Need advise: buying an used EJ/EK 2 doors

geukai

Jul 25, 2006
Hello all honda sifus, as stated above, I will be viewing a few cars next week, so what are the things that I should take note of? Some already in my list:

- chassis weld at A pillar
- oil leak
- transmission leak
- drive shaft
- suspension test

Any items to add? Those car are not running on B series. I tried to search the related topic in the Honda forum but I couldn't find one, sorry...I'm still a noop in Honda. Hope I can learn from all the sifus here.

Thank you very very much.

2nd2none

Known Member
Sep 13, 2006
There r converted 1s out there but what ur budget then? All EJ/EK 2drs tat ya looking 4 r all yr make 96 and 95. So loan wise, u wont get much. Da must is 30K plus. And those converted 1s wont b selling at 40K n below. So u do ur budget. And buying those JDM EK2/3 u will need at least RM10K 2 do a d series 2 B series engine conversion. That's 4 b16a EK4 halfcut. IF u wanna b16b then u would hav 2 pay RM12K for da halfcut alone without bodyparts n also da interior parts.

geukai

Jul 25, 2006
2nd2none said:
There r converted 1s out there but what ur budget then? All EJ/EK 2drs tat ya looking 4 r all yr make 96 and 95. So loan wise, u wont get much. Da must is 30K plus. And those converted 1s wont b selling at 40K n below. So u do ur budget. And buying those JDM EK2/3 u will need at least RM10K 2 do a d series 2 B series engine conversion. That's 4 b16a EK4 halfcut. IF u wanna b16b then u would hav 2 pay RM12K for da halfcut alone without bodyparts n also da interior parts.
I totally understand that. My case is, I try to get a stock EJ/EK2,3 (year 95/96). I know all the cost.

But my main concern is, I just want to know what are the stuff I should check when buying a used Honda (not converted, just stock), coz I will be viewing a few EJ/Ek next week.

Hope this clear the doubts. Thanks.

2nd2none

Known Member
Sep 13, 2006
well, then just do a search coz da question u ask has been covered b4 and If ya fingers r asleep then i can just tell ya go wif a mechanic that u r close wif. They will know how 2 check 4 u. Good Luck.

Last edited:

chanl55

Known Member
Jan 2, 2004
Re

2nd2none said:
well, then just do a search coz da question u ask has been covered b4 and If ya fingers r asleep then i can just tell ya go wif a mechanic that u r close wif. They will know how 2 check 4 u. Good Luck.
Wah, just ask a simple question also so damn lansi lan yong.

geukai

Jul 25, 2006
chanl55 said:
Wah, just ask a simple question also so damn lansi lan yong.
It's ok bro. I just hate people who give those smart ass answer like "If ya fingers r asleep", did I mentioned I tried to search the forum before I asked the question.

Obviously this place is not helpful at all.

http://www.samarins.com/check/engine.html#beginning - That covers all but it is not specific for hondas.

Alright man, I'm outta here. No more questions to Hondarians in zth.

chanl55

Known Member
Jan 2, 2004
YEa 2nd2none. Are you BLIND or something ?

Last edited:

2nd2none

Known Member
Sep 13, 2006
Bro Chanl55,

I'm not blind. I've read his post b4 i post my say. There r alot of ways 2 search 4 da info u wan in ere. It could b he didnt enter da correct phrase 2 search.

Okay, I apologize. Didnt mean 2 make any enemy ere.

Seriously, if only u r a mechanic then u will know how 2 check out da car thoroughly.

Hikaru

3,000 RPM
Aug 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
photobucket.com
For any vechicle, gotta check the chasis if it was involved in any minor or major accdident and that could be tricky if you don't know where to check. Bring a long a friend or mechanic who has the knowhow.

Check the engine bay to see any oil leaking.

Then if everyting is fine, request to have a ride with him to check out if there is any funky sound when travel.

Basically it's really basic stuff and if you don't know what to check then buy a copy of motortrader.

Beware thought that EK tend to have fragile undercarriadge which means all the bushes, driveshaft, steering rack are easily worn out after 3~5 years of usage so check properly if any funky sound when you drive the car. If the car perform like klok klok klok and seems like the wheels are moving loosely to each of its way then the undercariage are worn out. Be prepare atleast 2K to get everything replaced which is also your bargaining power to cut down atleast 1.5K ~ 2K.

Have fun.

chanl55

Known Member
Jan 2, 2004
2nd2none,

No apologies needed. Just that we need to be careful how we write things here. Comments like "If ya fingers r asleep" are very blunt and some ppl are sensitive to that. In short, it sounds rude. Anyways, all is good. I know your intentions. Cheers!

Opt-ion

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2006
Yup, Hikaru should i have known you earlier and posted these question... He's is right, you shuold check your sound from the lower arm too. Normal drive at small road does not hear the sound only when you have a chance to go on a highway or more turnings then only the klok, klak sounds starts. Try to drive it at least 5 mins of the car then when the bushes start to warm up.

Agl

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Outerspace
Visit site
Actually bring a pomen is another issue.

Let's take an example. If I saw a few cars in Motortrader, all cars in Johor, I'm from northern region, I don't have any contacts in Johor, do you think the pomen will follow you? Most of them will say, "cannot la, lots of stuff to do in workshop...", if they are willing to follow, I'm sure you might need to pay them some amount of money. So I guess, the best way is to learn what should be look/take note.

My 2 cents. Don't flame me.