piston damage

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
perhaps during the last overhaul, the mechanic tooking off the piston pin and make it invisible cracked already. Another way might be your engine run slight lean.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i've blown many engines and pistons before, in my opinion ringlands failure are due to the age of the pistons... maybe used too long already. never heard new pistons experiencing ringlands failure, even in badly bored engines... usually piston rings suffer due to bad clearance but never ringlands...

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
quick review thru google... show many possible causes...
however they're mainly on boost application not NA...

my conclusion...
too high compression for stock OEM pistons...

maybe forged piston is the next route...:burnout:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i never kena on car....

but on race bike it is usual case of over compression/too advance ignition timing with prolonged knocking....

and probably usage of lower rated RON fuel instead of the actual RON needed for the engine... (last time because use RON92 fuel over RON97 during race) :adore:

maybe u can give us some detail on engine spec./mods/tuning and current state of the engine before this happen... :adore:

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
i've blown many engines and pistons before, in my opinion ringlands failure are due to the age of the pistons... maybe used too long already. never heard new pistons experiencing ringlands failure, even in badly bored engines... usually piston rings suffer due to bad clearance but never ringlands...
hi thanks for feedback..for info this is new piston & ring set & it oversize...it original OEM Toyota..

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

i never kena on car....

but on race bike it is usual case of over compression/too advance ignition timing with prolonged knocking....

and probably usage of lower rated RON fuel instead of the actual RON needed for the engine... (last time because use RON92 fuel over RON97 during race) :adore:

maybe u can give us some detail on engine spec./mods/tuning and current state of the engine before this happen... :adore:
this engine has been rebuild almost 2 years ago..all new part inside with toda hi-cam profile and ecu rev till 8500 rpm. open trumpet...with emanage..

p/s: this tread not mean to blame who & who just want to add more knowledge only...
p/S: that BROKEN one call RINGLAND...THANKS..:banghead:

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

yeah..it run ron 95..earlier run 97..coz govt. increase fuel price i change to ron 95 :banghead:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i think its a tiny stone jamming the ring causing the ring cannot move when piston move..

:wink:

Last edited:

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
quick review thru google... show many possible causes...
however they're mainly on boost application not NA...

my conclusion...
too high compression for stock OEM pistons...

maybe forged piston is the next route...:burnout:
erkkk...yeah...demm high comp..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
maybe after this rebuild u need to re-tune your ecu/piggy with less aggressive ignition timing a bit la but atleast can compensate with lower ron fuel.... :adore:

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
maybe after this rebuild u need to re-tune your ecu/piggy with less aggressive ignition timing a bit la but atleast can compensate with lower ron fuel.... :adore:
ecu black top already modd by blitz..dunno what is the setting inside..piggyback is history..need standalone afterthis..:listen: :driver: :hmmmm:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
If timing aggresive what will happen?

knocking,pinging or whatever its name...

results similiar to this thread starter picture...

can lead to overheating also... :adore:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
knocking,pinging or whatever its name...

results similiar to this thread starter picture...

can lead to overheating also... :adore:
Knocking...if he use stock ecu,can the stock ecu allow the knocking to continue to happen? Isn't that stock ecu got knock sensor and will retard if heavy knock occurs?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Knocking...if he use stock ecu,can the stock ecu allow the knocking to continue to happen? Isn't that stock ecu got knock sensor and will retard if heavy knock occurs?
yup..i also about to ask the same question at TS....

but above he mention use another modded ecu..so dunnow if the knock sensor still function or not...

p/s:if TS decided to use standalone ecu then don't forget to include the knock sensor with the standalone setting....it is good to have that....

*on engine that me usually familiar (proton) doesn't have that...without dyno....all mods is equal to "research and destroy" ekekekekeke :biggrin: if it doesn't break..then it is good.... :adore: