Kia Optima 2014 Opinion

peterwkc

Oct 13, 2012
Selangor
Dear All,
I'm plan to purchase a used car and i target Kia Optima year 2014 but i saw many people selling their car after few years.

Questions:
1. What could be the problems?
2. Please share the cons of this car as well.
3. What is the cost of minor and major maintenance.

Thanks.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Kia Optima is not a popular car in this forum. Best you check out the feedback online or in Facebook.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a Kia Optima used. You'll never know what kind of scary mess you'll be getting into.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Only thing is the Kia should be much cheaper then any similar Jap car.....lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
buy the car - yes. Fix the car - probably no
Replacement parts are expensive but should last for quite sometime. Engine wise is high in power but not much of low end torque. Its a looker though but i still can't accept the interior, as specially funky looking steering.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Replacement parts are expensive but should last for quite sometime. Engine wise is high in power but not much of low end torque. Its a looker though but i still can't accept the interior, as specially funky looking steering.
I wonder if the Optima has the same issues as the Cerato. The Cerato constantly spikes in voltage to over 16v effectively constantly blowing headlight bulbs.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, I have an old Hyundai and body parts are expensive. Many parts same as Kia. Only my engine parts, some are quite cheap as they are OEM Mitsu.....lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I wonder if the Optima has the same issues as the Cerato. The Cerato constantly spikes in voltage to over 16v effectively constantly blowing headlight bulbs.
So far i heard from Kia K5 owners, non of them has this issue. Even one of my ex colleague who drove Kia Cerato only has AC issue, the thermostat seems to be slow in kicking in.

For voltage over 16v, the voltage regulator at the alternator might have an issue.

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yup, I have an old Hyundai and body parts are expensive. Many parts same as Kia. Only my engine parts, some are quite cheap as they are OEM Mitsu.....lol
Hyundai on the other hand has more modders, spotted a Sonata with Evo VI engine, that really is an amazing breed. But with that heavy body, FC is gonna be horrible and the setup seems to be built for straight.

Thanks,
Ken

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hyundai on the other hand has more modders, spotted a Sonata with Evo VI engine, that really is an amazing breed. But with that heavy body, FC is gonna be horrible and the setup seems to be built for straight.

Thanks,
Ken
My Hyundai is the III, and uses Mitsu engine format. The older engine, VR4, Evo 1, 2 and 3 can fit in nicely. Like you mentioned it is heavy and body parts are hard to find and expensive.....

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
My Hyundai is the III, and uses Mitsu engine format. The older engine, VR4, Evo 1, 2 and 3 can fit in nicely. Like you mentioned it is heavy and body parts are hard to find and expensive.....
Opps sorry i meant Evo IV engine. Body parts source from junkyard also very rare and expensive. That's why when it comes to choosing a car, we need to know whether the spare parts are widely available across Malaysia. Like my case with 1JZ engine, i found this nicely conditioned JZX171 just within 2 km away from my appointed garage. I still have the full brake systems from this car and i don't know what to do with it.

For Kia Optima case, i have less info on it, but as far as i know, when picking a Korean made car, its better to choose the Hyundai.

Thanks,
Ken

peterwkc

Oct 13, 2012
Selangor
Opps sorry i meant Evo IV engine. Body parts source from junkyard also very rare and expensive. That's why when it comes to choosing a car, we need to know whether the spare parts are widely available across Malaysia. Like my case with 1JZ engine, i found this nicely conditioned JZX171 just within 2 km away from my appointed garage. I still have the full brake systems from this car and i don't know what to do with it.

For Kia Optima case, i have less info on it, but as far as i know, when picking a Korean made car, its better to choose the Hyundai.

Thanks,
Ken
Good info.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, my Hyundai Matrix 2003 tends to have slight jerks during idling, etc : at the traffic lights. However when the car is on the move, the jerking won't be there, it only jekrs during idling, any ideas on what is wrong ? (The 'jerking' feels like when u drive a manual car and release the clutch too much and the engine feels like it is going to die)
Korean cars are sooo hard to maintain
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience