Making of 1/24 Tamiya Ford Focus WRC '99

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
Hi..

Starting a new built after finishing 1/12 Tamiya Yamaha YZF-R1.. built that bike for my friend..

This time, as the title suggest, i'm going to start another car built.. it is 1/24 Tamiya Ford Focus WRC '99.. got this kit from ayoi (
if i'm not mistaken... right ayoi??) quiet sometime ago..

The main challenge in this Ford Focus kit is the 2-tone body color.. we are talking about the 2-tone curve line.. and just fyi, this is my 1st time doing the 2-tone curve line.. wish me luck :biggrin:

enuff talking.. to the action :burnout:

Photo from 99 WRC season as starter:

basically i'm building something like that.. with some differences as the kit issued by Tamiya.. Tamiya issue the kit with MARTINI livery

The box art:

Content of the kit:

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
Starting the built by doing some routine inspection.. and as what we can expect from Tamiya.. the kit are finely produce

sanding-off mold line:

the photo doesn't clearly show mold lines.. sanded-off mold lines from front and rear bumper.. other than that, the car body look just fine

attach front air-duct:

i'm not following 100% tamiya instructions from the sheet.. attached a few parts to car body prior to painting

attach roof-scoop:

sanded car body ready for priming:

its going to be straight OOB built.. with no fancy stuff..

more to come... :biggrin:

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
Painting the rear light..
using x-27: Tamiya clear red & x-26: Tamiya clear orange

Priming the body..

spray two coat of primer to the body.. inspected, result quiet good.. no 'orange peel' found.. :biggrin:

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
let the primer cured for one whole day (i'm not rushing here .. :sleep:).. then its time for masking..
as been told in my previous post, Focus WRC '99 will have 2-tone colour on the body.. not a straight-line.. its a curve 2-tone.. and this is my 1st time doing curve 2-tone.. please be gentle :bawling:

masking the body, never been my strongest point.. frankly, i don't like doing the masking :mad:.. very time consuming, and sometime can get very frustrated.. but nway, no pain no gain.. rite

i have a very hard time doing the masking.. if i'm not mistaken, i re-do the masking for 2-3 times :banghead:..
first few attemp, i do the masking blindly.. i got it all wrong :banghead:
then i cut the body decal, placed it on the car body.. and trace it..

let hope this one going to turn-out ok

guys,
any tips on masking??

appreciate your feedbacks..

C&C welcomed

Last edited:

ayoi84

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2006
great masking skill here..
last time when i get this kit, i was thinking how to mask the body..
good work mate!!!

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
great masking skill here..
last time when i get this kit, i was thinking how to mask the body..
good work mate!!!
ayoi..

thanks a lot..
as i told, masking is not my faveret subject..

- do you have any idea how to improve masking?
- what size of masking tape do you use??
- have you ever try liquid masking??

it took me quiet a lot of masking tape for that body masking

ayoi84

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2006
i usually using tamiya masking tape the small 1 and the big 1
donno it size ler..
nop.. never try liquid masking..

Last edited by a moderator:

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
hey bro!!nice work ur doing thr!ehehhehe...cant wait for ur finished product!=) oh yar btw....since ur doin this kinda stuff....wuz thinkin if i can use d tamiya paint to paint my car's emblem??i wanna paint d background red to make it look like those Honda emblem whereby d background is red in color...???

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
hey bro!!nice work ur doing thr!ehehhehe...cant wait for ur finished product!=) oh yar btw....since ur doin this kinda stuff....wuz thinkin if i can use d tamiya paint to paint my car's emblem??i wanna paint d background red to make it look like those Honda emblem whereby d background is red in color...???
Hi..

i'm no expert here..
but i think.. for your case, it can be done..

Tamiya paints are specially formulated for modeling (plastic kit) purposes.. so i believe it won't harm your car emblem..

one thing i'm not very sure..
finishing i think is OK.. but will it stand weathering effect??
everyday you park your car under the sun..

but nway, let's give it a try..

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
Hi..

i'm no expert here..
but i think.. for your case, it can be done..

Tamiya paints are specially formulated for modeling (plastic kit) purposes.. so i believe it won't harm your car emblem..

one thing i'm not very sure..
finishing i think is OK.. but will it stand weathering effect??
everyday you park your car under the sun..

but nway, let's give it a try..
let's give it a try??? hhahaha...any other paint type to use that would stand rain/sun??anybody got already opened bright red nippon paint(use to paint house dat type) can pinjam a bit?!hahahaha....

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
ben, I'm also doing my 1st z-Tune kit now. I just finished all the suspension, exhaust and chassis. My interior and body work is not done yet. I want to ask you. The primer you use is Tamiya wan right ? As I also have a primer. I notice that after the primer is sprayed on to the body. The body will look rough right? then have put it for curing. After curing what will be the visible result? I need to know. Can you help me?

I haven't start on the body yet so want to make a successful wan 1st. Then if i caught the technique. I will build my 2nd Z- Tune with full photo-etched parts...

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
let's give it a try??? hhahaha...any other paint type to use that would stand rain/sun??anybody got already opened bright red nippon paint(use to paint house dat type) can pinjam a bit?!hahahaha....
paint that can stand rain/sun = automotive paint (think so..)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I very fade up and very disappointed with this fella. or can this case count like scam. here the story

i friends with him almost 2 or 3 years already.i usually buy from him evo spare parts for replacing my car parts. last year , august i call him to find e8/e9 meters. ok and then i paid him. and he give me the meter.but the meter was faulty on kilometer and temperature.i ask him change. ok after that i ask him change to steering evo9 and i topup the money.after that after i get the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience