Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Light weight crank pulley good or bad

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
1st things, i'm more to NA, not really familiar with big cap, big turbo here, if got oso, only L2s with some mod turbine.
so, i just talking bout NA here...
after changing the LCP, its really more better control of the pedal when i need some rev up to keep the powerband. but really big difren when rpm drop coz can play with some skill. after changing lighten flywheel, thats the big difren. rev up faster & drown faster as well. at 1st, it's kinda hard to control the rev coz i'm just a chicken kaki. after a few week of try & error, will know how to get in control, then u'll enjoy the revving....:proud:

correct me if i'm wrong, pls dun shoot me... just a newbie here..:adore::adore::adore:

i heard that there's ppl install the LCP into vios & cause their cars' power steering pump bengkok.
y is that happen.

Bump: i heard that there's ppl install the LCP into vios & cause their cars' power steering pump bengkok.
y is that happen.

Bump: i heard that there's ppl install the LCP into vios & cause their cars' power steering pump bengkok.
y is that happen.

i heard that there's ppl install the LCP into vios & cause their cars' power steering pump bengkok.
y is that happen.

y is that happen.

y is that happen.

ask their foreman who ketuk the rack 1...:biggrin:

last time i also face the same issue as urs....

now like to rev more some time .....
but most of the time i drive like an old man .... slow slow on the highway....

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone of you have any info on where or with who I can custom make a crank shaft pulley for my ride ? Mine is a Ford Telstar 2.0 year 1999 NA model.

Thanks.

i installed on Wira AB once, its on carb, 17" n its auto transmission...quite got some effect on it. the rev is more faster response...some oso say it can safe petrol too...

So LCP is playing with torque force. Is there anyone here have any experience which one is better, lighter crank pulley or lighter rim?

Last edited by a moderator:
LCP + skimmed flywheel, can beat the shit outta any stock car ANYTIME. So ppl are worried LCP and skimmed flywheel will suffer hill climb, yes, a bit hurting the pocket coz u no longer can resides on stock peak torque point (eg: 3000rpm peak torque). But it CAN hillclimb better than stock cars, but need to rev higher n more petrol is needed. It totally relies on the engine tuning too, too much highrev n climb Genting hill, halfway u can pop ur engine hood n experience engine sauna. Everything needed to be TUNED.

But mostly ppl uses LCP and skimmed flywheel, they also use SMALLER rimsize like 14", highcams, and management to overcome this problem of lossless of power during hill climb.

Just face the facts, LCP on a streetcar helps a tiny bit. Not worth to use LCP if ur car is not for thrills.

So, spend wisely. LCP do works, skimmed flywheel do works. They works very well for a race car, coz every little things moving connected to the engine, have to be light, instant respond, disregarding the noise, comfort or how much petrol wasted. The point is to WIN WIN WIN! U have to understand and see what is ur application using them.

To improve a stock car power, just rebore to bigger cylinders, end of story. If not satisfied, do port n polish. These are the REAL deals if u need engine respond to improve. U must compare and research, canot simply plonk in a performance part and hope it gives u kicks naturally with the way u drive to work like norm everyday.

Last edited:
did a search on the most elusive question about our harmonic damper where at last manage to find some hard facts...

Plastic hub torsional vibration damper - Patent 4302986

i would like to quote a few statements from above article :-

"As the crankshaft is turning, each incremental application of torque, as occasioned by rapid fuel combustion in a cylinder, results in a slight acceleration of the metal adjacent the crank arm. When the metal recovers, due to its natural elasticity or resilience, it rotates slightly in the opposite direction. Such forces often result in torsional vibrations in the shaft. In a typical instance of torsional vibration, an engine crankshaft turning at a rate of 3000 r.p.m. simultaneously executes angular vibrations of an amplitude of from one-fourth degree to one degree at a frequency of 150 to 250 cycles per second."

"Thus whenever any rotary mass, such as a torsional vibration damper, is added to the crankshaft of an engine, the resonant frequency of that crankshaft is lowered. Such lowering may bring critical resonant vibration orders of the crankshaft near or within the operating range of speeds of the engine".

"It will now be apparent to the reader that the inertia of a rotary mass fixed to the crankshaft, for the purpose of completing a typical damper assembly, should be as small as possible. In this way, the crankshaft resonant frequencies may, in certain applications, be maintained as far as possible from the engine firing related frequencies."

FIG. 2 illustrates the action of the addition of a torsional vibration damper of the type shown in FIG. 1 on a resonant frequency response of the typical crankshaft in an internal combustion engine, the ordinate showing torsional vibration amplitude being in tenths of a degree.

FIG. 3 is a view similar to FIG. 2 and illustrates a torsional vibration damper tuned to a frequency above an optimum frequency.

FIG. 4 is a view similar to FIG. 3 and illustrates an arrangement of a torsional vibration damper tuned to a frequency below an optimum frequency.

FIG. 5 is a view similar to FIG. 1 and illustrates the effect on torsional vibration behavior of the addition of a typical cast iron hub to a crankshaft.

FIG. 6 is a view similar to FIG. 2 and illustrates the change in frequency response of a crankshaftdamper assembly with the use of a damper employing a plastic hub of this invention.

FIG. 7 is a view similar to FIG. 5 and illustrates an optimum manner of tuning the plastic hub vibration damper of this invention.

hence, in summary, can we conclude that if we use a non-dampened LCP, would the crankshaft resonant frequency be moved to the higher RPM beyond 4,000 which is then is safe to be used for our cars?

Attachments

• Figure 2.jpg
    Figure 2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Figure 203.jpg
    Figure 203.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Figure 205.jpg
    Figure 205.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Figure 207.jpg
    Figure 207.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Figure 209.jpg
    Figure 209.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Figure 211.jpg
    Figure 211.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 124
what u said is based on research of "patented" test. But the LCP has been inside my car for 3 yrs n nothing happened. comon! there is hell alot of other vibration from various parts of the engine!

reviving an old thread. just curios. i was about to purchase one when i stumbled upon a site in US saying. these lighten pulleys kills your bearings. anyone seeing their bearings wear off at a ridiculous fast rate? please share.

I think different people may have different experience with a lightened crank pulley. I did mine about a month ago, bought a Mythelogy LCP for my MyVi 1.5 from EA Autoworks. Did not experience a lot of possible side effects mentioned by many users such as difficult to climb hills, air cond less cold and such. However, I've experienced the good side of it, engine revs easily and pickup is so much better with the LCP. :driver:

hmmm i installed this prev on my 4g15, and still runs well till today with the new owner, no bad bearings and its been i think 100k+ km ..

after installed only see positive results, easy to overtake, quick revs and so much more better acceleration. also using mytheology.

hmmm i installed this prev on my 4g15, and still runs well till today with the new owner, no bad bearings and its been i think 100k+ km ..

after installed only see positive results, easy to overtake, quick revs and so much more better acceleration. also using mytheology.

Exactly, but many people actually hesitate whether to get a lightened crank pulley or not after reading those potential side effects. My advise would be to invest in a good LCP and also get it installed at a workshop that is knowledgeable.

i read mytheology is dampened LCP, maybe thats why no issues. so dono bout the other brands... my flywheel also was lightened and no issue there....

however i know some mechs who still till today dont agree with installing all these lightened pulleys...

Last edited:
i read mytheology is dampened LCP, maybe thats why no issues. so dono bout the other brands... my flywheel also was lightened and no issue there....

however i know some mechs who still till today dont agree with installing all these lightened pulleys...

They always bash LCP and will start telling my stories about all incidents related to the crank pulley. :rolleyes:

a bit late to join the "old thread reviving", hehe, I thinking about getting LCP too.

dampened LCP is fine, even the brand without dampener so far no problems as i seen, not sure about others

some of us using ATI pulley, its good but expensive :)

dampened LCP is fine, even the brand without dampener so far no problems as i seen, not sure about others

some of us using ATI pulley, its good but expensive :)

how about mythelogy (spell correct?), i heard it is harmonic dampened too. not sure is it available for h22a....

Top Bottom