need help...K&N air filter for carburettor

superglwl

Known Member
May 25, 2005
K.L
i hav an old K&N air filter for carburettor and i wanna install it in my nissan sunny DIY. should i change the filter of should i just buy the oil and apply it only??? if so where to buy the oil....i am living in cheras...

and will the new air filter affect fuel comsumption?

thank you

lix

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Visit site
Well, 1st of all to determine your filter is dirty or not, just simply point the filter towards the sun or a light source. If can see through the lights means your filter is ok and no need to wash. Some times after you washed, the filteration is not as good as half dirty cos with "dirt traps dirt" concepts works on K&N. Unless it is wery dirty then you need to wash it and re-oil it. I've been using K&N 10 yrs ago and the performance of this filter is excellent. I just wash it with dish washer cleaner and re-oil it using ATF then put it under the sun for 1 hour to let the filter element to soak the oil evenly. It works fine for me.

Weather installing the new filter can reduce or increase FC is depends on your driving behavior. If your driving style is smooth, and consistance, i would say your car FC will reduce and overall performance will increase due to more air (oxygen) to promote better combustion and less pollution.

Just my 0.22 cents:D

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
hey.. KNN filter can use dish washer liquid to wash ah?? then use ATF oil to re-oil?? performance same?

u are doing dat to ur filter for 10 years already? condition still good?

i heard ppl say we cant use soap or detergent to wash the KNN filter element... we need to use the cleaning kit from KNN n the re-oil kit from KNN too... how true is dat? to me i think this is like a marketing strategy to make ppl use onli KNN stuff..

me noobie in air filter stuff..

lix

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Visit site
This methods was thought by my Kuai Low (mat salleh) Racing Kaki when i studied at USA 12 years ago. I bought the K&N filter from State and used it at my Mazda for 10 years already.

K&N elemant can stand all kinds of detergents and oil (i even tried engine oil) as long as its not abrasive. After cleaning, MUST dry it naturally. DO NOT using air tools to blow dry it. This will distroy the cloth or the cotton element at the filter.

Tips to applying the oil:
DO NOT over apply or else the crab will suck the excessive oil into the C. Chamber and will dirty your intake.
After apply the oil let it dry under the sun for 1 hour to let the oil spread through the cotton element.
IF you over applied, using tissue to suck back the extra oil....

Happy Motoring...:D :D

lix

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Visit site
ATF will do loh..... Not too thick, and restrictive and able to perform accordingly. Why? Because I almost check the TB at least once a month to make sure there is clean and free of dust particals. So far so good lah.:)

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
singer oil worked for me the last time... I used floor cleaner + dishwashing liquid to wash it last time and have it dry in shady area before using it... just treat it like rayon/silk then it should be fine.

Also before inserting the filter back i would recommend to clean/oil the filter with a lil WD40...

superglwl

Known Member
May 25, 2005
K.L
hurm......me very new to diy...so whats is ATF oil???? where can i get those?

superglwl

Known Member
May 25, 2005
K.L
can used normal engine oli???? hehehe got extra at home if can noneed to buy

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
WD40 to clean other residuals like black oil and also to lubricate the outer ring of it la.

superglwl

Known Member
May 25, 2005
K.L
bout the installing part...i took of the old air filter and got 2 hose....1 connected to the top part of the engin and the other connected to a pipe behind the carburretor....but the k&N only got 1 hole to put the pipe....so i use it for the top part of the engin...and the pipe behind i stuck it with a closed end pipe............what i did is it correct?

anyway the pipe on top of the engine feels like air coming out of it but for the pipe behind the carburretor feels like air is suck in.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The current Z project is inspired by the same video that these guys from Down Under produced. First they bought a AUD500 shell, basically a Daihatsu Mira (or Perodua Kelisa 2 door), then stripped it apart, taken out the ailing engine, dumped in a Daihatsu Mira Turbo half cut, taken out the auto gearbox and swapped them over for a manual one. Then they bling up their cars with spacers, larger rims and a nice...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience