how to make DIY shiftlight

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
wah.. nobody done this before?
wait for it. im gonna DIY this soon for my car but need to do some r&d first.
if success, then i post in DIY section.

any success story yet?

If we can tap voltage input to tacho's coil, then all we need is an analog comparator with a variable resistor to determine which is the comparison point to flag a "higher than reference" condition. This is the low-voltage stage. Run the output to a Schmitt trigger (positive feedback op-amp only) to turn the signal into a higher-voltage on or off instead of a variable signal, and to a voltage-follower amp (buffer op-amp) to drive a lamp.

I think this entire circuit can be designed from a few op-amp ICs.. but since the moving coil input voltages are usually very small, that will mean we'll need a small reference voltage also.. so we might need a low-voltage reference output IC also, e.g. a temperature-stable 2-volt reference IC.

haha.. i tried to search the rpm signal from standard connector of my car.. but cant find any.

now thinking to do my own detection by a simple coil wound around the plug cable. wahaha..

but, this r&d is difficult cause i dont have an oscilloscope.:banghead: lend me an oscilloscope then i can finish it in 1 day.

Bump: haha.. i tried to search the rpm signal from standard connector of my car.. but cant find any.

now thinking to do my own detection by a simple coil wound around the plug cable. wahaha..

but, this r&d is difficult cause i dont have an oscilloscope.:banghead: lend me an oscilloscope then i can finish it in 1 day.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom