Need some help on sending car back to Malaysia from Australia

hanhng

Known Member
Nov 14, 2009
The earth
Hi, I m studying in Australia and going back in July, i have some question in importing my personal use vehicle into Malaysia.

I've read the thread about the process of importing which is on the main page, but i still have some question with me and i help you guys can help me out.

1. How long will it take for the department to process my application?
2. How much would the shipping cost to ship the car from Australia to Malaysia normally?
3. How long will the shipping take?
4. Will it be difficult to register the car?

I am expecting good comments and answer from those are experienced or familiar with importing process, thank you very much for viewing :)

feezdya

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2006
Pee Jay
www.takaful-ikhlas.com.my
Shipping charges, documentation and bureaucracy may also cause you problems, although hiring a shipping agent will alleviate most of the stress involved, charges will of course be imposed.

To import your car, you must apply for an Approval Permit (AP) from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI).

In order to apply for this permit your car must be registered under your name for at least 3 years. The following documentation must then be presented and processed:

1. A letter of application addressed to the Ministry Of International Trade and Industry (MITI) for the importing of a car from your home country to Malaysia for personal use.
2. A JK69 form must be purchased MITI and duly completed.
3. Documentation indicating proof of ownership. Typically this will be a purchase receipt or transfer of ownership/letter from the previous owner if the car was purchased second-hand.
4. The original and photocopied registration.
5. The cars original insurance documents and/or a letter from the insurance company.
6. Your work permit and letter of contract from your employer in Malaysia.
7. A photocopy of your passport.

All these documents must be presented to the officer in charge at the MITI offices, who will also conduct a short interview. Processing of your application typically takes seven working days, if all goes well you will be issued an Approval Permit allowing you to import your car. The permit is valid for only 3 months, if you do not import your car by then, you will have to go through the entire process all over again.

Upon the arrival of your car, you are required to collect it yourself from the port and then you will need to apply for a permit from the Malaysian Road Transport Department or "Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan", this entails more registration paperwork which of course will include your proof of ownership and registration documents, a car inspection and the payment of the import duties.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Tax is all depends on year of the vehicle, CC and current market price in Malaysia...

And please find my answer in blue;

1. How long will it take for the department to process my application?
Last time, through my experience, it would take around 2 months plus to complete all documents. But now, not really sure since JPJ already upgrade their Process flow and lets us hope that they will be more efficient than last time...
2. How much would the shipping cost to ship the car from Australia to Malaysia normally?
My brother bring his car from Australia to Malaysia, the shipping charge is RM 5800 and you have to make sure that you car is covered by insurance. Mine from London, cost about 7k...
3. How long will the shipping take?
1 and half months but normally can say 2 months. Will stuck at port around 1 week-2 weeks (depends on your cable)
4. Will it be difficult to register the car?
YES!! It is lots of process you have to go through. But end of the day, it’s really worth!!!

Btw, what car you bought there? Now im in the midst of shipping my X5 from London. But now, postpone due to high tax quoted by Kastam; my tax will cost roughly 52k...Dammit...

hanhng

Known Member
Nov 14, 2009
The earth
Thank you so much :)
I was considering to bring my car back but seems like the time is limited for me to go through all the process, so i think i will sell it. I didn't know we have to pay so much tax upon the importation by personal AP, so it might just not worth the effort.

Man, hope you get your car out of the bloody Kastam soon, good luck!!

P/S. Was going to bring back my little shitty skyline neither Beemer nor continental car :P

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hmm...I knw tis is about car crimes and security post but my story is not relate 2 car crimes n security 1...jst wanna share a story which experienced by myself...

hmm...i was studied at penang n which my hometown at sungai petani which at kedah state...it happend at the sunday night which i m going 2 penang...i was b with my fren with my fren drive another car...here is the story..whn i was at the highway,the traffic gt abit jam...so only can 100km/h at the 2nd lane...whn i see rear view...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience