Manchester united football club

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Duke Red

2,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Earth
si|verfish said:
Right, I'm sure Houllier was easy on the purse at Anfield.
Which is why he got a lot of stick despite ending our wait for silverware. He spent a lot but on many players. We've not splurged on 20 million pound disappointments. Anyway the comparison you drew is with Wenger who to my recollection has not splurged on any failures. The topic was about why Wenger doesn't get any stick for making bad signings when AF does right?

Duke Red

2,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Earth
si|verfish said:
Right, I'm sure Houllier was easy on the purse at Anfield.
Which is why he got a lot of stick despite ending our wait for silverware. He spent a lot but on many players. We've not splurged on 20 million pound disappointments. Anyway the comparison you drew is with Wenger who to my recollection has not splurged on any failures. The topic was about why Wenger doesn't get any stick for making bad signings when AF does right?

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
I was trying to look for the list of players bought by Wenger that didn't quite work so well. The sum is not insignificant and he did splurge on some players IIRC.

The one true big flop that you guys keep pointing out is Veron. The rest weren't. So the comparisons with Wenger are valid, apart from Veron.

Veron was an excellent player with huge talent. Nobody could have guessed that he couldn't perform in the EPL, which was a case of the player not making a good transition to the English game and the team. It wasn't so much buying a shit player but a case of bad luck.

Fergie and Wenger both bought some fantastic bargains over the years. Both uncovered great talents. The only sore thumb poking out is actually Veron and that was explained above.

In reality, Fergie really didn't do too badly compared to Wenger. Which is why I'm waranting that he doesn't deserve getting shafted so much more. The reality is, United gets disected under the microscope more often and there are more ABUs that choose to make everything look much worse that it actually is.

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
MU are a famous club, criticism can't be avoided. That's why nobody here complained when Harry Redknapp signed some bullshits at Portsmouth.

Btw, MU have a huge number of supporters, much more than Arsenal and Liverpool have. And, when they want to start criticising about Wenger's poor signings, they just don't know who their names are, coz afterall, they watch only MU games. Therefore some people who didn't have much knowledge in EPL just didn't understand that every manager signs unsuitable players all the time.

Last edited:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
United is still the club that gets the most negative attention from the media and subsequently the public. Every little thing gets blown out of proportion.

Chelski will probably take over this infamous mantle sooner rather than later.

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Screw the media lar. Wenger doesn't even give a shit when people start screwing us that no English players are playing for us, and the English players whom he's interested were minimal. Some jokers from England said that FA should do something about it, coz they fear that England won't improve if no English players were given much chance, and then it's too bad for England in major tournaments.

See Upson, Jeffers, and maybe Pennant, they were just nowhere near the quality of international player, they were given chances at other clubs, but have not proved themselves yet.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Screw the media? I wish.

Thing is it affects the perception of everyone. Even the clubs very own fans.

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Haha. When the EPL hasn't started, we tend to discuss other things that are just not important. Can't wait for it, and in fact I start to miss World Cup already.

I always get to hear all sorts of negative comments on their own club, especially when the particular club were in some sort of crisis and whatever. But, when it's Sunday, they talk all sorts of good things, which were completely opposite from what they had in mind previously. I can't help but to feel pity for them, it's just too hilarious to bother about. I can't help but to think I am quite good at my football knowledge too, aaahaha. Don't get offended, not referring to anyone here.

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
hey...we must take note that veron's failure did not really cost 28.7mil
it was cushioned by the 15mil given by chelsea.
so it was not that bad afterall.
btw...today's paper say Ribery is heading to london
from man u's point of view...
let's hope not...haha

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Very unlikely he'll go to Arsenal. You actually trust the stuff from English newspapers? I'm surprised The Star put it on the backpage considering these are just rumours. I'd only start to believe if arsenal.com reports it.

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
I only watched the oxford friendly on sportscenter. 3 wonderful goals from solksjaer and ronaldo. And i read on manutd.com that ronaldo was given a standing ovation from the man utd fans. Good to hear that. And he can even smile when coming on to the pitch for the 2nd half.

I hope this season is gonna be the best for him so far. Let his feet do the talking

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Yup the 2 goals he scored were very unlike the Ronaldo we are used to. Ronaldo used to snatch at opportunities, rushing into things and overdoing it. Those 2 goals against Oxford were composure personified. Ole would have been proud of those goals.

I too hope that this season will be the one where Ronaldo finally grows up into the player he should be.

thteh86

2,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Subang Jaya, Ma
Visit site
it seemed that the harsh criticism from the england fans and also the support from Ferguson has made him grew. He's a special talent that any team would love to have him, nowadays.... :) Real Madrid lost out on a special player though, hehehehehe

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Man Utd announce huge season ticket sales

Manchester United have defied their critics by record massive season-ticket sales for the coming campaign.

With the Sunday evening deadline for sales fast approaching, the Red Devils claim the existing number of tickets sold, including those in executive areas at Old Trafford, has now reached 64,000.

When the normal allocation reserved for away supporters is included, it would take the club to within touching distance of the 67,500 capacity of previous campaigns. Capacity now stands at 76,000 with the opening of new quadrants.

The impressive sales figure, way in excess of any other Premiership club's ground capacity, has come in the face of continued opposition among more militant groups of United fans to the ownership of Malcolm Glazer.

Chants against Glazer have been heard at most United pre-season games since they returned from last month's tour of South Africa, although the feeling inside Old Trafford is that the worst is now over and the club can start to move forward with increasing confidence under their new owners.

'This is fantastic news,' said a club spokesman.

'We have almost sold as many tickets for every game before the start of the season than we had as an entire capacity last year.

'It is a record figure, not just for us but for English football as a whole and something we are very proud of.

'It shows that United fans are continuing to support the team at Old Trafford in huge numbers.'

Supporters who want season tickets but fail to meet Sunday's deadline will be placed on the waiting list created by the club when they confirmed they were launching a special one-year season ticket earlier in the summer.

However, it seems doubtful such hefty support will translates into a healthy gate for Saturday's friendly with Sevilla.

Having tried, and failed, to attract Barcelona and Real Madrid for the game, which officially opens the new quadrants, and with Italian football in chaos following the match-fixing scandal, United were forced to plump for last season's UEFA Cup winners as their `big-name' opposition.

But it appears the United support have been unimpressed by the choice of opponent and, like most clubs, Old Trafford's capacity is not likely to be tested.
United and Old Trafford is still the hot ticket, despite our recent barren run without major honours.

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
si|verfish said:
I was trying to look for the list of players bought by Wenger that didn't quite work so well. The sum is not insignificant and he did splurge on some players IIRC.

The one true big flop that you guys keep pointing out is Veron. The rest weren't. So the comparisons with Wenger are valid, apart from Veron.

Veron was an excellent player with huge talent. Nobody could have guessed that he couldn't perform in the EPL, which was a case of the player not making a good transition to the English game and the team. It wasn't so much buying a shit player but a case of bad luck.

Fergie and Wenger both bought some fantastic bargains over the years. Both uncovered great talents. The only sore thumb poking out is actually Veron and that was explained above.

In reality, Fergie really didn't do too badly compared to Wenger. Which is why I'm waranting that he doesn't deserve getting shafted so much more. The reality is, United gets disected under the microscope more often and there are more ABUs that choose to make everything look much worse that it actually is.
Well no matter what MU and SAF will always be in the front and backpage when there is anything happening.

I mean like Inter Milan (quite big team) signing Ibrahimovic (quite a big player) but it suddenly happen no news about it, no rumours, no nothing. Nobody cares about other teams. The limelight is always on MU and RM, more recently Chelsea.

Our season tickets sales also not bad so all the media doom and gloom is definately not true. Like CNN reporting on Malaysia their bias way of presenting make it seems like we're like Indonesia or Middle Eastern country. While Thailand is always portrayed as the Switzerland of the east and Singpore the USA of the east.

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
If I am some sort of Chief Executive in some XXX publisher, I would wanna create all sorts of banana news about MU too, coz as I have mentioned before, MU have such a huge number of fans and they would wanna buy my newspaper if I create some interesting stuff, right? So, it's always been like that lor.

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
MU always seem to be one step ahead of the competition.

They may not do well in the competitions right now but alot of off-field activities like youth programme, etc.

Duke Red

2,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Earth
errr how exactly are you one step ahead of the competition at the moment? Chelsea seem to be a huge step ahead in terms of the league anyway. In terms of youth development you have to bear in mind that many of your talent come from abroad. Not in a long time have you produced local talents in the mould of Becks, Scholes, Neville's, Giggs, etc. The next batch containing the likes of Greening, Wallwork, Chadwick, Curtis, etc were all shipped out.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
For one, he said "They may not do well in the competitions right now..."; which I interprete as in not ahead of the competition, in competitions.

Two; he actually has a valid point. Our youth academy might not have churned out the likes of the Class of 92 again (at least not yet), but it has been one of the best if not the best youth program in the land, for quite some time. You can't expect to strike gold all the time. A lot of promising youngsters have come through the ranks at United, although none (since that famous batch) have become top class players. This current batch has potential. And the youth team have won many honours through the years. In terms of marketing; the Manchester United brand is still as strong as ever, even though success on the pitch have not been achieved recently.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

Kena potong by a workshop that changed my ori 4G15 carburetor to a china made carburetor. At first idling high which was adjusted back, then now the car can die by itself and cannot start back. Brought to my trusted mechanic which claims is the carburetor problem but the "potong" workshop says its not the carburetor's problem giving 101 excuses.

Anyhow long story cut short i need a replacement 4G15 carburetor to replace the china version but mech can't source for it. Can...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience