New Project - Chasis Stiffening Mods for Improved Handling

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Uh-uh! Sorry, but am alergic to Tritons...the moment I touch one, I break out in rashes in all the most sensitive areas... :laugh:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Hey Cheong,

Sorry, I don't sell the stuff. That photo was from the US where they make these bars for the Maxima...basically a cefiro with a different skin. In the US, they would cost anywhere from USD 109 - 169 for a non-adjustable bar. Trust me, there is no point to get an adjustable one.

The rear bar can be fabricated by Ultra Racing for the cefiro. Or, if you have a machine shop with the proper bending and quenching facilities, you could ask them to make you one.

Right now, I am more interested in the subframe connectors cos this may very well stiffen up the frame enough such that a rear sway bar may not be necessary.

Btw, a rear sway bar, coupled with a rear torsion bar may stiffen up the rear too much. It will function like a dream when the road was dry, but you have to be extra careful in the wet. The minor flexing of the chasis just before the rear of your car gives (or buang) is very important because it warns you that you are on the edge.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
You and me both... :sad_smile:

Wanna share a cell? Can swap roadkill stories... :laugh:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Subframe Connectors - basic design by defcon1 for the 1996-1999 Nissan Cefiro.

Components of the Subframe Connector :

The completed structure :

The diagrams are, of course, not to scale. But I should be doing some basic measurements this weekend so that I can complete the schematic and get someone to begin fabrication... :smile:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
The subframe connector prototype is being built. Lee's bro is a machinist and welder... :smile:

Next week, we'll do the measurements and the final re-design. I have to take a few more things into consideration i.e. is the original rail strong enough to take the force. If not, the design will be modified to spread the force a little more and not just to the 6 welding points. I've also been under the car and come up with a little tweak that will improve the overall handling...

Both the front end and rear end of the rails will connect via a very strong bracket to the bolts holding the lower arm in front and the torsion bar in the rear. This will eliminate, to a greater degree, the flexing especially of the front absorber mounts during hard turns and hard braking.

Also, I am considering machining some simple bushings out of nylon or hard polyurethane to give the entrie subframe connector a very little bit of flex...basically allowing some of the force to spread over a larger area...

Let's see what finally comes out... :smile:

p.s. when deffy says he's building it....he BUILDS it... :laugh:

b)

honggas

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Defcon, when is the tentative date of completion ?

Really interested in the outcome :smile:

With all these self made mods to your car, I'm surprised if your car still look like a ceffy :biggrin:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
heh...all hidden mods... :smile:

Not sure...depends on next week...whether we can solve all the structural problems we will encounter...

We need to put in the mod, with minimal damage to the original chasis...and spread out the force enough such that the attachment points of the subframe connectors do not become stress points and cause the chasis to break... :smile:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Ultra Racing's costing for a stage 1 perdana is around RM 450 - 550. This is a stage 2, but because it's so easy to build, I do not expect to hit UR's price.

Keep in mind...this mod basically makes upgraded anti-roll bars and rear sway bars redundant for normal driving. In track cars, these 2 bars still need upgrading.

honggas

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Speaking of bars, I've been trying to call Kent the Zenden guy to get a front strut bar for my car but couldn't seem to reach him.

Anyone knows of any other alternatives?

honggas

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Hmm .. that's weird .. I can't even find the thread anymore ... what happened ?:hmmmm2:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All,

My current CVT gearbox has failed 3 times. I'm sick and tired of this gearbox.
Please advice if i can convert my 4G18 cvt GB to 4G92 auto GB.
Do i need to swop the ECU as well?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience