Perdana Worries

jawoliso

Known Member
Sep 29, 2005
My dad owns a 97 Perdana. Now the thing is, he is using normal/ ordinary engine oil for his car. I adviced him to use at least a semi-sin engine oil to give some protection for the engine.
But as usual he quote his 'pomen' wise words: "As long as u service the car every 5000km it does not matter what engine oil you use. Better u save that money than to use expensive engine oil."
Guys pls help me to explain it to him as he only hear his pomen's wise words.
Thanks in advance.

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
If ur dad has been using mineral oil for such a long time.. upgrading to semi-syn or fully-syn won't really make much a difference.. because normally when the engine is new we wanna give the maximum protection.. anyways for older engine some times is better to use mineral oil as its thicker..

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
don`t worry brother..as long as ur dad services his car every 5k km it is ok...if like me i use semi sintetic...and ran the car for 15k before next service...hehehe...freaking stingy guy i am...

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Actually... old engines such as the 4G63 SOHC 16V on Perdana SEi can use any mineral oil. Semi-synth is not very useful on old engines unless u have rebuild them.

jawoliso

Known Member
Sep 29, 2005
After a while of not driven the car, I found that it is lossing power when I took it for a spin recently.
Cause when I'm around I would take it for service and use semi-sin oil. Lately I'm quite busy with work and he takes it for servicing he will be using normal (mineral oil). Could it be the cause of the car lossing power?

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Lost of power? Check spark plugs, gearbox ATF, aircon, alternator and fuel filter.

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
get it serviced again if needed,normal engine oil would be fine and get the engine properly tuned by a reputable workshop ...

jawoliso

Known Member
Sep 29, 2005
acbc said:
Lost of power? Check spark plugs, gearbox ATF, aircon, alternator and fuel filter.
Bro, fuel filter or oil filter? Is there any difference?

clubman

Jan 14, 2005
no problem la using normal engine oil for your dad car ,, but if u car it think u should consider at last semi oil especially if your like to push the padel , always to high rpm.....

fuel filter for petrol, located need fuel pump
oil filter for engine oil

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
If experience power loss, the fuel filter could be the culprit, people usually don't change it. I changed mine after upgrading the fuel pump.

I took out the filter n found it to be very dirty... no wonder car no power last time.

kelvio

1,000 RPM
Jan 16, 2005
selangor
www.geocities.com
well mineral oil is ok if u change it every 5k but if u put semi it last for 10k
if u always use the car is best u put semi cos the oil is much more smooth and ur engine runs cooler so = FC lower than normal save $$$
but the disadvantage:if u dun use the car so frequenly the oil will get thicker in ur engine. the car will give u a hard time to start up

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,was wondering is it possible to readjust the valve clearance ourself??Cos I feel that my car feels underpowered,and is knocking like crazy,plan to DIY...btw,I am driving an Iswara..Thnx... :X-: :X-: :X-:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience