Launch: BMW X5 xDrive40e Hybrid + First Impressions

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com
First Impressions

By Tom Goh, "I was able to take the X5 xDrive40e out during the launch for a drive in and around KL to sample BMW's latest milestone and I was well impressed. Shortly after starting off in default comfort mode while familiarizing myself with the cockpit, I didn't realize the X5 was on full electric propulsion had i not check the dead tachometer.

The sensation of full electric drive in this X5 is virtually undetectable i must say, with the only clues being the above mentioned and the somewhat artificially assisted brake pedal contributed by the hybrid's Brake Energy Regeneration feature. There is also a display within the instrument cluster drivers can refer to.

While in full electric mode unlike most hybrids, the X5 continues to feel natural and uninterrupted, completely removing any perception of sudden stalling or ignition of the petrol engine.

As the X5 increase in pace and exceed full electric phase, its petrol engine comes alive to take primary role in propulsion while the electric motor remain in the background and continues to assist. This switching of modes and roles is thoroughly perfected, completely seamless and silent. The only giveaway? Its tachometer needle start to reflect engine revs.

City operation wise, the X5 drives brilliantly well and is well composed. Unlike many SUVs, the X5 is known to operate like a sedan and this new xDrive40e takes that engineering marvel to the next level. If anything one could say the X5 feels like a jacked up F10 5 series"

The Launch

Yet another newcomer in the new-but-exciting category in Malaysia; the premium plug-in hybrid SUV, BMW's new X5 xDrive40e is worth looking at if you are in the market of the said vehicle group.

The locally-assembled (CKD) X5 xDrive40e is an additional variant to the existing lineup occupied by xDrive35i and xDrive30d that are also available as CKD units.

What's the deal?

The new X5 xDrive40e features BMW Efficient Dynamic eDrive technology which marshals in the next chapter of all-electric mobility with zero emissions and at the same time delivering key driving dynamics in each of the models.

The 9 kwh lithium-ion battery alone can power the X5 up to speeds of 120 km/h and enables the vehicle to travel up to 31 km of distance and when working in conjunction with the internal combustion engine, provides extra boost during critical maneuvers such as accelerating or overtaking.

Exterior

The X5 xDrive40e can be noticed with the charging connection located at the left-hand side front fender, looks almost similar to a refueling lid on a normal car.

There are eDrive emblems on the vehicle's flanks, tailgate and centre console, and the exhaust system has a twin-tailpipe design with trapezoidal-shaped tips.

The xDrive40e also comes standard with M Sport Aerodynamic Package, Adaptive LED headlights, LED fog lights and 19-inch M Double-spoke light alloy wheels.

Four exterior colours are available - Glacier Silver, Mineral White, Space Grey and Carbon Black.

Interior

Cockpit wise, the instrument cluster on the X5 xDrive40e is unique compared to the rest of the lineup, this one on the xDrive40e has hybrid-specific functions and readouts such as say, the status of the high-voltage battery and eDrive modes and more.

The sacrifice on the innovative hybrid system is that the xDrive40e is only capable of carrying five occupants (including the driver), unlike the xDrive35i and xDrive30d which both are a seven-seater.

Upholstery shades are available in two choices - Leather Dakota Terra or Leather Dakota Black.

Powertrain

Being the most important aspect of the car, the powertrain in the X5 xDrive40e is the award-winning 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine, coupled by a high-voltage 9.2 kWh lithium ion battery.

The internal combustion engine on the xDrive40e produces 245hp and 350Nm of torque, however the combined output of the entire system (including the electric motor) makes for 313hp and 450Nm of torque.

Transmission unit in the the XDrive40e is an 8-speed automatic.

The vehicle setup and characteristics can be governed by the two main controls; Driving Experience Control and eDrive button.

Driving Experience Control alters the throttle mapping, steering, adaptive suspension and gearbox responses, all in three different modes - Comfort, Sport and Eco Pro.

Meanwhile, the eDrive button manages the power and energy control in three modes:

• AUTO eDrive - engine and electric motor works in high efficiency
  • MAX eDrive - all-electric mode, powered solely by the electric motor
  • SAVE Battery - saves and builds up energy in the high-voltage battery for later point of
    time

There are also Brake Energy Regeneration function to ensure that kinetic energy are exchanged to the form of stored energy in the high-voltage battery.

Safety

The xDrive40e is equipped with a host of Driving Assistant system such as Lane Departure Warning, City/Pedestrian Collision Warning, Park Distance Control (PDC) with visual and audible feedbacks as well as Surround View including rear view camera.

In addition, ConnectedDrive Services includes Intelligent Emergency Call, BMW
TeleServices, Concierge Services and eDrive Services.

Charging

The 9.2 kWh lithium ion battery can be charged by three methods:

• SAVE Battery mode
  • Conventional domestic 3-pin power socket - approximately 6 hours
  • BMW i Wallbox Pro - approximately 3 to 3.5 hours

2017 BMW X5 xDrive40e

Engine:
2.0-litre TwinScroll turbo, four-cylinder and 9.2 kWh lithium ion battery
Power: 242hp at 5,000 to 6,500 rpm, (313hp combined)
Torque: 350Nm at 1,250 to 4,800 rpm, (450Nm combined)
Zerotohundred: 6.8 seconds
Transmission: 8-speed automatic and xDrive
Fuel consumption: 3.3 L/100km
Dimensions: 4886mm (L), 1938mm (W), 1762mm (H)
Weight from: 2,305 kg
Price: RM388,800.00

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All,

I have googled this color code from Top Secret Japan/USA. They mentioned this is specially customized mixed from them.

May I know do you guys know is there any color code for this gold color?
or any other brand have the closest gold color which similar to this?

Need advice from ZTH Sifu's :adore::adore::adore:

Thanks in advance =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience