need help on turbo issues.

Ivan54

Known Member
Dec 5, 2008
hi all i need help .
lately i jus changed my turbo.and immediately after that i realize that my exhaust seems
significantly louder than before.i understand that sometimes swopping of turbos
might have slight different impacts on exhaust sound.but this is getting way too loud
for my liking. the sound is like those "side plant" " power valve" kinda sound.
asked my mechanic to check cos suspect that maybe its the up pipe gasket area leaking or maybe downpipe section not fixed properly.
but when car is jacked up and throttle floored .the sound seems to come from the rear end muffler instead of engine bay area .and checks are performed on my hks hi power exhaust to check for leaks but also dont have.
so now , would like to ask the gurus , could it be the turbo faulty ? or has anyone heard of faulty turbo which causes the exhaust sound to sound much louder than before ? or any other things that could cause this .my ride is a subaru wrx .
thanks alot for reading.
cheers.

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
what turbo did u install ?
did u enlarge the exhaust pipe diameters ? to 2.5" or 3" or 4" or ??
did you re-tune the engine ?
:smokin:

Ivan54

Known Member
Dec 5, 2008
what turbo did u install ?
did u enlarge the exhaust pipe diameters ? to 2.5" or 3" or 4" or ??
did you re-tune the engine ?
:smokin:
bro nothing is enlarged.basically just swop turbo and thats it .nothing else touched.
sigh..really dunno whats the problem.

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
it's only normal for your exhaust to be louder.. the larger turbo is flowing more exhaust gasses...

remember..turbocharging requires the larger the exhaust diameter and piping diameters as possible.. and as straight as possible...

Neyo

Known Member
Jun 29, 2007
i think thread started meant dat he swapped with de same spec turbo..which is y he said its a direct swap..

zulfadly

Known Member
Sep 16, 2007
bro,normal if the exz sound loud after change trbo..
b4 this i chnge to bnig trbo..
after that i hear my exz sound loud..
like vtec..
hahaha..
:rofl:

Ivan54

Known Member
Dec 5, 2008
hi all bros.thanks for the replies.

so far , why i am so concerned is that the sound is really loud .the sound is machiam like those powervalve ( side plant ) kinda sound.yes it somehow sound like vtec wide throttle with the BLAAAAAAAAAAK sound.LOL <--- thats the best way i can describe the sound.

anyway i have checked with workshop again.my tomei extractors and uppipe is not leaking and gasket seems to be ok as i changed to new ones when i did the turbo swop from my previous model to this td06 .check my kakumei 3" downpipe and my HKS mid pipe and muffler also no leaks or cracks.and as confirmed again,the sound seems to amplify out from my muffler.so that further strengthens the fact that loud sound is not from any leakage from the engine bay or downpipe section.my exhaust is fully straight thru with no cats/resonators or what so ever and its 3" all the way from downpipe to muffler ended with a 4.5" tip .
when to tuner and seek advise and afraid that ride might be running too lean thus forcing too much air mixture but after data logging , tuner said everything is fine and arranged tuning next coming week.so keeping fingers crossed and hope everything turns out fine.
really thanks all bros who gave comments to keep my heart at ease =)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Have u guys heard of vortex generator? i guess most of u guys will have seen it selling at accessories stores. As i know only lancer has it fitted. Will our cars benefit from it? It say to reduce drag and improve car's aerodynamic, its proven on an mitsu lancer evo but how about our cars?

Here's the photo of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience