Mod SGTi N/A to max bhp

east

Known Member
Feb 28, 2006
Guys. Need your expertise to recommend on modding SGTi to max bhp on N/A. Not planning to play turbo or supercharger. Fuel price is expensive so got to keep N/A as possible.

What i had in mind is to change the cam pulley & camshaft, change the extractor 4-1, HKS air filter, polish the piston & stuff, wrap the extractor with heat protector, and finally install piggy back ecu. would it be a good suggestion, please advise? If yes, which would u advice first to mod? If no, what is the best thing to do?

By the way my SGTi is 99 with MMC ecu and i have my exhaust system change to 2inch and some air filter in it. One thing, i got to know that once change to 4-1 extractor, the whole car will shake, is that true? anyone using 4-1 extractor out there?

Tx

cHeMiCaL_

Known Member
Feb 11, 2005
4-1 extractor normally build for specific setup - which has taken into consideration of all the mods made. 4-1 is not for plug and play and that's why the result sometimes can be shaky-shaky. 4-2-1 still the safest performance bet. I could share my humble knowledge on manifold but sure will be a long and boring one...

what you've proposed is already about everything you can do to quench bhp from from your SGTi. If you install piggyback ecu, don't forget something that can electronically adjust your timing control. A'pexi S-AFC II + Apex'i S-ITC is a good bet. If you have extra money, go for Apex'i Power FC and find a good tuner.

hope the info helps.

kob3bryant

Known Member
Dec 3, 2005
1st thing 1st,dun ever judge the fuel consumption of fuel by the way of mod,i dun think fully n/a mod with same bhp will consume less fuel when comparing to another t/charged machine which share equal bhp but with stage 1 mod.and also the amount of money u paid for mod n/a won't give u as much as hp with turbo mod.

n/a mod:
1.skim ur height of ur head;so that the compression become higher.
2.high cam;so that it can open for a longer hour
3.safc is not a bad choice;but a good tuner is most important
4.port and polish ur inhale and exhale piping
5.increase ur block displacement by sanding,port and polish.perhaps from 1834cc to 1900cc.in taiwan case;they managed to make b16a to 1.9L of engine.
with above mod;ur car would not be stable as a stock turbo-charged vehicle

cooljas

500 RPM
Jan 24, 2005
cHeMiCaL_ said:
4-1 extractor normally build for specific setup - which has taken into consideration of all the mods made. 4-1 is not for plug and play and that's why the result sometimes can be shaky-shaky. 4-2-1 still the safest performance bet. I could share my humble knowledge on manifold but sure will be a long and boring one...

what you've proposed is already about everything you can do to quench bhp from from your SGTi. If you install piggyback ecu, don't forget something that can electronically adjust your timing control. A'pexi S-AFC II + Apex'i S-ITC is a good bet. If you have extra money, go for Apex'i Power FC and find a good tuner.

hope the info helps.
Bro,
Apex'i never produce Power FC for 4G93 or even the mivecs...

cooljas

500 RPM
Jan 24, 2005
kob3bryant said:
1st thing 1st,dun ever judge the fuel consumption of fuel by the way of mod,i dun think fully n/a mod with same bhp will consume less fuel when comparing to another t/charged machine which share equal bhp but with stage 1 mod.and also the amount of money u paid for mod n/a won't give u as much as hp with turbo mod.

n/a mod:
1.skim ur height of ur head;so that the compression become higher.
2.high cam;so that it can open for a longer hour
3.safc is not a bad choice;but a good tuner is most important
4.port and polish ur inhale and exhale piping
5.increase ur block displacement by sanding,port and polish.perhaps from 1834cc to 1900cc.in taiwan case;they managed to make b16a to 1.9L of engine.
with above mod;ur car would not be stable as a stock turbo-charged vehicle
Skimming the head will sure have a higher compression but then when we talk about reliability...the engine wont last long!There is a few way to increase compression,ex. changing to head gasket to a thinner metal head gasket or changing the piston to a higher compression piston!

when ppl talk about stage 1 mod it is equivalent to basic mods, which is
changing to high performance plug cables,spark plugs, change to an aftermarket air filter,air ram, bigger throttle body, adjustable fuel regulator and do up d exhaust system!

cHeMiCaL_

Known Member
Feb 11, 2005
powerFC takda untuk 4g93? i must missed read it somewhere...

convert to mivec also not a bad idea. would set you back around rm4k only. But then again, you'll be at square 1 and have to start modding all over again...

last time my gti mivec dynoed 152hp on wheel without cam or port polish. just direct bolt on + s-afc II. But the basic upgrade (intake, exhaust, fueling, etc.) was already done earlier on.

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
last time there was a modded na on hypertune with 180 brake hp.
may not seem that powerful, but i like the approach of n/a tuning

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
just my 2 cents, what u going to spend will end up alot more the playing Turbo or Supercharge....

Y a k u Z a

Global Moderator
Helmet Clan
Feb 16, 2006
Sydney, AU
www.facebook
Yeap,good point by G88,judging by the enthusiasm of your thread I probably think that you will spend way more than having a supercharger or turbo,so I suggest that you think it over thoroughly and list down all the mods and do a calculation first before you start modding =)

cooljas

500 RPM
Jan 24, 2005
changing from NA to turbo or supercharge, u sure will be satisfy...but remember if u wanna compete in drag events..don tell me u put ori turbo or supercharge u can win the other opponents...everyone has their own point of view~!U c if u wanna compete v other turbo engines...u also muz dump in a few more thousands to mod!
Y not use the existing engine n mod it to the max first?rather than using the money convert to turbo engines or installing a supercharger kit.....
lets compare a fully modded NA engine n a fully modded turbo engine, i guess the NA fuel consumption will also be better then the turbo engine...
Just my 2 cents of experience...

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
not to mention in races where ruling specifically states that force inducted engines will have it's displacement x1.7 in accordance to FIA ruling.

kob3bryant

Known Member
Dec 3, 2005
cooljas;
with ur so called stage1 mod;i dun think u can gain much from tis.

chemical;
r u sure that mivec only cost u rn4000?

hondamember

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
y dont u straightly go ahead for turbo charger? is it turbo charger more fuel wasted? i think the answer is properly not. am i rite? yup, as cHemical mention about, if u change to mivec head, u also need to start from zero.

kob3bryant, Rm4000 is enough just for normal mivec head and etc conversion. u from Kluang, rite? if u interested, i can help u ask my fren, he just get one mivec halfcut only RM3800. yup, 3.8k bucks only, because the halfcut from Singapore. Chop shop at jb. Workmanship around 1.2-1.5k, he just done and upgrade to 1.8cc and register v 93 block. all done about Rm6k more, and trade in his v6 2000 v 1.2k, so just 4.8k for all conversion. But he is not satisfied v the power. got a little bit problem. haha

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here's a video of an old Super GT event featured on Hot Version. Orido and Wakisaka explains the fun and dangers of racing, the thrills of battling each other and how much a weight ballast affects the car ranking. An awesome video, where great cars such as the Supra and NSX was still alive. Gotta miss this one!

YouTube - ‪LIFE IN THE FAST LANE - ORIDO...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience