Never-ending Weird Sound, Evo IX

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
I've searched through lot of sources and seems like i do not get anything out there, so i've came to conclusion to open a thread and hope sifu out there can help me out..

Recently, i upgraded my camshaft (s1), changed serpentine belt (worn out) , tighten timing belt (we found it's loosen before we dissemble to install the camshaft, so we tighten it).

And after that, i noticed there is a NEW sound coming from the engine. Which is similar to like 'airplane' sound. When free gear, press the throttle a little bit to 2k, you can hear the 'airplane' sound louder, and minimize when the rpm drop back to 1k. Very noticeable when inside tunnel or underground parking.

I've tried to relocate the sound, and is somewhere around the belt and pulley side.

Close view, try to hear for the second sound after the engine rev, the engine rev sound will minimize first, then followed by the 'airplane' sound behind.
Weird 'airplane' Sound Evo IX - YouTube

In-car view.
IMG 0025 - YouTube

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
could it be a belt being too tight????

worth to do re-check on all belt including timing belt... :adore:

drift_devil05

1,500 RPM
Feb 26, 2008
www.zerotohundred.com
Aiseh cousin why no call me?? :banghead:

1. Fan Belt Bearing
2. Fan Belt Tensioner pulley Bearing

Try this 2... Chances is high since your mech remove the fan belt stuff for installing the S1.. kekekeke.... Dapao drink come my shop la.. :listen:

R11

Jun 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
sorry bro clanzkiller for hijacking ur thread..

So, how does it feel with the new S1? in term of low end to mid range response?
spool same like stock, faster or a bit lag?

Im also plan to upgrade my stock IX cam either S1 or S2, but still undecided which..

DD_05, I heard that you carry the GSC cam S1-S2, what's your recommendation?

right now, the only mods I've done to my IX - tomei arms M7960, Walbro255, 3" exhaust,
open pod and Ecutek reflash.

Beside cam, plan to upgrade the forged pistons/rod/injector/head stud as well while maintain the 4G63 block & 2.0 stroke for reliability.

Looking for around 400whp figure.

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
Aiseh cousin why no call me?? :banghead:

1. Fan Belt Bearing
2. Fan Belt Tensioner pulley Bearing

Try this 2... Chances is high since your mech remove the fan belt stuff for installing the S1.. kekekeke.... Dapao drink come my shop la.. :listen:
Hahaha, don wan kacau u ma :(... OK will do..hope really that's the problem that make me don dare to go dyno xD.

could it be a belt being too tight????

worth to do re-check on all belt including timing belt... :adore:
Thanks bro..

Im also plan to upgrade my stock IX cam either S1 or S2, but still undecided which..

right now, the only mods I've done to my IX - tomei arms M7960, Walbro255, 3" exhaust,

Beside cam, plan to upgrade the forged pistons/rod/injector/head stud as well while maintain the 4G63 block & 2.0 stroke for reliability.

I don feel the lag i guess. And is more towards low-mid. Only tested on 2nd/3rd gear cause the car is not tune yet, and yet i afraid there is problem with the timing belt, or overtension, that may lead to unwanted outcome, so didn't fully tested the cam.

If DD_05, he sure ask u to take s2 one xD..
wa bro your current setup, i believed after u installing the cam, u can reach d. And with your setup, i would suggest u to go for s2, cause s1 is for small potato like me :)...

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006

Don't see why you have to change Piston/Con Rod for a 400whp??
They are generally agreeable to be quite strong with Con Rod Bolt being the main weak link and the point to become caution about it is about 425-450ft/lb at the wheel
Your current setup should be able to net you nearly 400whp with right tuning
Of course Dynojet HP:burnout:

R11

Jun 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
EVOFans,

You're right, but that will work fine with the stock cam which the revv range to 7500rpms.
As for the S2, I've been advised not to put too much burden on the stock pistons & rod as they are not meant to be revv higher than 8k rpms.

As we know that the S2 cams, combined with the beehive springs/retainers are able to revv till 9k rpms on the 2.0 motor (stock crank).

My plan to maximise the arms turbo and to make the full use of this cam, with regards to keep the internal parts revving happily.. :driver:

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
R11, don't forget your race bearings too ...

Slowboy

Known Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Also better change your crank pulley to ATI or Fluidmper.

I am interested to know the outcome also, because lot of story of the 7960. Sorry im not degrading your turbo, just curious because currently searching for a suitable turbo.

R11

Jun 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

I am interested to know the outcome also, because lot of story of the 7960. Sorry im not degrading your turbo, just curious because currently searching for a suitable turbo.
Is it a good or a bad story u've heard? I'm a bit suspense here :listen:

my current setup only made 300whp/288wtq with dynojet (N1)..

kind of disappointed with the result tbh. spent rm2k for the 20mins reflash is not really worth it..

what power range you are looking for your new turbo?

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
tumpang?

you have driven my car to Klang last time to buy ur tyre? forgot already?

hehe..
Mana boleh lupa beb... itu dulu before kereta kau jd monster.
Bila dah power boleh la test... cepat-cepat sikit upgrade & let me know.

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006

TD06-25G ... lai lai .. :biggrin:

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
doooohhh....u guys should help me to figure out my problem!! hahahah kiding....

Anyway, just wondering, is that all the e9 have the same engine rev sound as in the first video?
That video has 2 diff tone when i rev my engine.
First tone is the engine rev sound, which is there first day i got the car till now. And i feel is getting louder? or something is wrong there?
Second tone is the airplane sound, which suspected that the PS pump creating the sound. But no oil leakage, and use screw driver to diagnose the sound, can feel that something inside is not in a good condition.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys.. i own a 1.6 MT satria neo with campro as its heart.. and of cuz its an NA. im thinking of BOT/ Bolt On Turbo this engine.. so,

1. any suggestion HOW to? wat do i need?
2. do i need to change the internals? pistons?
3. precautions that i need to look after...
4. management? is it important?
5.the HP expected to gain.

and anything else u guys wanna add. really hope to get some info from ZTH people.. thanks a lot in advance for the replies~
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience