Lotus to develop Esprit’s V8 on its own

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Fresh from locking its crosshairs on Ferrari, the battle to take on the Prancing Horse could see Lotus design and develop the V8 mill for the 2013 Esprit on its own, according to top dog Dany Bahar.

While the Norfolk based outfit are more synonymous with their chassis tuning and handling aspect, they’re also still an engineering firm, and a proper, well sorted one at that. Up until 2004, they produced their own V8 engine for the previous gen Esprit, apart from designing three complete engines for other manufacturers.

The report by Autocar suggests that if plans to develop its own engine goes ahead, the most likely candidate to receive it would be the Esprit while a V6 powerplant would find its way into the Elan, that is slated to follow half a year after the Esprit.

“In the mind of sports-car enthusiasts, Toyota power might not be good enough,” admitted Bahar recently.

Source: Autocar

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
good thing to self produce their own engine for name sake... but can the cost be control?
Toyota engine is not performance oriented (yeah rite... LFA, ISF), but at least is cheaper than develop a totally new ones...

E-CB3 - 666

Emperor
Apr 25, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
bro har1th7. i may agree on cost but its better in the long haul. as development may cost allot, lotus also can sell their technology to other company in making profit. in business improvement & development is a must for them to move forward. id say lotus had improve well in-comparison to 15years back. at least its not like parent company, cant build nothing but assemble lego again after 25 year. ( just my 2cent )

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
nice, make it 100% lotus! ferrari, lambo & porsche all use their own motor.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I like the design when 1st time I saw the pictures, and it looks even better in the flesh when I saw it in KLIMS. Hope they do make an equally good engine for it, worthy to compete against the Italian & German big guns.