Maxing NA BEAMS 3SG

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
Bit of both actually;Just wanted to see or hear the level of our local R&D based on after market parts.How near or far off from say factory built engines which require special/exclusive ECU's.

I ran 304/304 cams with 45 DCOE and idle @ 900rpm(4age) for street back in the early 90's.Which most people doubted could be possible.

'Having said that tho, I am not a fan of racing or performance driving a turbo car, as the lag and sudden torque-rush is not very enjoyable. An NA car is always more responsive and pleasing, as a pure driving machine.'

I disagree here. whether NA or turbo it very much depends on specific tuning for specific applications.Could always have smaller turbo for lower end applications eg the Golf GTi,volvo's;subaru's etc.
Trouble is most people(owners and tuning houses) measure 'performance'
based solely on absolute output(horsepower) figures while forgetting the application.I dont wanna flame anyone here becoz sometimes I am also guilty of this.

However anyone out there wanna share there mods on the 3sg irrespective of their reasons and applications.?

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
An NA is always, always, always going to be more responsive than a turbo machine. Depends on how sensitive you are as a driver. I totally do not accept any form of lag, so I'm really against a turbo as much as i can help it.

For sure tho, if I do have to go the turbo route, I'd do it with 10.5:1 CR, and tiny little GT25 turbine, small intercooler with minimal piping, and run at 0.4bar. Done!

True mate: Tuning houses are guilty of pushing for ultimate horsepower. But again, it's all about applications. And also, to each his own. I've done enough fooling around to know what I want from an engine: I dont want it to stutter and catch and be difficult to drive, because I want to be able to bring out the chicks and give them a smooth, quiet ride :proud: hahahahah!!!!

/adian

green

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
kl
here's the best awarded BMW turbo engine for these few years. Too bad I cant afford it...

Engine
: BMW 3.0-litre 6-Cylinder Twin Turbo

The longitudinally mounted 2979cc inline 6-cylinder engine has an aluminium alloy cylinder head and composite alloy engine block. The valvetrain includes 4-valves per cylinder with variable valve timing and lift actuated by dual overhead cams (DOHC).
The 3.0-litre engine features a two turbochargers and intercoolers, and requires 95/98 RON octane petrol when filling the 63 litre fuel tank.
Fuel consumption: 9.5L/100km (combined cycle)
CO2 Emissions: 228g/km
Max Power: 306hp @ 5800rpm
Max Torque
: 400Nm @ 1300rpm --->> :adore:
Max Speed: 250km/h
0-100km/h: 5.7 seconds

Transmission : auto/manual

If this aint responsive, then I honestly dunno what is...sigh

here's another favourite NA engine of mine..the Audi RS4 V8, too bad I also cant afford this..sigh

Engine: Audi 4.2-litre FSI V8

The longitudinally mounted 4163cc V8 engine has an aluminium alloy cylinder head and engine block. The valvetrain includes 4-valves per cylinder actuated by chain-driven dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) that feature variable valve timing for added flexibility.
The 4.2-litre features a freakishly high 12.5:1 compression ratio, which necessitates 95/98 RON octane petroleum fuel, and features a 63 litre fuel tank capacity.
Fuel consumption: 13.0L/100km (combined cycle)
Max Power: 420hp @ 7800rpm
Max Torque: 430Nm @ 5500rpm
90% of torque available from 2250rpm to 7600rpm --->> cool
Max Speed: 250km/h (governed)
0-100km/h: 4.8 seconds

Transmission : all wheel drive manual only

still the bmw engine is more responsive hmmm? I'll be damn....

Last edited:

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
bro adian,
so it seems you were a NA fan before turned-"too much bother now' prefer blown fan!!
Thought you were anti-turbo-hahaha.
High cam engines also have similar 'lag' characteristics as well.
Noticed your rides in your homepage-how did you drive(love/hate) your so called 'laggy' porsche! hahahahaha
also noticed a 1 JZ volvo-wanna 1 JZ your tezza????
Interested, I can show you my 'smooth and quiet chicks carrier' 1 JZ-VVTi

damn! :banghead: off-point in me own thread.!! hahahaha

porosaki

1,000 RPM
Sep 16, 2004
Visit site
Enough said..try our bro's 'smooth and quiet chicks carrier'
We can always be found in bandar tasik selatan.

Cheers....

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
Green: Yup, that's a fabulous engine! I went for the 135i launch drive at GotlandRing in Sweden (I sometimes moonlight as an automotive magazine contributor hehe) and it's a bloody fabulous engine! No lag, smooth as anything, and the torque curve is so flat. It's a completely different beast to drive: No rush of torque like a normal turbo engine, it feels like a big 5L or something. It's really awesome wei! And the exhaust bangs whenever you do full power shifts, wonderful! Here's a pic of me drifting it :P

Bump: Well, highly-tuned NA engines with a lot of cam can be down on power when they are "off-cam", but I wouldn't call them laggy... errrr except perhaps your 4AGE with Weber 45s and the 304 cams, that would definitely be bad-ass below 4000rpm. That's quite an achievement wei.. mad la.. haha!! How did you tuned those Webers anyway without a dyno?

As for after-market products here, forget it dude. Haiyyaa... maybe one day when I finally join you guys for a TT, I can share all my experiences...

Well here's a question: are there a lot of highly-tuned NA Tezza's around in Malaysia?

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
WRT the webers: -they were tuned the hard way--on the road.Fortunately my cams were set correctly and I only need to resolve the webers.

highly-tuned NA Tezza's:Not that I know of yet apart from some stock engines with TRD or TOM's ECU's.Waiting for fellow forum members to post.Most were 'blown' ;supercharger or turbo on 3Sbeams.Me (and a few converts) have gone the 1JZ-gte route and loving every minute of it!!!:proud:

TT:always welcome-most days we hang out in bandar tasik selatan-watching 'birth' of another 1JZ tezza.Bunch of us gonna be there tomorrow (friday) evening.Call me if need directions-012-2967991.

Bump: WRT the webers: -they were tuned the hard way--on the road.Fortunately my cams were set correctly and I only need to resolve the webers.

highly-tuned NA Tezza's:Not that I know of yet apart from some stock engines with TRD or TOM's ECU's.Waiting for fellow forum members to post.Most were 'blown' ;supercharger or turbo on 3Sbeams.Me (and a few converts) have gone the 1JZ-gte route and loving every minute of it!!!:proud:

TT:always welcome-most days we hang out in bandar tasik selatan-watching 'birth' of another 1JZ tezza.Bunch of us gonna be there tomorrow (friday) evening.Call me if need directions-012-2967991.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

While most people might deem having toys as a very childish hobby, you would just change your mind when you see this. Introducing Tomica, one of the toys that has existed over 40 years. It is very similar to Hotwheels and Matchbox. The only difference is that, most of the cars in Tomica are based on real life cars, mostly JDM vehicles. There are other American and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience