My Next Upgrade: Suspension

Which type of suspension you prefer the most?

• Tein HA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tein Super Street

• Tein Flex

• Tein Mono Flex

• GAB SS

• Koni Yellow + Eibach spring

• Aragosta

• Spoon

• Others (please mention)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
I see there's someone voted for others. May I know what is it?

On second thoughts, I think it's better if I ask a pro to test my car.

YH: May I know what's done? What suspensions are you using? Bro, you remember that night we had TT, Redice was also using DB8 and he also suggested Tein HA right?

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

I see there's someone voted for others. May I know what is it?

On second thoughts, I think it's better if I ask a pro to test my car.

YH: May I know what's done? What suspensions are you using? Bro, you remember that night we had TT, Redice was also using DB8 and he also suggested Tein HA right?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
After installing the adjustables & adjust the height, drex getting ready to drive the car out and do all the above mentioned by Izso for a 'butt testing' around his shop. Since it is only around the area, I did not fasten my seatbelt the moment I get into the car but then he immediately asked me twice "Are you sure that you do not want to fasten your seatbelt?". The journey was fun I got to say until my traction control kicks in, and thank God I belted :biggrin:

I'm on GAB HA by the way. Yup, reddice did suggest Tein HA too, and also a brand (I forgot what was it) that was quite harsh even until when he sits in the home sofa he still feels the bumpiness.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
madman: Seriously, after seeing your explanation, I'm quite convinced with GAB since its good and cheap. But why doesn't it come with EDFC or something like that? I mean I seriously think I need that. Is it difficult to change the hi/low soft/hard thing manually? Can I do it myself without much trouble? Or must I send it to shop every time I wanna readjust them?
Hi/lo/soft/hard adjustables are pretty simple to adjust if you have easy access to the absorbers (like my bare-no-plastic-boot Wira.. easy access). The hi-lo adjustment will need the special adjusters to turn the placement of the springs (in some case the body itself called 'body shift' so it doesn't compress the spring when you adjust). To adjust the soft-hard is just turning a knob at the top of the absorber which is normally sticking out when you open your hood and boot (assuming it's exposed). What the EDFC does is just electronically control these knobs from inside the car - that's it. Otherwise it's just a matter of how many clicks hard/soft you want to adjust and you do it for all 4 corners.

Not hard la. And people don't usually adjust the height, just perhaps the stiffness only.

If you're ever able to get Aragostas, I think these will cost way more than RCS since they are fully imported and pretty 'famous' amongst the tuning communities outside M'sia. Having said that though, RCS had a Scooby customer who gave up his Aragostas for RCS. That's saying a lot for RCS's quality.

At the same time though, there are lots of people out there happy with their GABs, Spoons, Teins, Improves, Titans, etc too. Honestly - go test drive yourself and see which you like the best. No point getting a 'pro' to do it for you. Get a pro to install it yes - get a pro to choose? Nah.

Btw, if you really want 'pro' installation, shops that use corner weighting to select the right springs is a good idea. I've heard a few shops offering this service now. RCS being one of them.

What is it? Corner Weighting

Otherwise the springs that comes with the adjustables specifically for your car make is usually more than sufficient for usage unless you want to go hardcore.

Yeehau : Your biggest mistake was assuming Drex would be testing your new suspension slowly. :biggrin: And seatsbelts are always a good idea!

carent9

Known Member
Dec 30, 2009
Selangor
My comment :
Koni absorbers + Eibach springs = comfort and stability. BUT handling is not to the MAX.. not as good as adjustables

GAB SS - pretty good for me. but comfort is not as good as EIBACH...

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
madman: Seriously, after seeing your explanation, I'm quite convinced with GAB since its good and cheap. But why doesn't it come with EDFC or something like that? I mean I seriously think I need that. Is it difficult to change the hi/low soft/hard thing manually? Can I do it myself without much trouble? Or must I send it to shop every time I wanna readjust them?
as izso has mentioned above.... EDFC is basically adjusting ur ride stiffness within the car via an electronic controller....it doesnt touch the height at all... EDFC is basically a luxury...not a necessity... n like i mentioned before...Tein's EDFC will require their pillowball mount as well...which can be noisy. and us hondas has easily adjustable camber kits in the market. much better than pillowballs....no noise

as for adjusting manually... damn easy...its basically turning a knob at the top of the suspension....front is easily accesible....and the rear not sure about ur DB...but should be alright as well i guess

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
How about TITAN?

As I know TITAN is totally customized based on your car. So its more based on individual requirement.
The same applies for RCS. But with Titan you probably have to go back to them to have them adjust it a few times before you're finally satisfied. But I guess that's a small price to play for customized suspensions.

My comment :
Koni absorbers + Eibach springs = comfort and stability. BUT handling is not to the MAX.. not as good as adjustables

GAB SS - pretty good for me. but comfort is not as good as EIBACH...
Probably true, but then again depends on what you mean by "handling". Do you mean like those supremely stiff suspensions found on GT cars and rally cars? Or for just street handling? No right no wrong la.

But for my opinion, I'd rather go for comfy Koni + Eibach, thick front and rear antiroll bars, a few strut bars etc, solid PU bushings and absorber mounts and comfy not-too-low-profile 195/55/15 tyres or 205/50/16.

Street mah. Performance and comfort compared to the adjustables equivalent. But I concede that the same setup with adjustables would be able to corner more agressively compared to Koni + Eibach.

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
dude, im in klang valley area only.... let us all meet up for teh tarik.... maybe at taipan area? i know an area nearby where we can test each of our suspension setup (even r3 n proton guys test their cars there.... for street application la.....)

i voted for others.... personally id love to go for ohlins.....but cant afford it...hahah FYI i have used HKS hipermax, cusco, and zeal...... been using this tein superstreet for about 2 yrs now....

my personal review, hipermax and zeal handle corners without effort n depends on whether u got balls or not, seriously it wont complaint n remains planted to the tarmac.... but to stiff for road use, even my dashboard rattles due to it, as for cusco it was quite ok but the brand is slowing down in japan..... at that point of time all "kaki" was going for tein.... so i opted for the superstreet instead.... even the hardest setup is still softer than the other 3 brands i have used.......

used to be more track focused so i didnt really mind using hks/cusco/zeal.... but since i have kids, the superstreet still allow me to drive agrresively at corners while being a liltle comfy on most road condition..... due to that, it also taught me to be more technical too when driving to the max cos it is not as stiff n track focused as the other 3 i have used......

BUT STILL....... I WOULD GO FOR OHLINS IF I GOT THE MONEY!:thefinger:

Last edited:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
ohlins is good shit...

if u can afford it...and if u can find it.. yum yum

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Izso: I meant being test driven by a pro like Drex perhaps. Not by me. Just to let the pro to test the car's handling and see what he thinks. It could be just me who thinks the handling isn't good enough. Hehe. I am just a novice, not even an amateur. Then, after that I'll get a suitable suspension.

Pro installation sounds good. Corner weighting also sounds good. Read that but still not able to comprehend everything. Maybe reading a few times would be better.

Yup, I have decided to test drive a few cars before deciding. Anyone care to offer me a free ride, preferably in JB?

madman: I think I can do away with EDFC. Maybe I don't need it, I just want it. So, it need not be just Tein or other brands with such features. So, I can adjust the height and stiffness by myself manually and not go to the workshop every time? Why this is important because I tend to have 3 - 4 passengers in my car quite often and I don't want anything unpleasant for them and my car to happen. Btw, just to confirm, I'll be driving alone most of the time or maybe with my gf. Then, let's say I have other passengers, the car will be lowered at the rear right? To avoid the tyres hitting the body or whatever that comes in its way on bumpy roads, I can manually increase the height or stiffness, whichever causes that, of the car right? Easily as well?

Another noob question, is 205/45/r16 considered low profile tyres? I know it has something to do with the side wall height but I don't know whether mine is low enough to be low profile tyres.

WPQ800: Too far la bro. I'll try testing in my area first, if no choice then I'll come visit you. I also read some good stuff about Ohlins. I see quite a few used ones around. If it is really that good, might consider getting used Ohlins as well. How about the comfort part of Ohlins? Like Tein, we can send to N1 or others for servicing. What about these rare brands? Do they do it as well? Same method I suppose.

Thank you all for voting, keep voting as I still have a long way to go before making this purchase. I have time on my side (excuse for not enough money) to test drive and then decide.

I see that there are over 50 who voted for others but I think less than 10 who actually took time to post their recommended brand in this thread. So, your votes would be helpful to me or others as we won't know what brand are you voting for. Thanks.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
height adjustment will have to be done at the workshop... its just the soft hard u can do yerself.

i wouldnt worry about carrying passengers...adjustables are usually stiff enough to handle it when its set at 1 or 2 finger height

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if money wasn't a factor surely i'll opt for bilstein or tein with edfc....

but edfc unit is already 1k+- (if i remember correctly)...not to mention the tein suspension kit itself....

if u still worry about comfort then i highly recommend to try RCS....if not mistaken is around 4k onwards...maybe u can refer here for some review http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...cs-suspension-velocity-sensitive-dampers.html

if that was still a little bit steeper than u willing to spend then u can opt for HWL or GAB that comes with hi-low+soft-hard function and covered with 1year warranty...this model also the bodyshift type where u can adjust hi-low by adjusting the absorber body itself instead of adjusting the spring base which compress the spring more to adjust height.....price normally around RM2k for common cars :adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Toyota Wish silver colour no. Plate PFY 81

lost at bandar sunway Suriamas condo (opposite ridzuan condo) pjs 10/11e around 11th oct 10pm - 12th oct 9am

the car is fully stock 1.8l, no appearance modification done, a small dent which is visible on the driver's door

Update: The security guards had found out what time my car came out from my apartment, it was 5:37am according to the CCTV time.
On...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience