how to solve gear lag prob for campro?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

lkc

Known Member
Mar 3, 2010
petaling jaya
Hie all,i have a question to ask,can i know how am i able to solve the automatic transmission gear lag problem on my proton persona iafm auto?currently i don't have any plans to change to manual or other auto gearbox coz car still new,will installing atf cooler or piggy back helps to solve this problem?because i want to check 1st before i invest my $$$ on anything,currently felt uneasy when at jam or drive slow,the gear change like very lag and nolt so smooth,so i thought is there any other way to solve this problem,will replacing a lighten crank pulley helps anything on the problem i am facing now? :adore:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Hie all,i have a question to ask,can i know how am i able to solve the automatic transmission gear lag problem on my proton persona iafm auto?currently i don't have any plans to change to manual or other auto gearbox coz car still new,will installing atf cooler or piggy back helps to solve this problem?because i want to check 1st before i invest my $$$ on anything,currently felt uneasy when at jam or drive slow,the gear change like very lag and nolt so smooth,so i thought is there any other way to solve this problem,will replacing a lighten crank pulley helps anything on the problem i am facing now? :adore:
Haha how does and ATF cooler and a crank pulley help?

An ATF cooler is just for cooling the liquid inside, get that if for some reason the ATF is always high-temp, like for example if you do alot of highway cruising its worth it...

A Lightened crank pulley just lightens the rotating weight of the standard crank, but if you ask me thats the last thing you should go put on your car, its only a few grams different, why not get a drop in air filter or something else?

Piggyback I have no idea so im not gonna say anything here :biggrin:. Maybe though if you retune the sensitivity of kickdown (How fast drop gear) it should help? But again I dunno how haha :hmmmm:

Sorry ya im kinda noob but trying to help anyway :burnout:. All the best!

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
Hmmm, get the auto fluid change, then see what happens. You can try KNN drop in filter first. Then consult exhaust shop to get advise from them what piping you should choose. Apart from that, putting LCP will improve your engine respond below 3000rpm. You need to retune your engine timing for low end torque. However, all these I mention only gives little "improved" feel and better throttle respond, if you race uphill with a stock automatic persona you wont win.

Piggyback have very thin chance to solve your problem either, what gives you power is bigger pistons, highcam, turbo.....and once engine no longer stock only you need piggyback to retune your ecu readings to maximize your engine.

My advise is, dont do anything, if you really desperate, save up for a manual gbox. Saves more effort, money n time.

Last edited:

zenom

Known Member
Dec 17, 2006
gear lags usually cause by auto trans fluid .
err . maybe u should check ur ecu also .

and yes , save some money up for a manual tranny is tha best :D

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
ATF is crucial IF you always red line your engine, or always hit top speed in PLUS highway for 1-4 hours trip. If you only rev hard for torque and maintain a reasonable speed, then you dont need ATF cooler.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
lkc, i dunno what the others are talking about, but u shud be checking the autobox's bands. just use the recommended atf in your manual or equivalent transmission fluid

nurburing : u sure of ur posts? heat is the number one killer for autobox, if driven stop-go in the city, not so much for cruising on the haiwei

ham

Known Member
Jan 11, 2006
just go to proton or any workshop got scan tools to scan any error code in ur ecu...
then u will know whats the problem...

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
my ten years old camry has no ATF cooler, I am not facing any problems. lets be frank, owning a automatic wans to high rev for what ? drive slow n enjoy the music ler.....hehe.....crave for power just drive a manual 1.6 - 2.0 is already very satisfying. i've got also the new camry 2.4 automatic and its very very fast, can smoke 20valve but I also never bothered about ATF cooler. If ATF cooler is so important why engineers dint put it into all cars ? Only certain cars need it. Of coz anyone can add it according to their preference.

noriezmen

Jan 5, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro...

I'm using Proton Persona IAFM Auto to. I believe what you are experiencing is lag of response when you hit the throttle at low RPM range. I experience the same thing and its a bit irritating.

What I did to my car was firstly changed the Air Filter (K&N Open Pod). Not sure about the drop in filter. It cost about RM 500 together with hotbits piping.

You may feel some difference but not much.

Next step was I opt for new exhaust system. New extractor (4-2-1), piping from front to back (2"), and muffler (straight flow). Dont use S-Flow. Also, dont choose muffler with high noise as your car is auto. It cost me about RM 1,200 for the whole system.

These will improve your low end torque a lot and your car will feel livelier and more responsive. Try it and i assure you that you will not regret it.

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
Hmmm, you are the first person to say "dont use S-flow" for automatic gbox......Normally, S-Flow is the MOST important thing for auto gbox as they provide back pressure for the auto gbox to react......

noriezmen

Jan 5, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hahaha..... good for me i think.

FYI, i had changed 3 mufflers (1st - straight flow, 2nd - S-Flow & 3rd - Straight Flow). When i changed the 1st muffler, the car it great. Then, from information i gathered verbally and printed, due to same reason as yours (auto car should use S-Flow), then i cahnged the muffler to S-Flow.

After the 2nd change, the car felt differently. when you hit the pedal, the response is a bit slow and the felt that the car is not giving out all power. Its obvious due to i had felt the straight flow muffler during the first changed.

Then i decided to change back to straight flow and the car act as it should be. There are differences and you can feel it. It cost me a lot but its a good experience.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

As for the back pressure, agree with you that S-Flow will provide the back pressure required by the engine. However, I used a long centre "tabung" hence this is sufficient to provide the required back pressure by the engine. To much back pressure also not good by the engine. It will restrict the engine breathing system.

lkc

Known Member
Mar 3, 2010
petaling jaya
Hie all bro,thanks for all the opinion,currently my car setup is as below =

1.drop in works engineering air filter

2.4-2-1 extractor / bullet / s-flow muffer

My car did a major service at proton sc already,atf fluid and etc all changed dy,my car clocks at 43k now,i think what bro noriezmen say is rite abt the prob to my car,when drive below 3000 rpm,really not so smooth the gear change,i just thought that adding a atf cooler would help to cool of the gear oil faster so that it can perform better and smoother,also i thinks that installing a piggy back can help tune the car for better performance,but i also heard some ppl mention that piggy back is worth to install unless your ride is turbo engine or extreme mod,like my car small potato only i also dunno worth to buy or not,the thing cost 1k + leh,so far the power is ok,the only prob is the gear lag.

But i thought for auto should use s-flow is better and manual use straight flow?coz s-flow we need to maintain the back presure something like that correct me if i am wrong,then automatic trans if use open port very makan minyak lar,bro noriezmen[/B your car makan minyak or not?my car around 17 - 18 cents per km is it consider ok?and then i also want to ask,i saw in the magazine powerzone got sell this lsd for gear 1,what is it actually?cost few hundred,says there can improve frm 0-100 speed.pls guys,any other option or opinion is appreciate frm you all :adore:

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Bro...

I'm using Proton Persona IAFM Auto to. I believe what you are experiencing is lag of response when you hit the throttle at low RPM range. I experience the same thing and its a bit irritating.

What I did to my car was firstly changed the Air Filter (K&N Open Pod). Not sure about the drop in filter. It cost about RM 500 together with hotbits piping.

You may feel some difference but not much.

Next step was I opt for new exhaust system. New extractor (4-2-1), piping from front to back (2"), and muffler (straight flow). Dont use S-Flow. Also, dont choose muffler with high noise as your car is auto. It cost me about RM 1,200 for the whole system.

These will improve your low end torque a lot and your car will feel livelier and more responsive. Try it and i assure you that you will not regret it.
bro your exhaust piping system is under what brand?hotbits?i also want to ask you,original exhaust piping is what size?i didn't change my piping,just change extractor,bullet and muffer,i was just wondering if i use back my extractor and bullet but change piping and muffer is it possible?wah you use 2 set of muffer sure spend alot.

noriezmen

Jan 5, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, my car setting as follows:

- Custom Exhaust System (4-2-1)
- Long Middle "Tabung"
- Straight Flow Muffler
- Denso Irridium Spark Plug
- Pivot Volt Stabilizer
- Pivot Spark
- Fuel Pressure Regulator
- E-Manage

My exhaust piping got no brand maa.... just normal shop but recommended. Its true that auto should gearbox should use S-flow but depends. Its up to you. My car not suitable for S-flow. Not sure the original piping is what size but the new piping i used 2", stainless steel. some people say better use white steel so that you will not get the "Zing Sound" but i prefer stainless steel due to it will sustain the required exhaust temperature in the piping.

for piggy back ECU, depends on you. after installing E-Manage, only increase 6 whp. But it drops the fuel consumption. now the consumption is 9.2 liter/100 km.

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
I see, loooooong centre mid box helps, I am also using a big big midbox but still using S-flow, hahah! Just dont buy those useless bullet, they are BS.

noriezmen

Jan 5, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro,

I'm thinking of doing port & polish with 3 angle cut for my car. And also to install high cam from powerzone. For Port & Polish, i'm in a junction here, should i go to Nasty Port Flow or Powerzone. Most recommend Nasty Port Flow. Any advice?

In addition, will the port & polish and high cam effects the Campro engine reliability? Its just a concern because the engine is quite new (37,000 km). And do you know how much power gain i will be expecting? Currently the car running at 96 Whp.

from some information i gather, for port & polish, you will not gain HP but will increase your top speed? Any comments?

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
I did my porting with Nasty Port Flow, hehehe.....The result is superb. And I am also running with a 262 street cam. What I can share with you, is it is good for everyday drivability. The power is very good compare to stock.

If I remember correctly, my Nasty Port Flow porting job costs me Rm850. Anything more detail u can pm me :)

noriezmen

Jan 5, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, the cost RM 850 for nasty Port Flow port & polish? for Campro 1.6? Its cheap bro! with 3 angle cut? I thought it cost around RM 1400 - RM 1600? any increase in whp?

The 262 cam, where did you bought it and how much? understand that after the port & polish and high cam, i will need to change the exhaust piping to 2.5". Is it true?

Ratbit

Known Member
Feb 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
my setting is :

-custom exhaust system 4-1-1
-2" piping
-long middle tornado bullet (Thrust) *dunno original or not
-S flow muffler (Apexi) *dunno original or not
-NGK Iridium spark plug
-Hot Inazma Hyper + System Up Kit
-K&N open pod air filter