still will have chipping though. From my observation, things in the past are built to last..

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk
I think less weight and seems safety point of view as broken plastic not as bad as broken glass.....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Where to get no.3 and how much?
I used duragloss nano glass coat. I bought it for my car paint actually but well heck why not try it on headlamp also. On car body it lasted for around 10 months (with spray wax topping every week) then the roof coating gave way first then followed by the hood and side mirrors then the doors. Coating on fender and door lasted for almost a year

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
I think less weight and seems safety point of view as broken plastic not as bad as broken glass.....
Yeap one of the reasons too...pedestrians safety is taken into consideration now..like some car have bonnet crumple zone for minimizing injuries to them incase something bad happened...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I used duragloss nano glass coat. I bought it for my car paint actually but well heck why not try it on headlamp also. On car body it lasted for around 10 months (with spray wax topping every week) then the roof coating gave way first then followed by the hood and side mirrors then the doors. Coating on fender and door lasted for almost a year
Sorry I meant no.4. :biggrin: