Moving to Malaysia

[WLDCRD]

Jul 25, 2005
Australia
Hi all,

I am not so active on your forums but i have looked here from time to time. I am from Australia but i have a lot of friends who are from KL. I have come up to KL quite a few times over the past few years as i love the country and the atmosphere.

Anyway, I am looking into moving up there and i would like to take one of my cars up with me at some point. Now i think the problem is that they are both R32 GTR (one is street registered the other is being built as a track car). I dont really know how your import system works. From what i am told i can bring it up with me and get it registered (which will cost me a bomb) but i will have to take it back with me when i eventually leave. Am i able to bring a car in and not get it registered and just use for track purposes?

If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would help me out a lot. Thanks

Glenn

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
Motorsports AP. Im sure the guys here can help you out.

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
[WLDCRD];3599815 said:
Hi all,

I am not so active on your forums but i have looked here from time to time. I am from Australia but i have a lot of friends who are from KL. I have come up to KL quite a few times over the past few years as i love the country and the atmosphere.

Anyway, I am looking into moving up there and i would like to take one of my cars up with me at some point. Now i think the problem is that they are both R32 GTR (one is street registered the other is being built as a track car). I dont really know how your import system works. From what i am told i can bring it up with me and get it registered (which will cost me a bomb) but i will have to take it back with me when i eventually leave. Am i able to bring a car in and not get it registered and just use for track purposes?

If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would help me out a lot. Thanks

Glenn
unfortunately Malaysia runs the "Approve Permit" system which makes importing of a foreign car very very expensive(thats why owning a car other than the proton car is a luxury here). You will be taxed at roughly 200-300% of the the price of your car, assuming that its 15k AUD, you will need to pay a lump sum of 300% of the 15k. do your maths.

however if you insist, you need a copy of your car registration with insurance,write a letter to the Ministry of International Trade and Industry(MITI) stating that you need the car for personal use eg:work etc and wait for a reply. If they approve you will need to purchase a JK69 form(with a price)from MITI, your passport and justification of why the car is being brought into Malaysia(eg:employment with a local malaysia company, getting citizenship etc). If you fail any of those, you fail completely. If everything goes well, you will be interviewed and everything goes well, pay for the 200-300%. After that your car will be issued a custom clearance, you will need to take the car to PUSPAKOM(The national authorized road legal check body) for checking. If your car conforms legally you will have to send your car to JPJ(local road and transport body) to issue you with a malaysia car registration. At this point you will get your road tax and insurance in malaysia, only then your car will be legally "legal" on the roads of malaysia.

we do have people who hold the AP permits, ministers, politicians powerful corrupt business man with ties to politics etc you could bribe your way to getting those but it is very unlikely as holding an AP means you make easy money by importing cars(hell, if i have one i'd import a lambo myself ). Alternatively you could "buy" these APs at a price from students or ppl working overseas and will be back to malaysia, which is very unlikely as well(as they would have brought in their own cars with it anyways).If somehow you got a hold of the AP permit, you will still have to pay some import tax but at a lower scale, 50-100% of your car value in AUS.

conclusion is, forget about getting your car here, it comes with a price, either you pay for it or bend down to be an AP holders lover.

Last edited:

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Everyone try to get out from this country and a foreigner here try to come in with a baggage which most highly tax rate item in malaysia
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
Because u can't afford it here, u guys happily bashing the gov. Tax on car here in Malaysia is expensive, but if compare to the income tax with other country. Overall it still acceptable. If u not afford to own it here, almost the same in other country with low or non tax at all. Must remember most of that countries that u guys dream are developed country, the maintenance will be much more expensive than Malaysia with the service charge there. Plus with the income tax in developed country, I dont shock at all if u guys dont even can afford to own a car. If u cant afford it mean that u dont work hard enough or smart enough. If u still cant afford it while u already try your best maybe because of the luck. Remember everyone work really hard to be rich, but only few who succeed. U guys are just not lucky, yet or never, same as me :biggrin:. Just enjoy ur life and what u already got.

Dear [WLDCRD],
I think it can be done. Dont know how much they will charge for the tax of your car. But it won't be 300% as those guys above mention, since your car is used and not brand new. For the track registered it will much more cheaper. I think u dont mind to pay for the track registered since its will not cost a bomb as u want to register for street usage.

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
Because u can't afford it here, u guys happily bashing the gov. Tax on car here in Malaysia is expensive, but if compare to the income tax with other country. Overall it still acceptable. If u not afford to own it here, almost the same in other country with low or non tax at all. Must remember most of that countries that u guys dream are developed country, the maintenance will be much more expensive than Malaysia with the service charge there. Plus with the income tax in developed country, I dont shock at all if u guys dont even can afford to own a car. If u cant afford it mean that u dont work hard enough or smart enough. If u still cant afford it while u already try your best maybe because of the luck. Remember everyone work really hard to be rich, but only few who succeed. U guys are just not lucky, yet or never, same as me :biggrin:. Just enjoy ur life and what u already got.

Dear [WLDCRD],
I think it can be done. Dont know how much they will charge for the tax of your car. But it won't be 300% as those guys above mention, since your car is used and not brand new. For the track registered it will much more cheaper. I think u dont mind to pay for the track registered since its will not cost a bomb as u want to register for street usage.
if it can be done, it HAS already been done lol by alot of expats in my company. At most they are subject to the terms and condition of the "malaysian my 2nd home" scheme which an AP is issued for them still they need to pay for excise duty tax etc which is around 50-100% and stop yapping about how ridiculous the goverment is, IT IS THAT FCKING RIDICULOUS. and stop saying about income taxes when you know jack shit about income per capita vs income tax, hell i can even name you countries that is INCOME TAX FREE!

do you think that the AP system should be abolished? i said NOOOOOOOOOOO, because that means my cars will worth jack shit afterwards but EXTREMELY good for ppl like you to stick with your PROTONS and the GOVERMENT,

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
Latest Updated: If you are moving to Malaysia going to treat here as your 2nd home, you DON'T have to pay any tax OR need any AP on the car that you are going to bring into Malaysia (is either 1 or 2 units are tax free). This is what the Govt called Malaysia As 2nd Home plans offer for all the foreigner are thinking to move over here. Just follow the requirement on the plan and should you fulfill all their requirements and they approved your application, then you are good to go! Same thing happen to my neighbor, they just moved over here under the Plan and they brought over their Lotus WITHOUT any AP or Tax been paid or imposed!
What you need to do is to check out what is their requirements and starts from there, no need to be hurry to dig out any information on the AP and Tax Duty...waste of time and money only. Once you get hold of that dept that dealing with this Plan, you will be much clearer and direction will be clear cut! Good luck....cheers.... :itsme:

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
You want to live in Monaco or Dubai? Go ahead, people been fired badly now in Dubai because of global downturn. U lucky enough to live in MY, if you still feel the same. Just move out if you can find better place and better gov.

What a big deal with AP anyway? Its not the AP that cause the car been taxed 300%. AP you can buy around RM40K. Its the tax that cause you 300%, not the AP. Everything that want to get in or out MY need AP, phone, electronic stuff,etc.

At least I'm proud with my Proton and my Country. Not like you, only give bad image about our country to outsider. :sleep:

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
actually brunei is tax free too hahahah

Bump:
You want to live in Monaco or Dubai? Go ahead, people been fired badly now in Dubai because of global downturn. U lucky enough to live in MY, if you still feel the same. Just move out if you can find better place and better gov.

What a big deal with AP anyway? Its not the AP that cause the car been taxed 300%. AP you can buy around RM40K. Its the tax that cause you 300%, not the AP. Everything that want to get in or out MY need AP, phone, electronic stuff,etc.

At least I'm proud with my Proton and my Country. Not like you, only give bad image about our country to outsider. :sleep:
seriously i fed up with the goverment i heard that proton cars outside malaysia in 2005 have lifetime warranty esp in UK?If this is true guess who pays for that? i think we do and i think you pay for part of it too lol. 24 years and proton is still a shit overpriced car.

Bump:
Latest Updated: If you are moving to Malaysia going to treat here as your 2nd home, you DON'T have to pay any tax OR need any AP on the car that you are going to bring into Malaysia (is either 1 or 2 units are tax free). This is what the Govt called Malaysia As 2nd Home plans offer for all the foreigner are thinking to move over here. Just follow the requirement on the plan and should you fulfill all their requirements and they approved your application, then you are good to go! Same thing happen to my neighbor, they just moved over here under the Plan and they brought over their Lotus WITHOUT any AP or Tax been paid or imposed!
What you need to do is to check out what is their requirements and starts from there, no need to be hurry to dig out any information on the AP and Tax Duty...waste of time and money only. Once you get hold of that dept that dealing with this Plan, you will be much clearer and direction will be clear cut! Good luck....cheers.... :itsme:
i heard you are eligible for one car and have to apply within one year but you still need to pay for taxes, 50-100% of it.3 years not transferable i think and have to pay back for whatever taxes you skipped when leaving the country but i know a lot of ppl who exploit a loophole in the system and never paid it.

Last edited:

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
Under MM2H, u need to purchase a house to eligible for tax free on bringing the cars. 2 cars per person. And yes, u need to stay more than 1 year as proof of commitment.
1. My china agent has done it in Sabah.
2. My German contractor also has done it.

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Or you can purchase a CKD car free of excise duty.

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
hmmm my Japs sensei bring his old cressida to Malaysia free tax, if i`m not mistaken expatriate are allow to bring his own vehicle which registered under his name and can`t sell to others.Need to dig out what procedure needed.

pocong

Known Member
Oct 3, 2008
Common guys, this fella juz asking help on the procedures to bring his R32 GTR here not some shitty infos bashing the government policies etc. ZtH is not political forum. Cant you read his word properly that:
1. he was here few times and got many friends
2. he likes Malaysia and
3. he like to reside in Malaysia

Mostly there are all good things mentioned about Malaysia and us, the Malaysians that he concluded that to stay here. Foreign people seems to appreciate our Nation better than us. Even how bad tiz Malaysia is, I am proud being borned and living here. There is no place in this world better than here.

I have friend brought his Citroen 2CV from Holland. According to him, he was taxed abt 40% from the vehicles declared value. This declared value is quite 'subjective'. I think this can be a loop hole to save the amount paid for tax by declaring lower value. My friend declarehis 2CV at and RM 12k hence paying RM RM4.8k on tax. That's my infos and somebody has better knowledge, pls help our friend here.

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
if you;re just using it for the track, look up regarding Motorsports AP!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Recently read newspaper that a taxi driver reported to police as he is been beaten by angry motorist:mad:. This is because the taxi driver straight drive to the driver lane after taking passenger.

Now day, this taxi driver like did not scare they will causes accident if they force their way to other people lane. Taxi meter bukan kira masa tetapi meter. Why must rush, other people and their self safety first la:driver:.

I do encounter a lot of this behivour with this taxi driver...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience