Oil leak at Spark Plug

limch1

Known Member
Oct 27, 2004
PJ
www.geocities.com
Got a new problem for my Elantra. Change to the Denso Iridium Spark Plug and noticed my original NGK spark plug got some oil leak.

It only happened at my 3rd spark plug where some oil leak are noticable surrounding the tip of the plug. Not sure if anyone having the same problem.

All this while I'm following the service schedule at Kah Bintang Jln 222. Hope it's not a very serious problem.

Check this out at http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/techbulletins/tech_mrbishi1.htm

HMS

1,000 RPM
Jan 20, 2004
Penang
www.maxperformance.com.my
so far i haven't encounter anything wrong with my previous plug change 2 months ago. My car covered 131000km todate. Changing from IK20 to IK22.

Oni got excessive carbon cos O2 reading not rite due to leaking extractor. Early morning start also no problem at all, never encounter anything abnormal yet except my fuel consumption.

recently also did ECU reset after bypass the coolant hose to TB.

limch1

Known Member
Oct 27, 2004
PJ
www.geocities.com
HMS said:
Changing from IK20 to IK22.

recently also did ECU reset after bypass the coolant hose to TB.
HMS,

How's IK20 and IK22? Is there any different? How come they only change to IK16 for me? Maybe that's why I can't feel much different.

What about the coolant bypass? Does it help? Can you feel better performance when engine is hot or hot weather?

cws8622

Known Member
May 3, 2005
/

exactly the same problem to my coupe, also the 3rd plug. i just noticed that problem when i fixing a real disc brakes to my coupe when i back to hometown last two weeks. the mechanic feel that my exhaust flow is abnormal and also the engine is a bit shacking. and he asked me is that the fuel consumption very high compare to before and also lost of power... "it's what happened to my car this few months..." he straight away swap the plug cable to check, but the problem still persist. so he take a persure gauge to measure the internal valve presure, and really as what he said, the normal pressure for a normal valve presure will be at 150psi, if i not mistaken for the unit. but the 3rd valve presure only have about 80psi. it's cause by the internal valve leakage and need to re-fine the internal valve.and if the valve condition is very worst, then have to change it out. it cost about RM600 included the labour fee and all the gasket, not included the engine oil... so, good luck to ur car....

HMS

1,000 RPM
Jan 20, 2004
Penang
IK22 have much better respond than IK20. Can feel the difference a when u rev the engine time, the rpm climbs much faster and provide better power.

Reason behind, heat range 7 plugs absorb more heat away from the combustion chamber, thus its good to have cooler internals to reduce component fatique. Cooler also means less prone to misfire during high rpm, also provide stronger and more accurate sparks. Its also very good for high compresion engine, beta engine compression ratio is 10.1 if not mistaken, consider on the high side for NA non vtec non mivec.

Too cold is a problem too, spark plugs needs to heat up to about 500 degree to achieve self cleaning of excess carbons. thats y too cold will cos the engine to stall or irregular idling when these carbons cover up the plugs tip. Also will be harmful to the catalytic and o2 as well as ur engine oil getting dirty faster. But what I am trying to find out now is the advance technology of OBD-II ECU, will it know how to compensate the fuel when the o2 detects the changes, cos the ecu are suppose to maintain AF ratio.

the by pass really helps, power really comes, worth the trouble to do it. But i wonder y they need to direct engine coolant to the TB in out hot weather country ??? Even now i am thinking how to reduce the heat of the intake manifold, maybe i want to drill a hole and take some temperature measurement of the air inside the manifold so i can design a thing to cool it down to around 20 degree celsius (active cooling).

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
cws8622 said:
exactly the same problem to my coupe, also the 3rd plug. i just noticed that problem when i fixing a real disc brakes to my coupe when i back to hometown last two weeks. the mechanic feel that my exhaust flow is abnormal and also the engine is a bit shacking. and he asked me is that the fuel consumption very high compare to before and also lost of power... "it's what happened to my car this few months..." he straight away swap the plug cable to check, but the problem still persist. so he take a persure gauge to measure the internal valve presure, and really as what he said, the normal pressure for a normal valve presure will be at 150psi, if i not mistaken for the unit. but the 3rd valve presure only have about 80psi. it's cause by the internal valve leakage and need to re-fine the internal valve.and if the valve condition is very worst, then have to change it out. it cost about RM600 included the labour fee and all the gasket, not included the engine oil... so, good luck to ur car....
cws, is it possible cause by the mod that you done ?

HMS

1,000 RPM
Jan 20, 2004
Penang
wondering u mean ur exhaust flow abnormal, is it u mean the gas come out uneven pressure?

cws8622 said:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all sifus,

1st of all, my car only done minor upgrading such as exhaust system, intake manifold, and using ECU ralliart .
here the situation:

1) been use E9 almost 1year and never pump 95 only 97. my fc is about MYR 50/90km:banghead:
2) last night i decided to pump 95:thefinger:. what is the cons of using 95 on mivec turbo?

please advise me.

Tq:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience