How to find out if your alternator konked out?

netken

500 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
HamuHamuChan
www.2advanced.com
Having this problem where if my car don't start for 2 days, i will need to jumpstart it... happen for 3 weekends in a row...

Changed the battery to AC Delco MF but still same problem... switch to another AC Delco batt but problem still persists....

However, when car starts, charging show 13.0 Volt .... sometimes when idle at traffic light.. drops to like 12.2 Volt .. and even once to 11.5 Volt ....

And when engine is off, its about 12.4V only ... is this a sign that my alternator is a goner? pls help ... problem still unsolved...

Thought it was battery drain, checked alarm, audio, etc .... can't trace ...

Only things that i have changed before this problem :

1. Single fuel pump to Double fuel pump.
2. Original 80A alternator changed to kedai potong 120A alternator.

kage2099

May 14, 2005
Subang Jaya
netken... i used to have this problem too... my mechanic found out that my starter is not recieving adequate electrical power... he added one relay and my car starts without a problem edi...

have u checked ur clock and see whether it looks dim during idling... and when u revv ur engine the clock lights up to its normal brightness??...

if this problem still persists then most likely ur alternator is screwed... but before u make that conclusion, do bring it to ur trusted mechanic and have it looked at...

I

Indecided

Hmm, netken, looks like you could use a new alternator...the Merc ah? 80A to 120A...ouch, you may be pushing the battery and/or your engine quite a tad harder don't you think?

Check the alternator belt or something. if your voltage drops below 12v while idling it could mean that your alternator isn't doing a good job at charging your battery.. and considering the plethora of ICE and what-not connected in your car, I won't be suprised.... draining directly from the battery.

Or it could simply be the alternator :)

Darth

Known Member
May 10, 2005
Selangor
start ur engine.....take out one of the battery terminal...weather positive or negative....if the alternator in good condition.....the engine will running...if not the engine will die...indicates ur alternator already kong.....cannot restore power voltage....even if ur alternator is okay...u can take out the battery out...and engine still can running :D

Last edited:

netken

500 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
HamuHamuChan
www.2advanced.com
still got problem ....

thanks guys for you reply, i actually had some problems of the dashboard lights dimming recently, have not experience this before! and i think the acc. shop. put in some relay or perhaps re-wire it direct from batt or something, so that kinda of solve the problem....

i heavily suspect it is the alternator cos it is ala' 120A kedai potong compared to the original 80A ....

Darth, tried that method and the engine still can run.... Kage, i think i can't start because the volt always drop to about below 12 Volt.. even once to 10.8V during the 2 day weekend... so i think cranking power is definitely low....

Indecided, here's the deal :

Alternator 120A > Warns 120A Isolator > DIN 66 AC Delco MF + NS 60 Yoko MF .....

Yes, i have 2 batteries in my car and the isolator is dividing its charging power between the 2 batteries at the same time... using 0awg and 4awg as the cables... car is also heavily grounded....

THe entire ICE system is on the 2nd batt only i.e. the NS60 and the primary batt DIN66 is for the car .... the thing is the NS60 is healthy and charging way beyong 13.5V ... and when engine is off the 2nd batt is recording like 12.8V, way higher that the DIN66...

about the isolator :
http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/battery_isolator.shtml

i know my setup is kinda paranoid... any ideas bros?

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
netken dude : Your ICE too POWER la.. :D time to upgrade to 60A alternator to power up your ICE :D :D :D

I

Indecided

60A? Netken's on double that!

Considering the amount of wiring in your car the last time I saw it in Raymond's.. Now that you mention it, a isolator? Wahaha. You damn keng la. Well, the weakest link in the system is what isn't standard eh?

Perhaps the current from your alternator is not being evenly distributed by your isolator and is instead happily charging your NS60 more then the DIN66?

With such a set-up, it's pretty hard to tell from the outside. Why don't you try running off a single battery without the isolator at the moment then?

4AWG for which battery? Why not just get welding cable, that's more vouch-able but not as pretty.

darkbob

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
Johor Bahry
hmm..

if u have tried disconnecting the positive battery terminal during the engine running and the engine still runs then its not ur Alternator.. must be something else...

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
woah, the ICE must be some ass whooping ICE man...until a single batt cannot tahan. with such complicated setup, i suggest you do a checkup on your cars wiring to the batts to trace any leakage, cause leakage is the worst thing someone could get and since your car is heavily grounded, i guess you wont get a shock if there were a leakage in either batts cause the current from one batt will just be grounded else where..... maybe that might solve it :D

in my opinion only larr might be wrong here....

netken

500 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
HamuHamuChan
www.2advanced.com
anyone know a good wire man?

those good wire man i know all very dark the bengkel and also the location of these bengkels are very scary and also alot of theft, etc..

recommendations anyone?

darkbob

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
Johor Bahry
i know of a wireman..

but he is in JB. where about are you ?

darkbob

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
Johor Bahry
hmmm...

hehe...

Sorry Netken..

hmm in KL i'm not so sure... hehe...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Super car detail superbly for ride and optimum protected

upon getting his new car my buddy drove over to want to get it detail and Protected

Paint preps begin by clay

rear exhaust....exhausted the rear looks and surrounding

before alien clean...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience