Is paying RM999 for a 10% increase in HP worth it?

jasonchan

500 RPM
Jun 1, 2004
if mod exhaust n open pod can only get 10% HP i will rather go stright to ECU...cause mod exhaust will becom every noisy one...

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
exhaust modding may not be that noisy if rear silencer is left untouched.

normally, ppl say changing rear pipe is good enuff.

but the whole process start right at the beginning

from extractor, centre buller @ resonator, to centre pipe diameter.

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
air filters give hp increses according to the engine..
for instance..a stock car wont need so much air..and with the KNN filter..it will just provide cleaner air..which will NOT give u 5-10% hp..
for a forced induction car for instance...a KNN filter will give better air flow coz it NEEDS the xtra air...in this case..it WILL give that 5-10% claim of hp increase.

Battousai

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.durifto.blogspot.com
I don't think a good quality exhaust system and airfilter will be a lot cheaper than an ECU upgrade.

If you do the math, it costs roughly RM100 to gain 1hp, if we're talking brand new performance parts. Go figure.

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
for me..its all up to the driver..
an ECU upgrade will be like..."okay..that's 999bux and 10%hp xtra" thats all! u cant do anything much to ur ECu later..

but with 999 bux..i would choose bolt ons..

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
Lets get the clear picture first.

Those familiar with tuning and Dyno machine would understand how difficult it is even to get 1 HP increment. And in reality, even 1 or 2 HP increase will be noticable.

I have seen a lot of Dyno sessions for tuning, simply changing Air Filter and Exhaust will rarely give you more that 5HP increment if any at all - unless the previous Air Filter and Exhaust really lousy laa.

So if somebody offers me RM999 for 10% increase of HP, I would ask first if that comes with a guarantee. 10HP from a 100HP motor is quite a bargain and if the claim is valid then it is all worth it. Electronic mods does not require you to do drastic changes to your ride unlike mechanical mods.

Time and time again people would invest huge $$ in bolting on a Turbo or Supercharger kit and at most they are making at around 30 to 50HP for a cost of RM3000 to 7000 (if all of the hidden cost taken into account).

Over the years I have spent no less than RM20,000 (cumulative) on my ride, and yet until today I cant even break the 140WHP barrier - unless I a m willing to invest more on cams, standalone management, race-spec ignition systems and many more.

Power doesn't come cheap, and HP is not everything - for me I personally would love to make bigger improvement on Torque.

resilienthunter

I just want to drive
Sep 7, 2004
JB
Visit site
jasonchan said:
if mod exhaust n open pod can only get 10% HP i will rather go stright to ECU...cause mod exhaust will becom every noisy one...
trust me, once you start modding, you wont stop there. so might as well do it up slowly :)

exhaust doesnt have to be noisy, i changed my whole exhaust system and the sound isnt loud, in fact it to the untrained ear it might sound stock-ish.

have fun!

Battousai

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.durifto.blogspot.com
Concur with EFN. Changing air filter + muffler would hardly get you a 10% increase in HP. And if you buy good quality, new items it would easily cost more than Rm999.

rattan

1,500 RPM
Oct 30, 2005
www.itswat.com.my
The price is RM999 is a marketing strategic price.... jus say RM 1000 la...hehehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I despise big SUVs, I have mentioned that countless times before so I’m not going to go down that road, I just wanted to introduce this behemoth SUV, the Alton F650 XUV.

Apparently, the thing is so huge, it dwarfs a Hummer H1 !! Getting in for a normal sized person could be a daunting task, just look at how a person sizes up to it in the picture. The Ford F650 truck based mammoth is powered by a straight six, 7.2...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience