Lsd Gearbox Oil

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Any utmost recommended brand for Honda Type R engine?. I plan to use Motul 90aT (mineral base). It's ok? Any other recommendations?. TQ

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by aja@Apr 12 2005, 16:15
Any utmost recommended brand for Honda Type R engine?. I plan to use Motul 90aT (mineral base). It's ok? Any other recommendations?. TQ
[snapback]890437[/snapback]​
Depending on how u use ur tap r engine. If u only put it at home and come out to show during gathering or drag once in a blue moon, then u can use the motul mineral. Change at 10,000km. If u drive more than 50km daily, and frequents track days and drags, then shud use redline or kaaz. Can change it between 15000-20000km. Heard of the new motul ff type 2 @ RM200 but dunno how good. But end of the day, no point spending money on things that u don't really need it. Motul mineral's fine if u're on a budget.

To answer ur question : The utmost brand i guess would be the motul blue coror gear oil where they sell on a per litre basis at RM1xx per litre. :lol:

coldfish

Known Member
Feb 21, 2004
this is also a topic of interest to me.

i met a chopshop guy who runs a 4.785 ratio g/b with LSD. he claimed that he used Motul (not sure of which range) and the g/b grinds. he flushed it out immediately and filled in Pennzoil instead and there's no more grind.

can anyone here running a B18CR or B16B gearbox S80 (S4C) tell us what you are using personally? any problems? i'm new to LSD and my g/b is currently dry and waiting to be filled up at the workshop. so any info is good and appreciated info. thanks.

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
b16b here using the one i mentioned above & v happy with it.

wfei

Known Member
Apr 10, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
Hi coldfish...

Glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing it. I find it difficult to engage in 1st gear and it grinds some times when I change gears.

I'm using B18CR 4.785FD and Motul but not sure what range is it but I know it is Motul.

Wonder if anyone else experience this?

ARe-BeaR

Known Member
Jan 23, 2005
Used RedLine befor on my B16A LSD... for about 1 year... hehehe.... when new filled... perghhh so nice... so lembut when engaged gear but after some month little bit keras... hehehe... :)
Now try used a Kaaz... just 2 month... ok but RedLine more nipes.... hmmm...

coldfish

Known Member
Feb 21, 2004
wfei sorry to hear about your gear grinds.

as for Redline MT90, i found this article (copy and paste in browser).

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=001348#000000

after much research at bobistheoilguy.com, i'm going for Honda's MTL. unless it's an aftermarket LSD, i don't think i'll fill anything other than factory fill.

i also found this chart which translates SAE engine oil viscosity to SAE gear oil viscosity. so it seems the viscosity used isn't really that big of a difference. that's why Honda MTL can be replaced with mineral engine oil.

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by wfei@Apr 14 2005, 21:11
Hi coldfish...

Glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing it. I find it difficult to engage in 1st gear and it grinds some times when I change gears.

I'm using B18CR 4.785FD and Motul but not sure what range is it but I know it is Motul.

Wonder if anyone else experience this?
[snapback]898076[/snapback]​
Sometimes it may not be only the gearbox oil that's causing difficulty in engaging gears. Other potential problems are : clutch, clutch pump, clutch oil, synchro, or just a gearbox that requires cleaning and servicing. The vtec's have a potential to rev till 10k rpm (some1 told me he did that but i didn't do that :P ), so imagine the spinning parts that are subjected to this kinda speeds i'm sure it's scary.

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Guys,

I suppose Type R & normal Vtec running on different type of LSD right?. I notice 1 of my freind B16A running on cluth LSD (Full time LSD). I suppose my Euro R running on Helical LSD (Honda spec).

I reason i'm asking this is because i've told by my friend (non-mechanic) that Helical LSD should use the GL4 Technosyntesis LSD gear oil, which is good for synchornise. Or lese, the synchonise later will be in trouble. To support this, i coincidently meet a Honda guy, that running on rojak engine (don';t know what) & he use to drag2, now his synchonise almost kaput already.

Can anyone justify this?. I went to Sunway yesterday. All branded LSd gear oil rated at GL5 !

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
All Honda vtec gearbox are famous for it's synchro's short lifespan. To prolong the lifespan of your gearbox, change the oil and the right service intervals. And if u don change it, then don do high rpm gearchanges, and also don do high rpm gear changes when u r cornering. These will shorten the lifespan of yur synchros.

Frankly, i wouldn't spend time looking at whether gl4 or gl5. Just use what other ppl are using and u'll b alright. The thing is to change the oil when it shud b changed. They're just trying to cunt-fuse u with all the acronyms. :P

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
By the way, the newer model type r b16b/b18cR gearboxes have stronger synchros compared to the older ones.

BlackHD

Known Member
Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by KillerB@Apr 15 2005, 13:18
By the way, the newer model type r b16b/b18cR gearboxes have stronger synchros compared to the older ones.
[snapback]900035[/snapback]​
B ko,

how to know if synchros gone? any syntom or not? tq

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Guys,
yesterday morning i tried the Honda MTL (Manual Transmission Liquid). Damn good shifting. Cost me RM15 per bottle. But then, the car feel like so heavy to pull to higher rpm.
Later, at evening changed back to Motul oil.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys need some info and help.

My Wira got this rpm problem la. While idling, suddenly the rpm drop 9 9 below 1K and car shaking like want to mati edi. Plus after that my air cond change from cold to hot then car got no more pickup.. berat onli..... What is the cause of it??? izit timing belt??aircon belt???what arr....

Thanks in advance for advice...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience