nissan sentra year 1990

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
i am driving a nissan sentra year 1990...dunno what model is that but it's using the same engine with nissan sunny...but it's 1.5 la. now i having this problem is...the rear wheel got sound...when go tru those numpy road...and it's seriously anoying me...the sound is like something is longgar....but after checked by the mechanic...he cant detect anything wrong. sigh~just wanna ask where i can get a good mech to handle such problem ar?and one more thing is...where can i get the engine bay wash ar?bcoz it's bloody dirty lar...and i dare not to wash it...bcoz no skill...and onre more thing is...how long we have to change the gear box oils?for manual car?thanks yea...

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Can you describe to me how it sounds like? Is it continuous or on-and-off?

If the rear wheel got sound, your shock absorber could be busted. The drum brakes may be faulty also so ask your mechanic to check that too.

You can get your engine bay cleaned at some workshops.

I'm not sure bout the gearbox oil change though.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I use to drive one of those, but mine's a 1988 Sentra. Love the car to the bits right until i sold it to a family friend who takes good care of it right now.

Anyways, it could very much be your absorber. Last time my dads car had some sound similar to what you described and the mechanic changed the absober and the sound went away. But that sound was consistent even in highways and worst when going over bumps. Again, it could be your brakes too, if this mechanic of yours can't diagnose the problem, find another mechanic.

As for washing the engine bay, its better to send to a mechanic to wash it. At least if the car can't start, he'll take responsibility. Last time i sent my Sentra for engine washing and it couldn't start although the mamak car washer wrapped up the distributor(was it alternator?) and he had to call a mechanic over to his place to restart the engine. So please be aware.

I change the gearbox oil every 30K KM if i'm not mistaken. Can't remember exactly but i use to send my car to this machine who's very well verse with Sentra's and he sure did maintain my car well.

Overall, Sentra is a pretty decent car to drive around. I like the handling of my ex Sentra. I use to overtake Satria's and Wira's like nothing in the Damansara bend and though its a little short of power, its still a great car.

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
yea~!

yea...it's really a nice car...but just the engine is not that powerfull during the pick up. but for my car, on the high way everything is just fine, oni got sound when go tru bumpy road. but one more thing that anoying me is, the rubber around the door. i think it's old and hard already, so during highway when i moving on 110-120...the wind sound very strong...anyway...do u all thing that i should lower the car and install the strut bar?bcoz the car is quick high and not stable if doing a high speed conering....

turbonetics

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
Visit site
hey bro..long time no see....

ur probs might be the absorber kong...or the bush or maybe sway bar's bush..cuz my corona also having some annoying sound...at 1st i thought is absorber or lower arm's bush...in the end is the sway bar's bush

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Skylor, to be really honest with you, i never had any major handling problems with this Sentra. Mine's a stock standard car but i must say its in tip top condition when it left my house. I had used Monroe absorber on all 4 wheels and the handling of this car is superb. I've driven many cars around the Damansara bend and the Sentra takes it very well indeed. But of coz it cannot be compared with cars installed with strut bar and lowered. I've driven my friends satria, saga, gf's wira aeroback, few other cars including my current civic and i'd like to think this old Sentra handles pretty well. I do think if you're complaining the car is not stable, you have to check your absorbers and springs. But then again, if you want a more stable car, you can lower and put on a strut bar, its fine.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
nak menyampuk sket. i think we are talking bout the same sentra here. introduced in 1988 as 1.5SLX but got a 1.6 SUPERVALVE engine in 1990. both using timing chain. very nice and powerful indeed.

sorry had no experience with the car...:D

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
oh

ohya...my car absorber...is the stock original...so many years d...i think should be the absorber problem lo then...must send back to chek again. yaya...what i mean is not stable enough...the car like too high...em...anyways...thanks for the opinion yea?highly appreciate it:)
oh ya...the car is not using timing chain...it's using timing belt...but it do have the 1.6 version...with better engine...injection and better Accasary

Last edited:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
genting taxi is the sentra B13. famous for its fuel efficency as well as having enuff poke to climb the highland.

i the 88 sentra is coded B12.

120Y 4 speed - B210
120Y 5 speed - B310
120Y 5 speed with chrome bumper - B310A
130Y sunny - B11
sentra 88 - B12
sentra 91 EFI 16V - B13
sentra 94 - B14
sentra present - N16

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
My Sentra is the B12 model. Its a timing chain 1.5 SLX manual. I think the 89 or 90 model is a 1.6 with auto transmission.

Dude, you haven't changed your absorber since the day you bought it? I think no need to check with mechanic. You just need to change it straight and you'll feel a world of difference in comfort and handling.

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
ya, i think i am going to change the absorber. last time i wanna change, then the mech uncle say no need change lar, original better and still working. dun care lar, this time must get it change. so sifus here got any suggestion what absorber will be good?i think i prefer confortable more lo...anyone can suggest me what absorber should i go and roughly tell me about the price?thanks yea...

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
If you're in a budget, you can buy a brand new OEM absorbers. About RM120/pc. For a little better ones, you have to pay about RM150 to RM170 for Monroe or even Kayaba ones. They're guaranteed to give you a much better ride in terms or comfort and handling.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
in 93, sunny 130Y was still on sale. if that's the one th price shud not be more than 15K. must nego lower as the car is already 12 years old, and it is the taiwan spec one. small bumper.

if 93 sentra ur saying (aka genting taxi) th range is between 20-25K. differs whether manual or automatic as well as condition.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

DRB-Hicom has temporarily suspended Swiss national, Dany Bahar, from his role as Lotus CEO and has confiscated Mr Bahar's laptop and mobile as part of its inquiry.

The company announced last week that Mr Bahar had been "temporarily suspended from his role, to facilitate an investigation into a complaint about his conduct." Although there were no specifics as to the cause of the inquiry...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience