Mazda 626 '86 Hatchback ignition problem

Oct 30, 2005
Greetings all,

I have been driving this Mazda 626 '86 Hatchback for 5 years and recently it has a problem.

The engine will stop running suddenly when it is idle. eg. Stopping at traffic light. The worse part is, it only happens occasionally. Therefore difficult to trace.

I don't know my engine spec, hope someone here can tell from these pictures.

Usually when it happens, I just restart the car then it will run to normal. No weird sound or behavior.

There is one time where it happens again when I waited at a traffic light junction, it cannot be started again. I tried to start the car but the motor just go on spinning and the engine just won't start even I pump the petrol pedal.

Then I pulled my car over and call a mechanic. The car was able to start back later. Then while the mechanic was checking, it dies again. So the mechanic checks the spark plugs and ignition wires.

It appears to him that the Distributor is not supplying electric power to the cables.

So he dismantled it and cleaned it with WD40 and sand paper. After that, it is back to normal.

The problem gone for a long time (few months) until recently it came back. This time I told my dad what the mechanic do for a temporary solution and he did clean the distributor. But I'm not lucky this time. This method doesn't work anymore.

But I still continue to drive the car as it doesn't happen all the time and usually it can be restarted right on spot.

One night when i'm driving back home, it happens again at the toll gate when I brake to pay toll. It dies immediately and I cannot start the car back on. So the security officers came and helped me to push my car to the side. While they pushing along, I took the chance to try start the engine, like when your car battery flat and you try to start the car by rolling it. Surprisingly it works and I drove off while waving my hands to the security officers.

I returned home safely while trying not to let the car idle by stepping on the petrol pedal at all time.

I tried to tune the engine a little higher fuel intake but the problem still persist.

This morning it dies again during warming up. My neighbor came over and suggest that it couldn't be the electrical problem, it could be the carburetor being dirty or the valve is broken.:hmmmm:

So I post it here to ask for advice.:adore:

Some more pics:

Could it be this?

What are these??:confused: RPM meter not working:bawling:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all sifu's:
After sent my car to a car wash & polishing, there are some spots appeared on my left side mirror. Felt so sad that it doesn't removed even after I wash with soap. Any idea how to remove the spots? Help needed. Thanks

The real picture of it :
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience