Planning to get A32

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys

I want to take a break from the Holden, so sick of paying for the petrol (they are not cheap here), and I came across an offer for a 1997 Nissan Maxima (Cefiro) A32 30S Touring. I am not very sure of Cefiros and I havent driven one. But it does not have the clear crystal front lamp, so is it a 1st generation model?

The seller said mechanically it's fine, yes, I test drive it and it is smooth as silk, much more quieter than the Holden! although it has already run around 150,000km.

Alternator had been replaced but not the timing belt, so I guess if I am getting the car, I would head straight to replace the timing belt, how hard would it be, and is it expensive? Just be honest, if it's expensive in Malaysia, it should be a lot more expensive here, so I have to consider.

Other than that, it has 2 cylinder less, and half capacity less than the Holden, so should be alright in fuel, I was told it would do 10.5l/100km, is that true?

Please convince me to get the car :_: , and I'll start a new project buildup for it.

Cheers mates

Ed

MafiaRide

Jun 26, 2006
Hi Ed,

The 3L ones can generally last. I have seen good working samples which has clocked about 500,000km. Some 300,000km. I have the year 2000 model which has about 74,000km on it and still very good except that the previous owner probably used it for offroading or something. Had to change the underarms and suspension. Basically overhauling the whole suspension system.

The 3L ones uses timing chain. The believe is that it will last the lifetime of the car but you probably need to tighten the pulleys. Of course changing the timing chain will give you peace of mind that it won't break in the next few years but generally it will last. The car which has 500,000km on it is still using the original timing chain.

At least for my ride, I don't find its expensive to maintain excluding overhauling the suspension system. This really depends on the previous driver's usage. Other than that, I just go about doing my routine maintenance of oil change, etc. Just did my 2nd oil change for RM145. Didn't really change anything except for the rocker panel gaskets.

Fuel consumption is good as I do alot of commuting. I can consistently average 700km on a full tank [RM120].

I'm not out to convince you but I'm just telling you my experience. Buying a used car is sometimes like gambling. The car might be in good condition before you buy it but all hell breaks loose when you take ownership of it. So good luck :-)

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Hi Mafiaride

Thanks for the clarification. I am very very glad that you informed me about the timing chain, which is convincing me to get the car even more now. Alright, I know the timing chain should last much longer than the belt counterpart, so I shouldn't worry much about it since it only clocks 150,000km.

The other problem that the owner brought up to me was the brakes. I am not sure what he is talking about, but he claimed that the discs needs to be machined because the surface is not flat? He said sometimes you get woobly feelings when you step on the brakes, but during my test drive, there was nothing wrong with the brakes. So could there be any possibilities that you guys can think off?

He did however, told me that he had just changed a new set of calipers for the rear brakes, and my suspicion concern rose that it could be the problems with some air trapped in the brake oil line during when they changed the calipers?

So, anyone else here with a 3.0 V6 engine A32 can clarify to me that the engine is tough enough to run for another few years?

I mean if there is any abuse to the engine, it shouldnt be runing smoothly anymore right? It did run very very smoothly when I test drive the car earlier today, and I am very surprised with it.

ed

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
welcome edgar to the gang .. there are a few A32 owners here. I'm 1 of them. Got a 3L baby.

Firstly u will love the power it generates. Also not forgetting the VQ series engine has won numerous awards. Don't worry about trashing the engine. As long as u change your engine & gear oil frequently, it would generally last a few years. even if it fails, u could always get a 2.5L engine from Japan.

Some of our brothers here have done it. Power wise, lesser then the 3L but better then the 2L.

As for the brakes. If u worry about them, u can always get R32 skyline brakes to replace the existing 1s. should not cause any problem.

as for the air trapped, it would only cause sponginess on the brake pedal when depress.

wobbling feeling during braking might be due to a few factors. 1 of them is tire, some goes to ABS system or a uneven disc surface that needs skimming .. .

parts are a plenty around the market. only thing is knowing the rite contact.

cgui...

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Just want to let you know I'm in Australia, so all labour cost will be high, that's why I am trying to keep everything clarified so that I won't end up paying more than the price of the car itself for the restoration.

The paint isn't that good, so I will re-consider getting the car if we can get through a better offer.

The interior sucks though. It's grey and it's so dirty and there are stains everywhere, I am not sure how much this is gonna cost me to clean them, or should I just go straight to changing the carpet? Is it possible to source an used item from Japan?

About the R32 brakes, are they a direct fit or do I need any modifications to it?

I was just replying to another thread and I found out that the headlights for the 1st generation (the one I am after) is inter-changable with the 2nd generation clear headlights, how cool is that? :-D that will be the first thing I would do if I get the car though.

The seller is offering me (yeah! he offered me) and very special price for now, considering a few things that needs replacement, such as new tyres, re-gas the air-conditioner, repaint, restore interior and etc. All that will probably set me back around AUD$2k or more. :( 1/3 of the selling price. :D

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
hey mate...welcome...anyway, the 3.0 engine was voted the best engine for 10 yrs. its better than holden for sure. if u use fully syn engine oil, u wont notice if ur engine is running! :biggrin:
mine was a 3.0 (lasted 340,000km) before i swapped to 2.5 becoz of roadtax.

the brakes prob would be probably the rotors r fully used. u can try to source a new rotors (shouldnt cost much) and its an easy job to put them in. u dont need a r32 4 pot system unless u r trashing ur ride in the track. stock system is 2 pot which its good enough. of course u can skim the rotors but its better to get new one.

another thing u should look carefully its the gearbox. make sure the owner has full service record on it coz they cost a bomb here...not too sure in Oz though although there r a lot of scrap cefiro from NZ. hope this help. cheers

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Aloooo all ZTH sifu.....

I have mivec 1.6 head+intake manifol without distributor. I want to 'kawin' it with my 4G92 SOCH proton engine, so what I need to do and whitch workshop can do this 'kawin' things. How much it will cost me? I really need help, hope all of U can give me the answer please.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience