Mercedes's petrol engine + diesel technology

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007

Mercedes-Benz is preparing to display several new frugal drivetrain concepts at September’s Frankfurt Motor Show, the latest being a new ‘DiesOtto’ engine that will be revealed for the first time later this month. The new engine features engine concepts that characterize both diesel and petrol motors, and promises to be as clean as petrol engines but as efficient as diesels.

The technology is similar to Volkswagen’s recently announced Gasoline Compression Ignition system, which works by using spark plugs during start-up and hard acceleration, while relying on sparkless compression ignition, like a diesel, during low load situations.

In an interview with Automotive News, a Mercedes official explained that VW’s technology is still several years away because it requires a special synthetic fuel that’s still in development, while the Mercedes will run on regular petrol.

Source:
Motor Authority » Mercedes develops new petrol engine with diesel technology

Lean

UnderCoverProject Founder
Oct 30, 2006
KL
undercoverproject.blogspot.com
Interesting information Meraboy , Can't believe that they have created a dual technology engine.=)

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007
Mercedes’ DiesOtto engine does 39MPG in a S-class

Interesting information Meraboy , Can't believe that they have created a dual technology engine.=)
Hopefully we all can benefited from it. here's even more good news.

Mercedes is attempting to beat rival Volkswagen to the market with the world’s first mass produced petrol engine that combines the torque and fuel economy of modern diesels with cleaner emissions. Efficient features that have been added to the engine include direct injection, turbocharging and variable compression. Unlike the VW design, the Mercedes engine doesn’t require special synthetic fuels and runs on regular petrol.

The initial concept engine is a small 1.8L four-cylinder, which delivers an amazing 238hp (175kW) and 400Nm of torque. Initial tests have seen fuel consumption at around 39mpg (6L/100km), and this was in a large S-class saloon. The engine works by using sparkless ignition, like a diesel, during low load conditions, and switches back to using a spark plug on cold starts and under full load.

Engineers have another trick up their sleeves. Fuel economy will improve even further with the addition of new hybrid technology, including an integrated starter-generator attached to the flywheel.

Source:
Motor Authority

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any sifu-sifu there can help me to solve my brake issue? I'm on evo 3 brake booster and master pump but after I installed the frt 4 pot caliper the pedal become lower position than before when you step it.

Any idea????:confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience